Does Nakamichi still make car audio gear? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Does Nakamichi still make car audio gear?

phishisgruvin
06-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Just wondering if Nak still makes new car audio stuff. I know they discontinued all of their home audio separates. They now only produce these SoundSpace "lifestyle" systems. Truly sad...

Anyway, if someone can shed some light on this I'd be grateful. Nak's web page hasn't changed in over a year so they're no help.

Thanks,

Sean

misfit
06-24-2003, 11:22 AM
check here (http://www.nakamichi.com/auto/) :mrgreen:

eMass
06-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Nak still makes good stuff but it's hard to find a dealer these days.

Also, they are a little behind the times in regard to adding features like MP3 and imaging delay, etc, etc, etc.

The highly respected brand these days are Alpine, Eclipse, Clarion, Pioneer, and Kenwood - not necessarily in that order.

E-lated
06-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Is it true that Nakamichi is the Japanese word for
"give me all your money" :?:

JimS
06-25-2003, 07:53 AM
They used to be a big name in home audio.

I remember ooh'ing over the Nakamichi Dragon tape deck back in the 80's. Rather than move the head, it would physically flip your cassette over. It had a bay-window like chamber so you could watch it.

phishisgruvin
06-25-2003, 02:24 PM
The autoreverse deck was actually the RX-505...the Dragon was their top of the line deck, the holy grail of cassette decks. Never actually owned one but I got to listen to a few. Truly sweet...I still listen to some tapes that were recorded with a Dragon.

I found a Nak car audio dealer here in Ottawa and got a price quote on their latest stuff. The prices for the sub and rear speakers were very reasonable but they want $700 CAN for the front components! I'm going to check out what the local Eclipse dealer can show me tonight.