A Great Book for Dog Lovers!!! [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: A Great Book for Dog Lovers!!!

JPH102900
02-22-2006, 11:27 AM
My fiancee got this great book for Christmas and she lent it to me to read on the subway during my commute. The book was called "Marley and Me" (sorry I don't have it with me so I don't recall the name of the author). The book is written by a guy that recounts all the things that happened to him and his family during the life of his dog. I know that there are a lot of dog lovers on this site and I thought you would all appreciate reading this book. I never had a dog of my own and over the last 5 years I have really come to love my fiancee's mini dachshund and now I can't wait to get a dog of my own, despite all the crazy stuff that dogs do.

UnoKitty
02-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Former Sentry Dog Handler here.

FM 20-20 (http://elitek9.com/Books_Videos/manuals.htm) was the first dog book I ever read.

Interesting K-9 site:
K-9 (http://www.qmfound.com/K-9.htm)

or

here too. (http://www.uswardogs.org/)

kung
02-23-2006, 06:31 AM
James Grogan or Groban wrote Marley and Me. It's the story of our lives (My wife, my lab, and me). EVERYTHING is going the way that it went in that book. I actually wrote Groban a letter about it. It's like he knew my future when he wrote that book.

JPH102900
02-23-2006, 07:19 AM
James Grogan or Groban wrote Marley and Me. It's the story of our lives (My wife, my lab, and me). EVERYTHING is going the way that it went in that book. I actually wrote Groban a letter about it. It's like he knew my future when he wrote that book.

I loved his stories and stuff, my fiancee has a mini dachshund but he has many of the tendencies that Marley did. We though her dog was just crazy but now we know we aren't alone.:-D

linger
02-23-2006, 05:37 PM
It's the story of our lives (My wife, my lab, and me). EVERYTHING is going the way that it went in that book..

I echo that completly. Good read for dog owners, MUST-READ for lab owners!

Caught at the scene of the crime! :rolleyes:

Grogan has http://marleyandme.com/ setup for promoting the book, his blog, etc.

Junebug
02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I've heard great reviews of that book, and just thank my lucky stars that our chocolate lab hasn't caused much distress at all ... worst thing that happened was she got to be incontinent at the ripe age of ONE, so she's on meds for it (totally controlled now). We even got brand-new, grown-up furniture when she was about three months old, and she never chewed a thing! Lucky us!

(Cute pic of yours and the TP ... ours likes the cardboard tube, but doesn't eat through the tissue to get to it! haha)

As a matter of fact, here's Fargo at her best, completely sacked out on the floor next to me ...

kung
02-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Cute. Mine only chews her brother's toys (and the couches). Here's one of the couch she destroyed and one of her being cute.

Honu
02-23-2006, 11:16 PM
There are indeed some very good dog books out there, but the one that made a HUGE difference for us and that we recommend to people that are even thinking about getting a dog...much less if they already have one, would be "The Latchkey Dog" by Jodi Andersen. We tell people, if they are only going to read one book, this would be it. Of course we are "how to" book addicts, so we read a whole lot more than just that. I will have to check into this new recommendation.

Our little guy has a few "trying" habits, but overall its made a huge difference to understand a bit about dog psychology....and the training classes helped too of course.

This is our Dante on a mostly E driving excusion taking in the sun of summer at Mt Baker.

hiker chick
02-24-2006, 07:25 PM
On Drudge Report today:

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/05102517011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/10300000/10304839.jpg
Unlikely dog tale tops U.S. best-seller list... (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-02-24T161805Z_01_N23165948_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-DOGSTORY.xml&rpc=22)

kalinka
02-24-2006, 07:37 PM
The most difficult dog I ever had to work with was an American Bull Dog.. No matter what we did he ate the house. I crate trained him after he ate much of the house, but somehow in the crate he managed to grab the curtains and rip them and the rods off the windows and pull them into the crate.
No biggie we will just make sure that the crate was not next to anything, well this big guy somehow "hopped the crate by bouncing up and down, hopped it to the sofa and somehow sucked the fabric in and chew it up..

OK so I secured the crate so he could no longer hop it around the house (I have never seen a dog actually pull that off before) I got an email that night of the kitchen floor, he managed to break the tray holder and kick the tray out of the bottom of the crate and then ate through the kitchen floor.

I think that the bully breeds are the most creative when it comes to redecorating!!!

ADAMLSTL
02-24-2006, 08:31 PM
My fiancee got this great book for Christmas and she lent it to me to read on the subway during my commute. The book was called "Marley and Me" (sorry I don't have it with me so I don't recall the name of the author). The book is written by a guy that recounts all the things that happened to him and his family during the life of his dog. I know that there are a lot of dog lovers on this site and I thought you would all appreciate reading this book. I never had a dog of my own and over the last 5 years I have really come to love my fiancee's mini dachshund and now I can't wait to get a dog of my own, despite all the crazy stuff that dogs do.

