Pugs owners, I have a question please. [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Pugs owners, I have a question please.

KSB
04-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Ok,

My wife loves Pugs. Well we just love dogs in general. But I have questions please.

Do Pugs snore? Our dogs sleep with us and I don't think I could have a dog that snores.

skourge
04-04-2006, 12:52 PM
From what I've heard, some do and some don't. Neither of my pugs snore loudly enough to keep me up at night. Occasionally one of them will snore a bit, but usually I don't even know they're sleeping because they are so quiet. One of my pugs sleeps with us (and even puts her head on our pillow). Her head is right next to ours, and she never wakes us up. But she does take up a lot of space for such a little dog! :roll:

jtays
04-04-2006, 01:21 PM
My pug snores sometimes.. It doesn't keep me up but sometimes my girlfriend yells at me to roll him from his back to his belly.

Any dog that has a smooshed face will have that.

That is part of the charm of the pug. They snort, snore and make some pretty funny noises. The better shape you keep your pug in the less stress there will be on the respiratory system. Pugs are prone to eat as much as you will give them so strictly monitor their food and exercise and you should have a healthy pug that might only snore lightly.

As well, you could think about crate training your dog. Our pug sleeps in bed with us sometimes but also sleeps in his crate and when he is in his crate you can't hear his light occasionaly snoring.

tessa
04-04-2006, 02:23 PM
I second the crate-training suggestion. Dogs like having their own space, their den. Pugs were bred two milennia ago as lap dogs and little entertainers - they are that, indeed. But they also are DOGS and like to den. Having crates also makes them so portable. Safely portable. Seatbelted or strapped in, they won't be projectiles in the case of collision.

Some good points about snoring made already, but let me add another. Some Pugs suffer from a condition called stenotic nares (consticted nostrils). This is a birth defect, usually genetic, and most often found in dogs from puppy mills and random-breds. In brachycephalic dogs (smushed face breeds :grin: ) this causes each breath to be an effort. They will snore. It can be corrected surgically, but it is wiser to start out with a well-bred dog and not support someone who is unconscionably breeding dogs who should be neutered.
A condition that can exacerbate snoring, frequently found in combination with stenotic nares, is an elongated soft palate. More surgery for the unfortunate dog to undergo.

I can't tell you how often I've had people come up to me and say "Oh, I just love Pugs, but I hear they have real trouble with their eyes. Do their eyes pop out?" Deep breath. "No. The eye should not bulge. Our standard calls for a large, round, expressive eye. Do you see his eyes? Do they bulge at all? Do they look like they might pop out under any circumstances?" The questioners all agree that no, they look like perfectly normal eyes. ANY potential Pug owner should shop carefully for a breeder, looking for a referral through the Pug Dog Club of America.
http://www.pugs.org/
After all - if you are lucky, that funny-looking little guy will be a blessing to you for 13-15 or more years. You want them to be happy, healthy ones!

stepping froom soapbox
Tess
yes, I know, KSB, you are a responsible, non-puppymill dog person!

tango
04-04-2006, 05:43 PM
I have a Scottie - not a pug. She has a very NOT smushed face and a large, most adequate nose. She is now a very trim and healthy 9 years old but as with people, age has brought on some snoring and some sleep groans that sometimes make us start looking for the drunken sailor under our bed.
All dog breeds can and do snore - I assume pugs in good health are no more prone to snoring than any other breed. Give your JRT a few years and you'll be looking for the drunken sailor under your bed too LOL :D

N8881W
04-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Snore? :shock: yes they're pugs and we love every minute of it. We have two totally black pugs. Foster is 2-1/2 years old & Fergie is 1-1/2. I didn't really want a dog when we got Foster :twisted: (if we did get a dog I wanted a Newfoundland) but I was also the one who wanted to get our second pug.:grin: Can't imagine not having them. They give you more love than you can accept and are hillarious to watch. They make you laugh every day. They also shed but again, can't imagine not having them.

