Minus one element lover [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Minus one element lover

possumlady
06-06-2003, 12:57 PM
:cry:
After 15 1/2 years on this earth, 4 of them spent with me, my beloved border collie/retriever mix, Jiminy passed away peacefully in my arms this past Monday. I adopted her in 1999 after her previous owners dumped her at the local shelter since she started showing signs of arthritis and they didn't want to spend any money treating her. She was the most gracious, undemanding, gentlest dog I have ever known. It only took her one week after I adopted her to have our routine down pat and only one run-in with one of my cats to realize that the best course of action would be to leave all cats alone! I started her on an arthritis drug in 2000 and she started acting like a puppy, running around, so happy to be with me. She absolutely loved riding in the car. But, I have to say when I got my E in March, I did have to help her in and out of it since it was a little high for her. But once she got in it she loved it as much as I did. Even if it was a quick ride to return videos, she was always game.

Not sure when I will get another dog, but I do know one thing. I would not hesitate in getting another "senior," even an 11 year old, but certainly one that is over 5 years old. Being single, fulltime job, owning my own home with large yard, and having 4 cats, I cannot deal with a puppy or a younger dog in need of training. Give me an older dog anytime. A quote I read says it all: "Old dogs, like old shoes are comfortable. They may be a little out of shape, and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well."

M Ornett
06-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. There's lots of older dogs out there looking for homes - both purebred and mutts. When you're ready, try contacting a rescue organization as they usually have tons of animals in foster care. Also petfinders.org is a good source.

I have a rescue dog myself as well as two I raised from puppies, one of which is almost 14 and nearing the end of her days. She's a weimaraner, so she's lived pretty long for that breed. The other two are chesapeake bay retrievers. Oh, I also have cats, but only two!

foxtail
06-06-2003, 02:41 PM
I'm so sorry about Jiminy, but think that it's great that she had 4 years of happiness with you.

I started to write more, about not understanding how someone could give up a dog after 10 years...but I'll just cry if I start to talk about it. Dogs want nothing more than to love you, and they do not understand abandonment. Maybe I'm more weepy than usual, because yesterday would have been my beloved Shannon's birthday. (Shannon was a mixed breed; when people asked what she was, we'd say "foxtail-coyote," and they'd believe us. That's where my online name came from, so she lives on.)

All my sympathy about Jiminy...and when you're ready, there's another loving dog waiting for you out there.

Kristi
driver for Victor, Dixie, and Brodie (2 pound pups and a rescue)

wodock
06-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Yes it is tough when you loose a pet. About 2 years ago I lost my Boxer Rosie who I had for 10 and a half years of complete pleasure. About 6 months after Rosie died a friend told me about an old (9 years old) Beagle they had seen at shelter. They said he seemed to hbe sad but had something charming about him. They didn't take him because he was not right for kids. So I adopted the old guy (named Luigi) and found that he had problems with seizures and some sort of back problem that would flair up once or twice a month. The seizures were taken care of with a very inexpensive medication and the back problem could have been Lyme Disease which he did test positive for. What ever the back problems were they seem to have been cured by a large dose of antibiotics. So I am sure part of the reason Luigi was at the shelter were his health issues. I am sure he was abused in some way also. He does not know toys at all and was afraid of stick like objects. He has the good life now. Eats, sniffs and get petted - that is what he loves for.

So I guess the object of this story is when your ready there are a lot of older dogs out there that need the good life.

Thom Wodock
Sergeantsville, NJ

TheLusciousHellcat
06-06-2003, 09:33 PM
I am so sorry to hear that you are parted from Jiminy now. She sounds like she was a lovely dog, and that she had a very good life with you.

She's not in pain any more. And I truly believe you will see her again.

{{{{Jiminy}}}}

:cry:

Special love from Henry and me going your way.

Eazy E
06-07-2003, 12:41 AM
I am sorry to hear of your loss.....I lost my dog three weeks ago today. She barely got to use the E, but loved every minute of it while she did.....She was one of the main reasons I bought it for. Once I learn how to post pics on here, I will share a a few pics of her in my E.

Today was really hard as I paid a visit to the 24 hr hospital, her Ongoligy office, to drop off thank you notes and then had to drop by the Vet that put her down and ask for her remains that were there for me.....Hard day today.

I wish you well in this tuff time you are going thru and it will hurt, but the memories of our lost ones will live forever.

Bobby G

possumlady
06-07-2003, 08:53 AM
Thank you all SO much for your kind words. It's amazing in this day and age to be able to find a supportive group of dog lovers who are also Element lovers!!

Well, my neighbor across the street rescues and fosters dogs and cats and last night brought over an 8 year old beagle named Ashton. She wasn't pushing him on me and quite frankly it is still way too early to start thinking about adopting again. She just rescued him from a horrible situation where he had been tied up with a rope outside of the city where people have a lot more land. Apparently he was tied up a good block away from the house where his owners lived and left out there entirely with someone dropping off food and water occasionally. The rope had already embedded itself in his poor neck. But he was a very happy guy when she brought him over and like a typical beagle was nosing around all over my front porch. He is cat aggressive so it really wouldn't work out anyways but my neighbor said anytime I get lonely to feel free to come over and take Ashton for walks. Hmmm, I think I will do that.

GYPSYTDA
06-07-2003, 08:13 PM
possum lady, i am so sorry for your loss, that is hard! I have a border collie (he is a full breed, but I adopted him from a woman with a sheep farm since he had no interest in herding just being loved and playing) So I can see what you are saying and I am glad you had the chance to share some of his life with him, i know he loved that.. and he had chance to play with your Element too!

Take care, and thank you for sharing!