Flat tire Question? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Flat tire Question?

Element
06-17-2003, 05:58 PM
I hate changing a flat. I was wondering if a can of fix-a-flat will work? Anyone with real world experience out there :D

eMass
06-17-2003, 06:32 PM
It depends on how bad the flat is, where the hole is, and how mich air is left.

For minor leaks that have gone unnoticed until a point where the ride is starting to feel funny - fix a flat is fine to get you to a service station.

Anything else will have you pulling out the spare.

StLouisPenguin
06-17-2003, 06:52 PM
On my old car one flat I was able to use fix a flat to repair it long enough to get it to a Firestone....but another time the rim shreadded and I had to put the spare on.

dougola
06-25-2003, 07:28 PM
I haven't looked in my owner's manual yet so bear with me. Are the tires covered by any warranty against road hazard, I think I recall getting some type of coverage when I bought my E. I just don't remember right now and I'm afraid that if I go out to look at the owners manual I won't get back from the road for a couple of hours...if you know what I mean :D :D :D
I got a nail in the right rear, no leaking, just found it. :evil: My E is calm and responsive so I think everything will be okay.

yelapa
06-25-2003, 10:48 PM
I have done a lot of travel in the Oregon outback and other remote areas and strongly endorse the aerosol cans of" fix a flat." You want the biggest can advertising the ability to fix the biggest hole. Buy it and label ii with the date you bought it. Replace it every year. Better yet, buy two for a big trip.

Also, buy a small kit that is usually sold in the same area of the auto parts store. The kit is a tool that looks sort of like a scratch awl, a couple of plugs of rubber and some rubber cement. This is for the BIG jagged holes.

The aerosol cans usually do not have enough "oomph" to totally inflate the tire, so carry a tire pump along as well. Other items that are important are some hand towels because this stuff can be a little messy. I carry a pair of disposable vinyl gloves also.

Remember that if you damage a sidewall, you are out of luck. Other than that, I have never had to change a tire. You should, at your earliest convenience, get your tire properly repaired and rebalanced. However, I have waited up to several weeks to do this. Finally, I can tell you from personal experience that the fix-a-flat goo will fail if the tire is subjected to high temperatures such as highway driving on a 100 degree day in Utah. Another reason to get the tire properly fixed after you use it. Happy trails to you...

yelapa

Slowhand
06-26-2003, 07:05 AM
If you the Fix-a-flat stuff, be sure you tell the guy that fixes the tire that you used it, some of that stuff is nasty and they will appreciate a warning.

yelapa
06-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Yo Slowhand,

Good point there, although I don't think the original flammable formulas are still sold. I could be wrong about that, though. Also, the sooner you get the flat fixed properly, the easier it is on the guys who have to deal with the goop.

yelapa

goldd14
05-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I would just put the spare on

Old Blue
05-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Would it mess up the TPMS system? I imagine that it certainly wouldn't be helpful :)

ApriliaGuy
05-12-2008, 07:47 AM
The tire plug kits work well, and aren't any more difficult than changing to the spare. (Which you gotta change back after the regular tire is repaired anyway).

http://www.central4wd.com/_files/_images/14335_Photo10409.TPK-60a-F.jpg

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/content/images/big/blackjackinstruc.jpg

I'm not a fan of fix-a-flat in a can, except in an emergency.

Will

lizzurd
05-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Would it mess up the TPMS system? I imagine that it certainly wouldn't be helpful :)

With out double checking the manual i do believe that fix-a-flat cans are not recomended for use with TPMS.