Ours sleep with us. Foster is an under the comforter at the bottom of the bed pug and Fergie sleeps under the comforter between my wife & I with her head right in between ours.

We have an invisible fence and they trained on it really quickly. They love being outside and having the fence allows them to be outside and play in our whole yard when the weather allows.

We just started geocaching and the pugs really enjoy being in the woods with us. Pictures of us and the pugs under LOBRI on www.geocaching.com.

Are we obsessed? Yep probably so & loving every minute of it.

The main thing is to make sure you have A LOT of time to spend with them. Their goal in life is to share their time with people and I can't imagine leaving them alone for long!

Good Luck!

tessa
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Foster is an under the comforter at the bottom of the bed pug and Fergie sleeps under the comforter between my wife & I with her head right in between ours.

What a wonderful Pug testimony!
<applause>
I can just picture these two snugged in their respective places in bed.
It reminds me of the practice in Victorian England of often keeping two Pugs in the better appointed Hansom cabs for opera- and theater-going ladies. London can be rather chilly and damp of an evening, you see. But a horse-drawn, unheated cab that was Pug-equipped was luxurious. One to sit on m'lady's feet, another in her lap, to act as a muff for her hands. Built-in heaters.:grin:

Tess

PugMom
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Yes, unfortunately, pugs are known to snore, HOWEVER, I have been lucky like some of the other posters, and Skippy and Elli don't do it all the time or loudly. (My husband's snoring is what bugs me!) I agree with Fergie and Foster's post: they need LOTS of attention---these are NOT dogs you get and leave to entertain themselves. When my 2 labs died, I investigated the pug before getting one. I STRONGLY suggest anyone thinking of a puggie do the same: they have some physical issues you should be aware of, besides the need for lots of human attention. It breaks my heart to see pugs in rescue because their family had a baby and no more time for the pet---or they were left outside as an outdoor dog (a definite NO NO.) They also cannot get overheated---their little flat face is not as efficient in cooling as a normal "doggie nose." So when I got my pugs, I knew my life would need to be somewhat structured around them. In fact, I work 2 part-time jobs, so they are not alone for long periods of time. We got the Element for several reasons: one being PUG rides!!!! I'm planning my vacation with them in mind (camping) and they are very excited to see all the new items being delivered (tent, portable doggie fence, cookware, portable doggie water bottles, etc.). Skippy thinks every bag that comes into the house, is a present for HIM! :D And even my camping plans have to keep in mind not letting them get too overheated.
They sleep in their kennels by our bed (but if daddy is out of town, I have been known to let them join me:roll: ) We bought 2 wonderful dog booster seats at PetSmart so they can ride safe, AND see out the windows. They have a Little Tykes Jungle Climber in the back yard (they like to go down the slide), and last summer they had a kiddie pool with wind up swimming toys. (The wind blew it to pieces, so have to get another.) My house is full of hair and bones and toys. And I love them to pieces! My 3 grown kids say I love the dogs more than them--------------they dogs give me less grief!!!:twisted:

By the way: Anybody: PrairiePugs in NE Kansas has 20 rescued pugs they are desparately needing to place. That just breaks my heart--if I won the lottery, I'd build a PUG haven!!!

sier
04-04-2006, 10:49 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~laylashaft/pugE.JPG

Remember the Toyota commercial "Dogs Love Trucks"?

Pugs love Elements.

And mine snores every single night..haha. She's awesome.

PugMom
04-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Hi Sier! I see everyone welcoming you back---well, I'm fairly new, but if you're a PUG owner than I KNOW you're AOK!!

Cute PUGGIE BUTT!!!:grin:

Sabbot
04-05-2006, 12:10 AM
We all must be realistic here, and face the fact as to why we have dogs to bigin with! If we have a dog in the area we can blame just about any thing on it. Watching TV and one just happens to sneeeeeek out:roll: The dog get blamed especially if it is a Labrador.
NOw if one spouse decides to have a Pug, and to have it sleep in the bed; you can bet your bottom dollar that is the mate who has a "Snooring problem":grin: