Tweeters up front [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Tweeters up front

dsmasters
02-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Hello,

Just got mine DX 4x4 and have an after market CD player installed already. I definately need some tweeters installed though.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know the size that the tweeter spots accept?
2. How do you get to the spot? Is it as easy as the door covers or do you have to take the whole door beam cover off to get to them.
3. Are they pre-wired?

Thanks in advance!!!

Dano

kavetter
02-21-2003, 07:09 AM
Hey,

Forgive me if I sound ignorant here.

First, sorry I don't know what size the tweeters are. I wish somebody knew!

I was hoping to buy component speakers for the front. I don't know if there is a builtin crossover. Or you install that. Or what....

I'm dying without a stereo.

Keith

dsmasters
02-21-2003, 03:04 PM
I do not think that there is a crossover built into the wiring (which is already there thank God in the DX). MOst componet speakers that you buy come with a crossover anyway so you should need to worry.

I too after only 6 hours was dying without a stereo. see my post and picture of my self installed Aiwa stereo (I made the mounting brackets myself becuase no one had any).

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68

Post if you have any questions on how I did it.

Dan
Nighthawk Black 4WD DX

hugosade
02-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Question for you DXers: Is the wiring already there to add a subwoofer in the same spot up front where the EX has it. Has anyone installed this yet?

kavetter
02-23-2003, 07:55 PM
First. Thanks for the info on the crossover.

Getting to the tweeter!?!

I called the dealership and he said a little hesitantly that I could take the screen off the tweeter cone cover. After looking at it, I don't see anyway to get the thing off. Looks like the screen is part of that cone cover. Seems like you'd have to take the car half apart to get to it.

Keith

kavetter
02-24-2003, 07:57 PM
After calling another dealer, he said you'd have to take off the pillar to get to the tweeter. He seemed a little unsure of himself. I tried a little to get the pillar cover off. I could tell I was about to make a mess, so I stopped. Looks like a real pain.

Hopefully we'll get some definitive answer on this...

Keith

georgeyew
02-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Check out this thread, it gives detailed directions on removing the pillar with the tweeter.......

http://www.hondaelement.org/showthread.php?s=fe0eb075da6eab20ea1f3f7d08873d71&threadid=909

kavetter
02-25-2003, 05:25 PM
Thanks!

I peeled back a little of the weather stripping off the top. Then I pried open the very top of the pillar with a screwdriver enough to get my fingers in. Then I grabbed and slowly pulled until the pillar popped out.

There are two pins that pop out. One at the top and one towards the bottom.

On my DX there were no speaker wires. Although I saw one thick bundle wire with "Jaurez, Mexico" on it for the tail lights or something.

I was able to run a coat hanger along the A-frame down to the floor board. So when I do get the tweeters, I hope it will not be that hard to wire up.

I don't know what size tweeters will fit in there. Doesn't look like much room.

I was able fairly easily to get the pillar popped back in. The hardest part was getting the weather stripping back. It was just real tight.

Thanks again for the website :)
Keith

kavetter
03-05-2003, 08:40 PM
I was thinking about cutting holes in the existing tweeter covers and allowing my tweeters to actually sit on top. I think I'd get better sound that way. It'd be easier to install I believe.

The downside is that it might look odd (like eyeballs). And burglers might be more inclined to break in a car that has aftermarket tweeters showing.

I dunno. Whatcha think?

Keith

dsmasters
03-06-2003, 01:26 PM
I don't think that it will make a difference sound wise. Also I think it would look better to have them behind the factory grills (some tweeters do not look that great after they are mounted, especially if they are a different color). Finally, I think it is less tempting to a thief if they think you have "factor stuff" as oppossed to aftermarked. Most factory stuff is not worth the time to steal. I plan on just popping the panel off myself and mounting them behind the factory grills.

Dano
Nighthawk Black Perl 4WD DX