How to fill gap around self-installed HU? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: How to fill gap around self-installed HU?

jman1234
06-22-2003, 10:46 PM
I recently installed a Pioneer NAV-SYS910DVD system into my SMM EX. This system consists of a 1 DIN stereo HU and a 1 DIN DVD Navigation unit that plug into each other. This provides control of the nav unit via the LCD touchscreen on the HU. For my install, I stacked the nav unit on top of the HU and used the EX's stereo mounting bracket to mount them. I've got everything back in place, but now I see that there is a small gap on the left, right, and bottom of the HU/nav faces that keeps them from being flush with the surrounding. It's not too big, and from a distance is barely noticeable, but I was hoping there was some kind of filler I could put in the space to just make it flush with the rest of the dash, like the old EX stereo used to be.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

eMass
06-23-2003, 12:42 AM
I would suggest you buy the single din mounting kit but just don't use the pocket. That should account for the gaps.

http://www.installer.com/kits/99-7863s.jpg

jman1234
06-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Thanks, I'll try that.

I had gone to Circuit City, based on comments by another poster, to get the kit, but the guys there told me the pocket was molded on and could not be removed. I suppose I could use a dremel and remove it. (At least, this would be a good reason to talk my wife into letting me buy a dremel :D )

eMass
06-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Oops - I just looked at an extra kit I have and the pocket is molded on. Sorry - thought it wasn't. :oops:

You might still get a chance to use that dremel though - since you may need to cut a custom trimplate from ABS. You can get sheets of this stuff here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=13693340&St=5816&St2=-37324090&St3=-51839691&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=6725&DID=7

BTW, this sheet is 1/16" thick but they also offer 3/32" and 1/8" depending on how structural you need the trim plate to be.

I usually use the 1/8" stuff if I'll be mounting a DIN sleeve right into the opening I cut and sometimes I'll epoxy 2 sheets together for double thickness if Im doing something that needs to be crazy strong.

jman1234
06-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Cool. That looks like it might work better. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!