I Need A Tire [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: I Need A Tire

Kamakiri
06-09-2003, 09:54 PM
I was walking past the E today in the garage and noticed a piece of something stuck to a tire sidewall. Looked like a little thorn. Couldn't get it dislodged with my fingers so I used a pair of pliers and, sure enough, the telltale "Hssssssss" when I pulled out a thorn about 3/4 of an inch long!

So, with less than 300 miles on the E, I need a new tire. My neighborhood Goodyear store didn't have any Wrangler HP 215/70R16 tires but said they could get one by Friday. They want $170 plus labor so it'll be a $200 bill by the time they're done. My dealer said they could sell me one for $130 but the higher dealer labor equals the same $200 price and they would have to order one too and it would be Friday, etc...

Bummer. :(

Is this a new tire for Goodyear? Where does it fall in the quality hierarchy for Goodyear? I'm on my third set of standard Wranglers (235/70R15) on my GMC pickup (136,500+ miles) and have been satisfied with them but only had pay $130 to $150 per tire. Is the HP supposed to have a more civilized ride (more like a car tire versus a truck tire)? The tread pattern looks a lot less agressive than the Wranglers on my truck.

K

isketerol
06-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Can they fix it with a core? If it's not the sidewall, a core should be a fix.

Kamakiri
06-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Nope - It's in the sidewall so I've got no real option but to replace the tire. Beats me how it ever got there in the first place.

K

pedsflightrn
06-10-2003, 09:16 PM
I would try Tirerack.com. They have great prices on tires, especially since you only need one the shipping wouldn't be too pricey.

StLouisPenguin
06-10-2003, 09:57 PM
WOW!!!! I believe that the E's tires are that expensive!

I am just so used to my old cavalier with it's $50 tires and you are out the door.....and that $50 included labor!

k00k
06-11-2003, 11:16 AM
On TireRack.com I priced out 1 wrangler 215/70/16 with shipping - $118 ($105 before shipping)

isketerol
06-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Does the GoodYear warranty help at all? I have not read it in detail, but I wonder if it covers replacement of the tire or at least a credit towards a new one.

Kamakiri
06-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks kook for checking the price at Tirerack.com. If I could afford to wait and take the time it would be a better deal for sure. Unfortunately my wife drives this car almost every day and I don't want to keep driving on the temporary spare.

Today (Thursday) I took the bad shoe into Goodyear and they mounted a new matching Wrangler HP tire. I got a little better break on the price than first quoted and I agreed to do something that will virtually guarantee that something like this will never, ever happen again to these tires: I bought road hazard protection for all four tires.

Apparently you can still go to Goodyear and pay for this protection (which does NOT come with the new vehicle) after purchasing from Honda. The guy at Goodyear took a look at the tires and wrote down the DOT numbers (serial numbers?) and I ended up paying $225 for the new tire, mounted and balanced, disposal fee for the old tire, sales tax (6%) and road hazard coverage on all four tires included.

The E is the first brand new car I've bought in 13 years so I didn't know what kind of warranty you get on tires. Turns out it's just a warranty against manufacturing defects. Tire warranty is separate from Honda's warranty.

So FYI to others - if you think this may happen to you and want the road hazard protection go see the guy at Goodyear and pay him $45-$50 and you're covered.

K