Nevada resident buying in California [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Nevada resident buying in California

Blake
08-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty much decided on a 2006 EX or EX-P, but I'd rather not go with the local dealers in the Reno area since they frankly don't seem trustworthy. (One dealer told me an invoice price almost $500 higher than I know it really is and questioned the legitimacy of other offers I've gotten.) I've gotten some decent offers from the Sacramento area I might take advantage of, but I keep getting conflicting information about being able to drive it back to Reno.

One dealer says they have to drive the thing over the state line for me ($250 fee), where I would take delivery. That makes sense if I'm avoiding paying the sales tax in California, but I'm just going to get hit for roughly the same amount at the Nevada DMV anyway, and I'd rather finance it with the rest of the purchase. I'm therefore willing to pay the California sales tax. (The Nevada DMV won't double-charge me for that.) But the dealer says I still wouldn't be allowed to drive it unless I'm a California resident and pay the California registration/license fees, too. That makes no sense. I can't imagine all Nevada buyers get their California cars delivered.

I called the California DMV, and the lady I spoke to there said the dealer didn't know what she was talking about. She said something to the effect that the dealer could send my info to the Nevada DMV, and that it was otherwise none of the dealer's business what I did with it once I bought it (with CA tax).

Does anyone on here have experience with buying a California car to bring back to Nevada? I've seen some threads relating to buying out-of-state, but none of them got specifically into my situation that I could see.

I may just end up looking in the Vegas area and driving it back if this is too much of a pain.

Blake

oshan70
08-03-2006, 03:09 PM
I would believe the people at the DMV before I would believe any dealer. Altough I would try to ask 3 different people at the DMV, because they can be idiots sometimes.

I live in LA, and I got internet price quotes from around here and up in the Bay Area (since I used to live there and have friends there). The Marin dealer gave me some bizarre story about how they couldn't sell to me because since I live in LA, there was a problem with where the money from the sales tax would go, and it would cut their profit, or the city would give them a hard time, or something like that. I know he was just feeding me B.S. and trying to get rid of me since I was very stubborn about going to whatever dealer would give me the lowest price.

Isn't there another dealer in Nevada that you could go to?

LeeCaldwell
08-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Normally you can buy a car in another state, but not pay the sales tax there. They release the car to you and you drive it to the DMV in your state with a Temporary Transportation Pass (don't know the actual name). There might be a $25 charge and a time limit on it. When you check into your states DMV they inspect the car and make sure it meets that states requirements, charge you the sales tax as if it was bought their and register it. The trick is to know FOR SURE that any car you buy is legal in the state you plan to register it and all the fees involved. Some states are much stricter than others. California is one of those very strict states. I would expect Nevada to be less strict about it, but... KNOW FOR SURE BEFORE BUYING.

IMHO your best bet is to just look eslewhere in Nevada and avoid the whole over state line thing all together.

Blake
08-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Isn't there another dealer in Nevada that you could go to?

Just in Vegas, or perhaps in eastern Nevada, both or which are much farther than the California dealers. There are only two Nevada dealers even remotely near me, and both jerked me around to the point where I don't want to deal with them. Besides, they weren't coming anywhere near the prices I'm getting quoted elsewhere. Like I said, after showing my quotes to one, they just lied about their invoice price and accused the other dealers of being illegitimate. I'd rather just avoid them.

Normally you can buy a car in another state, but not pay the sales tax there. They release the car to you and you drive it to the DMV in your state with a Temporary Transportation Pass (don't know the actual name).

That's definitely not an option they gave me, but again, I'd prefer to pay the sales tax anyway. That way I can roll it into the total for financing purposes and avoid the $2000 hit at the Nevada DMV. I'm more concerned with the person telling me I can't drive it in California even if I pay the sales tax.

I'm not worried about state requirements since Nevada's DMV website is pretty clear about all that.

IMHO your best bet is to just look eslewhere in Nevada and avoid the whole over state line thing all together.

That's the direction I'm leaning, which probably means a trip to Vegas.

Blake

Blake
08-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, this has been frustrating. I talked to the California DMV again, and they confirmed that I wouldn't pay the registration fee. Instead, I need a $16 one-way movement permit to take it back to Nevada. They also said that the California DMV gives all the dealers a handbook that tells them how to handle exactly this kind of sale.

So... I told the Sacramento dealer this, and I was then informed that the "New Car Manager" said that "dealership policy is that we do not get involved with this type of transaction." They said it's for liability reasons. Where, exactly, is the liability? All I'm trying to do is buy a car.

I'm still waiting on revised quotes from some dealers in Las Vegas.

Blake

LeeCaldwell
08-11-2006, 12:28 AM
The DMV is giving you the straight scoop, but should have added that you will not pay tax in the state you buy it in either. The tax issue is probably why the CA dealer doesn't want to deal with you, even though it does not effect them directly, profit wise. Car dealers do like to "support" their local area by providing tax income due to their sales. In my area they even advertise that area residents should buy locally to support the local economy.

I say find the best deal and give the local dealers a chance to better it so you can "support" your area, but if they won't, then forget them. Buy from the dealer with the best price unless you have some other reason to use a specific dealer such as trusted service or existing positive relationship.

There may be some knid of unsaid collusion between the over-the-state-line dealers regarding this in your area (just a guess). Otherwise, why would a dealer turn down a sale?

Keep looking further into CA. You can take a vacation to The OC or LA and find a great deal down here. I seriously don't think these dealers would can one way or the other about selling to an out-of-stater. Keep at it!

Blake
08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
It gets a little weirder as of this morning. Since this particular dealer doesn't deliver, I asked if they never sell to out-of-state customers. They said that they do, but those customers end up paying double registration fees and double taxes. (Double taxes wouldn't happen in Nevada since the DMV here takes any out-of-state taxes you paid into account.)

But can that even be legal? My understanding has been that you can't register a vehicle in a state you're not a resident of. They're basically telling me they'll sell me the car if I pay the California registration fees. It doesn't even add that much to the price, but that's not the point.

I'm already investigating some other California dealers along with the Vegas ones.

Blake

SFRX8
08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
In California you can buy a car anyplace in the state and register it in the county that you live in. You pay the sales tax to the county that the car is registered in. I live in San Francisco, but am looking to buy a house in another county (where the sales tax happens to be lower, and that doesn't have smog check requirements because of its altitude). A salesman in the new county said that I could register the car there, and pay their lower sales tax.

I don't know why it would be any different for somebody who lives in another state. It seems to me that you could buy a car in California, get the VIN, and register the car in Nevada, even before you pick up the car.

I must be missing something, though. Why is Nevada charging you $2000? Is that what it costs to register a new car there? Is that some way for the state to compensate for not having a sales tax?

Blake
08-11-2006, 12:48 PM
I must be missing something, though. Why is Nevada charging you $2000? Is that what it costs to register a new car there? Is that some way for the state to compensate for not having a sales tax?

Sorry, maybe I should've made that clearer. It's actually only about $350 to register an Element here, give or take. The DMV would charge me an additional $1500 or so, though, if I don't pay the sales tax in California. Basically, Nevada expects me to pay sales tax to someone, and if it's any less than the amount I would pay here, they'll charge the difference. I think it's 7.375% now, so if I paid only, say, 5% tax out of state, they'd charge me the remaining 2.375%. If I have the car delivered from California and don't pay sales tax at all, the Nevada DMV will hit me for the whole thing, which when combined with the registration would be close to $2000. I'd rather pay the sales tax for the simple reason that I can finance it and not have to pay it all up front to the Nevada DMV.

Blake

LeeCaldwell
08-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Can you say yank my chain? Can you say waste my time? Can you say pull my finger? :shock: If you plan on returning to this dealer wear your boots!

Seriously, why waste your time with this wanker dealer? Go elsewhere.

This is how it worked for me buying a NEW auto in Colorado for registeration in California:

1) Paid for the car only and a DMV transport pass in Colorado to my state of residence.

2) Took NEW car to Califronia DMV to pay for CA registration and CA taxes, as if bought in CA.

That's it. You DO NOT have to pay the sales tax twice. Only register the NEW car in YOUR state from the start. Any competent dealer knows how to do this. It is as if you bought the car in your state and the car is being delivered from another state for registration in your state. The only difference is YOU are transporting the car from state to state (as opposed to a transport company), via the DMV transport pass.

This is not a difficult thing. If this dealer is inept move on... simple as that. :)

Blake
08-12-2006, 03:17 PM
This is not a difficult thing. If this dealer is inept move on... simple as that. :)

Already done. :) I'm wondering if I shouldn't send my correspondence to the California DMV or the BBB or something, though. I just don't see how they can legally charge registration, and the guy admitted to me in e-mail that they double-charge registration and taxes on out-of-state purchases. Something's very wrong there.

Meanwhile, another dealer in the same area (Roseville) will only sell to me if I let them drive it over the state line for $250. That seems like a bit of a scam to me. I pointed out that I could drive it myself for $16 with a form from the California DMV, but they won't do that. That's their choice, I suppose, but the lack of cooperation on a simple car sale baffles me.

I've been looking around trying to find reviews of dealers to pick some other ones to try. The two mentioned above don't have good reviews at all from what I've seen. I've found some further west to try, though, and at least one Vegas dealer has come back with a price-matching policy that I'm happy with, as long as they'll actually do it.

Let me tell you, being a Honda buyer in northern Nevada really sucks. It does seem almost like the two local dealers know they have the market locked, so they can overcharge and treat you like dirt.

Blake

SFRX8
08-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Have you tried Arizona?

Blake
08-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Have you tried Arizona?

It honestly hadn't occurred to me, but I'll keep it in mind. Some personal matters have taken priority this week, so I think I'm going to put off buying for at least two or three weeks anyway. Maybe I'll get some more competitive prices at the end of the month (and that much closer to the '07 release, if I'm not past it already).

Blake

LeeCaldwell
08-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Blake -

Check out this guy that bought an FJC, then sold it to buy a Honda Pilot. In Post #119, on page 12, he states what he paid for the Pilot ($3,800 UNDER invoice!). Kind of hard to believe a deal like that? But, if true, it tells you what kind of deals are out there if you shop nationally. :D May be worth a plane ticket...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6680&page=12