Dog Safety [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Dog Safety

snaporaz
06-16-2003, 07:41 PM
One of the primary reasons we got the E was the romance of roadtripping with our dog. Previously we rode in an 89 2-door trooper (yep, 2-dr). It was carpeted so Monty could dig in with her claws to hang on for mild turns, breaking, etc. Not so in the Element. It appears that the plastic floor has one downside, slip and slide dogs! I know no dog can ever be safe during an accident but now I think that with all of her slipping and sliding that her safety would be compromised merely by evasive action or brakeing. We just got the E last wednesday and love it. I'm looking for any tips on this matter.
Thanks.

M Ornett
06-16-2003, 08:59 PM
We had the same problem - the floor mats solved the problem and they're removeable and washable just like the floor. Actually, one of the dogs refuses to step on the rubberized floor. Another idea is a dog seat belt or a crate. We have two with belts and one in a crate for long trips.

Seat belts help in the event of a crash, plus the keep the dog out of your lap or out from underfoot - our rescue dog tried the underfoot routine and nearly caused us to crash the first time we took her in our car.

pedsflightrn
06-16-2003, 11:01 PM
I bought an indoor/outdoor type carpet from Costco for about $20 and cut it to fit the entire rear of the element with the seats up. It works perfectly for the dogs to feel more secure. And I still have enough carpet left over to make a replacement when I wear the first one out.

Eazy E
06-17-2003, 01:09 AM
The seat covers are brutal on dogs....they slip everywehre....so beware........EE

ORANGEE
06-17-2003, 11:58 AM
I put a "faux" sheepskin dog bed in the back for mine - fits perfect when the seats are in their normal down position. got it @ petsmart around 30.00 US
Dog likes it to.

ORANGEE
:D :D :D

eMass
06-17-2003, 12:04 PM
My solution is duct tape, lots of duct tape.

As an added bonus, my dog sheds less now too. :wink:

TheLusciousHellcat
06-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Duct tape! ROFL!

eMass cracks me up. And I love your new avatar, m'dear. It's so you.

But on topic, after being in that wreck with Henry, and fortunately having him only sort of tumble into the rear floorboard, I really believe that I'll be getting him a dog seatbelt. Probably also something sheepskiny, so that he has a cushy place for his sweet old doggy bones.

Let's see, I spoil my dog, I spoil my car, I'll go ahead and confess to spoiling my cats. Only person available for spoiling is me. Someone give Robert Redford my phone number, already! :wink:

eMass
06-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Robert Redford?

I figured you more as going for the Andy Garcia type. :D

TheLusciousHellcat
06-17-2003, 03:13 PM
[quote:70b0a3b49a="eMass"]Robert Redford?

I figured you more as going for the Andy Garcia type. :D[/quote:70b0a3b49a]

I wouldn't throw Andy out of bed for eating crackers!

:shock: :lol: :wink: :!: :twisted:

ORANGEE
06-17-2003, 03:17 PM
wow talk about dog safety, crackers in bed no, but would you kick him out of you E for eating the crackers...............or would you just hose it out?
maybe you could steal eMass' idea and use duct tape on him!

ORANGEE
:P :P :P

TheLusciousHellcat
06-17-2003, 03:25 PM
[quote:2439239801="ORANGEE"]
maybe you could steal eMass' idea and use duct tape on him!

[/quote:2439239801]

Oooh. Kinky!

Hellcat's mama warned me about boys like you!

:wink: :shock: :!:

yoko
06-26-2003, 04:51 AM
My English Toy Spaniel had been unhappy with the new Element since the seat was so low he couldn't see out the window. I got one of these for him. It raised him up just the right amount and he is very comfortable in it now.
http://www.snoozer-dog-beds.com/dogcarseats.htm

The only problem was that you are supposed to hold it in place with the seat belt which is not practical for the front passenger seat. I added a seat back organizer and used the bottom belt of the organizer to come around and also hold the dog seat in place.

boneheadz
06-26-2003, 09:34 AM
I may have miss understood your post, but you say the dog is in the front seat? Please move him to the back due to the airbag. If it deploys it will crush him like a bug.

curly dog lover
06-26-2003, 07:06 PM
How absolutely true that animals (like small children) should not ride in the front because of the air bags. If you REALLY want to be safe, riding in the back in a crate is the best thing for dogs. I was initially attracted to the E because it's shape and size allows me to safely carry my two 60lb Irish Water Spaniels in crates. I even went to the dealership with a tape measure to be sure that the crates would fit! As an added bonus, it has enough tie-downs so that the crates are secure.
On a side note, I have had my E to a breed show and an agility trial in the two weeks that I've owned it, and I can't count the number of people that came up to check it out. I have a feeling that I will be seeing more Elements at upcoming dog shows!

yoko
06-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Sorry, I don't have any back seats. My dog and I like him in the front. Thanks for your concern.

I would be interested in disabling the passenger air bag if that is possible. If not, we take our chances.

boneheadz
06-27-2003, 12:01 AM
Sorry, I don't have any back seats.

Why?

we take our chances.

To each his or her own, no judgement intended. I keep bear behind the rear seat, but I don't restrian him. That would tick some people off.

As for disabling the air bag, you should be able to have a key shut off like the have in pick ups.
Drive safe

yoko
06-27-2003, 01:03 AM
I never have passengers and need the cargo area for my business -- so took out the seats first thing. I really like the car with no back seats. BTW - the dog does wear a seat belt.

FWIW, I don't put in a lot of miles, so we are probably safer than most. My 6 year old car that I sold for the Element had 18,000 miles on it. I expect not much more mileage for the Element.

How can I get the air bags set up with a key? That would be great!

boneheadz
06-27-2003, 09:35 AM
I don't know how you would get the shut off installed but I am sure that it can be done. If you like your dealer's service department then check with them they might be able to refer you some where and I don't think it would be expensive.

Lve2laff
07-02-2003, 06:36 PM
New Element owner with 82 lb, hairy Husky mix. I brought home the new car last Saturday and Blizzy, the dog...was indignant. He even jumped in the old car (95 mini-van) and refused to get out. I mean, refused. It has been very hot here in PA, and he had no business being in the hot car. After coaxing, and an explanation, and putting the back seats down with the dog's newly washed blanket to protect the seats, he hopped in like he belonged. He managed to stay centered, sitting up, looking out, and even sleeping during a car ride. I guess he accepts the new car---- :D

He has always been a "car rider" and is really managing in this one so far. He prefers the back seat area, with more room.

yoko
07-03-2003, 06:00 AM
I found out about the on/off switch for the airbag. You can do it yourself with a kit or just disconnect the airbag completely yourself. But if you want to pay someone to do it (as I would have to do) you need to first apply for permission to the NHTSA. It is a simple form and I have sent it in. After I am approved, I can get a local company to install the on/off switch. NHTSA also has lists of approved installers. This will be a very good enhancement for the car and I won't need to worry about child passengers, etc. And the dog will be safe.

boneheadz
07-03-2003, 09:28 AM
That is good to know. I had no idea that you would have to ask permission to put in a switch.