I just got it earlier in the week. I had not read it yet. Heard it was great...

kung
02-27-2006, 09:41 AM
I met a Jack Russell Terrier once who could bounce a full-sized Chevy Pick by jumping up and down in his crate while his crate was strapped in the bed just above the axle.

ethos
02-27-2006, 12:16 PM
The book that helped me the most was "The New art of dog Training" -Shelby Marlow

as far as training a new dog. It talks a lot about dog psychology and why they do the things they do. It really helped me train the puppy I got a few years back.

hiker chick
02-27-2006, 01:13 PM
The book that helped me the most was "The New art of dog Training" -Shelby Marlow

as far as training a new dog. It talks a lot about dog psychology and why they do the things they do. It really helped me train the puppy I got a few years back.

Ditto on Shelby Marlow's book -- I've given away several copies, highlighted and underlined. Terrific resource.

:)

ethos
02-27-2006, 03:38 PM
When I first got little Lucy (my wire-haired Terrier) she acted up a lot (she was only 7mo old) but I was at my wit's end and end of my patience shortly after I got her. She chewed up everything, laundry detergent bottle, entertainment center, other furniture, clothes, my entire bathroom, etc. So I went to the library and checked out pretty much every book on dog training I could find. Shelby's was the best and since then I have also recomended it to probably 20 people. Great resource in deed.

3rdHonda
02-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Amazing Gracie (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=076111937X&itm=2) by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff is a must-read too. Gracie (Great Dane) was one of the founding dogs that inspired the Three Dog Bakery chain. I remember seeing her often at the original store (KC K9), drooling with her two doggie siblings as they watched the treats baking. Her story makes for a great inspirational read.

bsdowner
03-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Any dog can be destructive - dogs need to have a job. The best dog books are Culture Clash, Scardy Dog, Bones Would Rain for the Sky, and Don't shoot the Dog. Dogwise has several lists of books to read. Pat Miller's books are good.

My friend's German Shepherd Dog managed to pull the blankets and half the matress into his crate and destroy them. I guess his he wanted a softer bed. Oh, yeah, the crate was originally in the hall, the dog managed to move the crate from the hall to the bed room . . .

Ernie
03-11-2006, 05:36 PM
I was on a plane crying and tearing through the last 2 chapters of that book. All I wanted to do was to get back to my dog. Great read.

JPH102900
03-11-2006, 10:53 PM
I was on a plane crying and tearing through the last 2 chapters of that book. All I wanted to do was to get back to my dog. Great read.

Yeah, I was reading it on the subway on my way to work everyday and some days I would be pretty much laughing outloud on a train full of people and for the last couple days I was starting to tear up so I had to stop reading it on the subway.:)

hiker chick
03-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I bought "Marley and Me" today. Can hardly wait to read it.

Looks like it would be a good camping read.

linger
03-12-2006, 08:19 PM
I bought "Marley and Me" today. Can hardly wait to read it.

Looks like it would be a good camping read.

Keep some tissues handy :)

inspector16
03-29-2006, 08:27 AM
I've read that book too. And it truly is a wonderful, touching story. I actually got a chance to meet the author at a book signing here in Detroit. He told stories and elaborated on some of the stories from the book. It was a lot of fun hearing him describe Marley in person. He also talked about how 4 months ago he was still working in his little cubicle at the Philadelphia Inquirer, wondering what the future would bring since they were downsizing and letting people go. And then 4 months later he is on this whirlwind book tour, and his book is number 1 on the New York Times bestseller list. What a great story. Someone in the audience asked if there were plans to make a movie, and sure enough, he had already signed a deal for the movie rights. Should be a great movie for us dog lovers:) Anyway, if you haven't had a chance to read it, I definitely recommend it.

JPH102900
03-29-2006, 08:29 AM
I WOULD LOVE THAT MOVIE!!! But how could they train a dog to do all that crazy stuff for the shots?

JPH102900
03-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Here's a link to the movie information:

http://www.marleyandme.com/blog/2006/01/marley-me-movie.html

bsdowner
03-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I WOULD LOVE THAT MOVIE!!! But how could they train a dog to do all that crazy stuff for the shots?

use a real dog :grin:

Actually, at Camp Jackpot, we learned how they train dogs for TV. Basically, you train for part of the behavior then add parts (Backchaining for those who know dog training). The handler stays out of camera range and give the dog signals. Creative dogs are known to add stuff . . . most trainers use clickers.

The sad thing is, many folks adopt a dog with NO idea what they are getting into. A dog, like a kid, needs to be trained, needs attention, needs a job, and the like. It is not fair to expect a puppy to know correct behavior any more than you can expect a 2-year old kid to know how to behave. That is why pounds are so full . . .