Oil Change Pump [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Oil Change Pump

BasicElement
08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm close to my first oil change. I don't mind doing it myself. EXCEPT that I hear that when changing the filter, oil spills all over the drive train.

I'm considering trying one of those pumps that drain the oil through the dip stick. I know, that will still leave some oil in the filter. But I imagine that the pump will remove most of it. That will leave less to drip when I remove the filter.

Anyone have experience with the pump? Or a good idea about how to stem the oil flow when changing the filter.

BTW - Wallmart sells Mobile 1 in 5 qt plastic bottles. There is no doubt that I am going to use Mobile 1.

MrEprize
08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
I was put off at first too because of the stories I heard. Then one day I just decided to do it. I put the E on ramps, put down an old cardboard box and put my drain pan in place. I drained all the oil first, then I broke the filter loose and very slowly unscrewed it. I think the key to not making a mess is to take your time and slowly unscrew the filter letting it drain a little at the time. Sure, I got a little oil on the suspension but it was easily cleaned with a rag. I say give it a shot, it is easier than you think. Good luck!!

zookie-element
08-21-2006, 12:50 PM
you may want to just try this, http://www.handaaccessories.com/elementmaint.html , I have only seen the pump used on boats, but I imagine it works fine on cars

Old Salt
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
The pump is great if you have a top loading oil filter. I used one on my VW diesel. Put the front tires in the gutter at the driveway, all oil drained forward in area of dipstick hole. Drained every drop. Oil wasfilter was mounted on top of engine in front. No mess no fuss. It's basically a can in which you create a vaccum. Works great. Usually found it boat supply stores.

Missing Element
08-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I suggest you drain the oil rather than use a pump.
Make sure the engine is warm - not HOT.
I didn't need to jack up the E to reach the drain plug.
Spreading newspapers down then the oil drain pan placed a cardboard box is a wise thing to do.
It's a #17 Box Wrench or Socket to remove the drain plug.
Depending on the 'mouth' of the drail pan you might need to adjust the pan position based on the flow.
Let it drip drain while you do the filter.
The oil filter can be removed from the top of the engine compartment.
This prevents the oil from running down your arm and getting in your arm pit
(some places charge big money to do that :razz: .... but I digress). :lol:

Make sure you replace the washer on the drain plug.
Smear a bit of oil on the filter rubber gasket.
Any oil spill can be wiped up with a paper towel.
Use one of the Oil Deflectors from HandA if your worried about oil on the cross members. But you'll still be wiping things down.
Use the 5 Qt container of Mobil1.
Tighten things up ... start the car ... let it run for a minute then check for leaks and double check the dipstick level.

Dom.five
08-21-2006, 02:26 PM
The pump will do nothing to take any oil out of the filter. It will only leave some in the sump.
Use the drain plug. That's what it's there for. It's less trouble than the pump!

As for the filter, well that's something else....

I use a plastic bag. Slip it over the filter, after you loosen it. I unscrew it from the top. All the oil goes into the plastic bag. Not on the various car parts.

Dom

2005sopcdn
08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
We use the oil deflector at our dealership when changing oil on the CR-V and Elements, the thing works wonders! For the $20.00 you will spend on the deflector its well worth the time saved cleaning up oil off of you garage floor days after you have changed your oil. The oil runs down the side of the engine block and gets into the holes on your subframe. Depending on how much oil gets into the subframe you can have oil dripping for up to 4-5 days.
There is a magnet on the oil deflector that attaches to the exhaust manifold and when you take the oil filter off the oil runs right off the deflector and into your oil bin. Easy breezy.

CB