Spare Tire Question? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Spare Tire Question?

Element
06-17-2003, 04:56 PM
If i got a full size spare, will it fit in the spare tire cabin?

I might order the Element Alloy wheel with the factory size tire if it fits.

Thanks

eMass
06-17-2003, 05:36 PM
No, a full size spare will not fit in the spare wheel well.

StLouisPenguin
06-17-2003, 05:39 PM
That is one thing I really wish the E came with....a full size spare! Now that would be sweet!

ProfJoel
06-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Does anyone know if there is any other way to get a real spare? I can picture it now-on a dirt road many miles from anywhere and a rock goes through the tire. Of course it is Sunday night and raining with no hope of getting anywhere to buy a new tire, even if the donut tire would make it.
How about a tire with the same outer diameter but thinner so it will fit into the storage cavity? It would probably require a narrower rim with the same hole pattern.

RML
06-18-2003, 03:20 PM
If you check the book, a full sized tire would fit on top of the current spare tire cover, but not in the wheel well.

You should be able to buy an extra rim, and tire, and attach it in the back as you would a regular tire when changing to the spare.

Element
06-18-2003, 04:24 PM
I wonder why Honda didn't offer a full size spare or make the wheel well deeper? It shouldn't cost much more and i would be willing to pay :D

JoeDentist
06-18-2003, 07:27 PM
I think a better option would be like the new Mini Cooper. Run-flat tires and fill the well with ice and drinks.

Kamakiri
06-20-2003, 12:56 PM
__________________________________________________ ____________________
How about a tire with the same outer diameter but thinner so it will fit into the storage cavity? It would probably require a narrower rim with the same hole pattern.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

That pretty much describes the spare you have. I lost a front tire with less than 300 miles and my local Goodyear store didn't have any Wrangler HP in stock. I had to put the spare on and drive it that way for 3 or 4 days. The stance of the vehicle did not change so I assume the diameter is the same. But it is a "temporary" tire and I agree a full size spare would be better. Obviously you could store a fullsize tire in the back but it would take up a lot of room.

Good luck! :)

K

Element
06-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Kam,

Did you notice if the spare makes the E dip lower or the spare tire is on a even keel with the rest of the 3 remaining tires?

Thanks

Kamakiri
06-21-2003, 06:01 AM
With the spare installed the vehicle kept its normal stance - no dip or lean that would suggest the spare is a smaller diameter than the full size tire. You could feel a difference in the ride but it was still very driveable. Nevertheless, the spare is clearly marked "Temporary" and I wouldn't drive on it any more than necessary.

K

ProfJoel
06-22-2003, 12:50 PM
[quote:45718c38d4="JoeDentist"]I think a better option would be like the new Mini Cooper. Run-flat tires and fill the well with ice and drinks.[/quote:45718c38d4]

But I don't think the Mini Cooper will fit in the spare tire well either? But it's a good idea. :wink:

Slowhand
06-22-2003, 02:42 PM
[quote:a076aa3565="joel"][quote:a076aa3565="JoeDentist"]I think a better option would be like the new Mini Cooper. Run-flat tires and fill the well with ice and drinks.[/quote:a076aa3565]

But I don't think the Mini Cooper will fit in the spare tire well either? But it's a good idea. :wink:[/quote:a076aa3565]

ROTFLMAO!

StLouisPenguin
06-22-2003, 04:14 PM
But I don't think the Mini Cooper will fit in the spare tire well either? But it's a good idea.

Hummm.....I bet the cute lil' remote control mini copper that they have at Target could fit there! And what a steel at $14.99 :lol: :lol:

Yes I am just a big kid....I always look at the cool toys....now if I could just find a remote control E.....now that would be SWEET!!!

hunterbase
06-23-2003, 09:16 PM
element, I would like to see a full-sized spare up on the roof, like in old Range Rovers.... that'd be cool. maybe get someone to weld up a minimal frame that's attached to roof-rack mounting pounts....

Element
06-24-2003, 03:26 PM
NOOOOOOO :shock:

My opinion, i rather stick with the flimsy spare tire than mount a full size tire on my E roof top.

StLouisPenguin
06-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Just say NO to the roof mounted spare.....that would mean I would have to carry a step ladder with me at all times....or learn the safest way to climb on top of my E[/quote]

hunterbase
06-24-2003, 10:20 PM
I'm sticking with my spare too, but I have always had an affinity for those old Range Rovers with the spares on the roof or in front of the grill.
Seemed to me though that the guy had a problem.... and where else are you gonna stick a full-size tire? well, one could always get creative improving the side-impact protection!

voodoo
06-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Had a nail go thru the sidewall of the right rear tire. Can't get a replacement until Thursday. Driving on the spare is OK but my truck sure looks funny. But its like when your kids get braces...they look funny as heck but you can't say anything cause you love em.

:wink: