Obit - Porter [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Obit - Porter

element au
03-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Porter, March 24, 2006

Beloved Flat-Coated Retriever of Toby, Hannah and Claire. Born Williamsburg, Virginia, 1993, the daughter of champions and friend to anyone she met.

Frequent attendee at numerous social functions. Acclaimed Frisbee and ball catcher. Brought joy and happiness to family and friends. Established world record for pilfering other Dog's tennis balls. Embarrassed about her dislike of riding in cars (even the E).

Found sunny windows everywhere she lived. Faithfully fulfilled ancient covenant between human and K9 by filling the house with companionship. Widely recognized for long black shiny flat coat, cold nose, wagging tail, talking when happy, and a complete disregard for pain. The Cal Ripken of retrievers. Friend to all that met her. Proof positive that dogs are good for the soul.

Our world was flat with beautiful dark hair punctuated by a wagging tail
Objects sailed tracked by grace and beauty fleet of foot returning them from whence they came
Keen eyes and sense of smell made daylight out of darkness
Reading in the afternoon paw twitching on foot - sleep is the time to chase rabbits
The tastiest birds come from a frying pan and are yellow
Blizzards beware for I am a one-dog snow angel machine
Rain is the dance that leads to towel and hands
There is no such thing as a bad day - only a day where ball is played indoors because humans are made of salt
Indians invented Lacrosse to make tennis balls fly farther
Other dog's tennis balls make excellent prey
The bottom of a lake is the best place to scratch your back
Only Pack Members are announced as they arrive even if they are first-time visitors
Anytime is a good time for a biscuit
Friend, companion, and champion of the house whirling circles in anticipation of playtime
The last ball has been thrown over the horizon of Our Flat World

You will be deeply missed and never forgotten.

spdrcr5
03-24-2006, 02:15 PM
:sad: sorry to hear of your loss...

kissya
03-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Losing a family member, is always hard....Sorry:-x

3rdHonda
03-24-2006, 02:30 PM
My deepest, most sincere condolences, elementau. Anyone whose love of their 4-legged family member can inspire such a beautiful poem, well...

My Bozworth just passed away a month ago today, so I can definitely relate to the pain and heartbreak you must be feeling. Just know that she loves you, she'll always be with you, and that the heartache gets a little easier to deal with every day.

Patman
03-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. We had a flatcoat, was a beautiful, smart, dog. She life was shortened by the liver (or was it kidney?) problems that seem to affect the breed.

tessa
03-24-2006, 02:56 PM
What an exceptional girl Porter was, and how blessed you were to have had her love and companionship for 13 years! I know you must feel a wrenching sense of loss right now. The acute pain will ease with time and you will think more and more of those wonderful shared flat times.
:grin: Scratching her back at the bottom of a lake - only a FLAT COAT! :D

Tess

element au
03-24-2006, 04:22 PM
:grin: Scratching her back at the bottom of a lake - only a FLAT COAT! :D

Tess

Thanks Tess -- Yes. And all four paws breaking the surface of the water. I laughed until it hurt. :)

hiker chick
03-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Deepest condolences on your loss. It is a terrible pain to lose a great friend.

They are the best friends.

:sad:

jurneez
03-24-2006, 07:35 PM
my heart has tears for you.
so sorry....

Barb
03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

lifeizgood
03-24-2006, 09:40 PM
I, too, am very sorry for your loss. If you need something to occupy your time, we're meeting in the Richmond area tomorrow (Sat. 3/25). It's just a few hours down the road. Please come if you're able.

Regards,
Colin
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21330

element au
03-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks All... Sorry I can't make it to Richmond tomorrow - Lots of things to do with Claire. BTW: I'm sorry never to have introduced her to all of you while she was with us. Here she is after making snow angels in the last big storm that hit us in Baltimore (2006). Best Regards, Toby

lae10851
03-25-2006, 12:05 AM
I am so sorry. All the dog lovers here ache with you. May Porter find peace on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

element au
03-25-2006, 07:48 AM
E-Friends of Dogs and Cats:

Thank you for your support and sharing your stories. Element owners with pets are the best! Well, Element owners without pets are are okay too ;-)

Toby

JohnE
03-25-2006, 09:56 AM
:cry: :cry:

You said it well.. Made me miss my Dogs and Cats that have left us... Sorry for your loss

KSB
03-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Very sorry for your loss. Porter was blessed to have a home with you.

Ken

PugMom
03-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Porter was a beauty! I had a yellow lab named Baylee who died of cancer 3 years ago. She was my sole mate-----------just seemed like we knew what the other was thinking. Definitely more than a "dog". I have a friend who won't get any pets (I'm sad for his kids), because when they pass on--it's so painful. But think of all the love, memories, and happiness he's missing now!

May God Bless you and give you peace.

LmentalMastiffs
03-28-2006, 12:38 PM
:sad: To hear of your loss! It's never easy, whether or not they enjoy riding in the E. :|

Kerri

ethos
03-28-2006, 12:51 PM
That, sux, I'm sorry. I had a black lab myself that passed a way a couple of years ago. They are the best dogs and we definately had the ET/Eliot thing going on. We felt each others pain, and happiness.
Except for when he licked himself, I never got anything outta that.:D

atomicdogride
03-29-2006, 08:05 AM
So sorry to hear about the loss of Porter....she must have been a very special and sweet girl. It's hard to watch them grow old :sad: when we wish they could be with us forever...

Val

element au
04-02-2006, 07:14 PM
A beautiful day here in the Baltimore area. We took Porter for her last ride in the E and scattered her ashes out by the local reservoir where she loved to swim.

Look for a post in about 9 months featuring a new Flat Coat Puppy. My bet is s/he will be named Fielder.

Best Regards All,

Toby

ADAMLSTL
04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Porter, March 24, 2006

Beloved Flat-Coated Retriever of Toby, Hannah and Claire. Born Williamsburg, Virginia, 1993, the daughter of champions and friend to anyone she met.

Proof positive that dogs are good for the soul.
You will be deeply missed and never forgotten.

Very sorry about your loss.... Dogs do have souls!
She is in a good place 4 sure.

KSB
04-03-2006, 05:58 AM
A beautiful day here in the Baltimore area. We took Porter for her last ride in the E and scattered her ashes out by the local reservoir where she loved to swim.

Look for a post in about 9 months featuring a new Flat Coat Puppy. My bet is s/he will be named Fielder.

Best Regards All,

Toby

I know the ride must have been difficult, but Porter is a happy dog once again.

Please keep us posted on your new addition when you get her/him.

Ken

tessa
04-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Is Fielder to be from the same breeding lines as Porter? Hard to mess with that success!
Glad you had a nice Spring day to send your girl home.

Tess

Wasabi
04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
This is the kind of thing I have honestly dreaded since a few weeks after we got our lab pup, who is now four years old. Our family is so attached to him, that I don't know how, when that day comes, my wife and kids will get through it. But I don't think any of us would ever want to miss all the amazing times we had with our pups in order to avoid that heartbreaking experience. I'm sure you brought as much joy into his life as he brought into yours, and I know your new pup, when you get him, will be fortunate as well.

element au
02-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Meet Nola at five months.

wolfhounder
02-06-2008, 05:04 PM
The great heart cracks; the mighty frame
In chill of death has turned to stone.
With silence in the empty halls
We sit alone,
Too numb to weep, too desolate
For tears or pain-releasing sigh.
A puppy stumbles up to us-
KINGS DO NOT DIE!

w. dammarell

Jet109
02-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Puppies can heal our hearts, but we never forget the ones before! Nola looks so sweet! She is a beauty.