Opinions, Best CD recordings that we know of? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Opinions, Best CD recordings that we know of?

eMass
06-16-2003, 11:11 PM
Do you have any favorite tracks for setting up the bass, midrange, treble, etc on your stereo systems?

Please post them in this thread. Perhaps if we get enough we'll put together a reference CD with all the best songs.

XCElement
06-17-2003, 02:22 AM
Anything Oakenfold. Maybe "Starry Eyed Surprise" -it has a rythm that can be played at full power and not be annoying. It has good range for messing with treb and sub controls.

jdef
06-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Here are several I use for different purposes...

Morphine - "Top Floor, Bottom Buzzer" from The Night [Great Lo-Fi]
Steely Dan - Aja or Gaucho CDs [masters of compression]
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms [One of great 'show off' CDs, crystal clear]
Dirty Vegas - electronica with dynamics, what a concept
Peter Gabriel - Ovo or So or Up [can be played at almost any volume and be great]
Brian Bromberg - Jaco [the bass, the bass]

T Mac
06-17-2003, 07:00 PM
for bass, a "must have" is anything by Techmaster PEB ;)

ShaneS
06-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Well lets see.
Fleetwood Mac, The Dance
Metallica
Yes
Boston's Greatest Hits
Tool Undertow
Anything from The Dave Mathews Band
Train, First CD with "Meet Virginia"

And a good one that I must try from StLouisPenguin
Mighty Mighty Bostones, Thats one I i haven't heard in a while

StLouisPenguin
06-17-2003, 10:05 PM
The best CD that I have for checking out all the setting on any system is any old school Mighty Mighty Bosstones.....just my opinion of course!

Also pop a little Bed Religion in to make sure everything is set just right :twisted:

eMass
06-17-2003, 11:24 PM
[quote:53449486a2="StLouisPenguin"]The best CD that I have for checking out all the setting on any system is any old school Mighty Mighty Bosstones.....just my opinion of course![/quote:53449486a2]

Being from Boston you won't hear any disagreement from me. Dicky B. and Co. and that bad@$$ horn section truly rock.

isketerol
06-18-2003, 05:19 AM
King Crimson, "Red". The guitarwork will keep your speakers busy.

StLouisPenguin
06-18-2003, 05:20 AM
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:24 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by StLouisPenguin
The best CD that I have for checking out all the setting on any system is any old school Mighty Mighty Bosstones.....just my opinion of course!

Being from Boston you won't hear any disagreement from me. Dicky B. and Co. and that bad@$$ horn section truly rock.

You don't have to tel me twice!!!! I feel so bad for people who have never experienced real Boss.....and who have only heard "The Impression That I Get"......"Question The Answers" has to be my favorite Bosstones CD....and it really does pump in the E.

My only regret about a road trip to the Boston area a few summers back was that I didn't get to see them live....and the irony of it all is that they were back in Philly that weekedn throwing a concert....sometimes you just can't win!

zozohead
06-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Trust me on this one.

Uriah Heep - Magicians Birthday

The BEST song in the world for acoustic guitar. Close your eyes when you listen to it. If it sounds like you're not alone in the E, then it's right.

onelove
06-19-2003, 10:32 PM
Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey

carman63
07-30-2003, 08:20 AM
Sheffield Labs put out a few vinyl albums back in the early 80's that were designed to 'stress test' speakers, amps, etc. You can find these on CD, and I've used them for comparison as well as, I like the songs they featured. Look for Creme de la Creme, Sheffield Track Record, and - my favorite - James Newton Howard and Friends (JNH currently does soundtracks as well as theme music for TV shows - the ER theme comes to mind. The 'friends' on the album are the members of the group Toto). The Track Record came with descriptions of what you 'should' hear, as it was designed to be a test tool of sorts.

I also have used:

Men at Work - the first album (with Land Down Under on it)
Jay Beckenstein's solo album (I believe the album is Eye Contact)
Boney James - Seduction
Yello

Most important is you use a CD or song that you have heard a lot (use some of your favorite songs). This way, you already know what to expect to hear and you'll know if the equipment you're auditioning can faithfully reproduce that expectation. That's MHO of course :D

-Jim

jdef
07-30-2003, 11:12 AM
[quote:b91659e8e5="carman63"] - my favorite - James Newton Howard and Friends (JNH currently does soundtracks as well as theme music for TV shows - the ER theme comes to mind. The 'friends' on the album are the members of the group Toto).[/quote:b91659e8e5]

That is an excellent CD, albeit very brief; ~30 minutes. In the same vein are Checkfield.

carman63
07-30-2003, 06:19 PM
[quote:bbf5a56320="jdef"]In the same vein are Checkfield.[/quote:bbf5a56320]

I recall one album, I think it was called 'Wind Water and Stone". Excellent album!

zarathustra
07-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Play some Juggalo music.

That should wake up the sub herbs.

rodaniel
07-31-2003, 09:35 PM
Carman63, if you like Jay Beckenstein & Boney James, you'd probably also really like Mindi Abair's "It Just Happens That Way." I saw her at the Smooth Jazzfest in San Diego back in May and she kicks it! You'd probably also like Paul Taylor, although his last 2 CDs have gotten a bit mild... go for "Pleasure Seeker."

Nice to find some fellow Jazz lovers here - not too many Texans who are into Jazz...

zarathustra
07-31-2003, 09:40 PM
Isn't there a huge jazz school in Denton, TX?

karlz28
08-01-2003, 12:56 AM
OZZY "No More Tears"

Sublime "wrong way"

the best " Eagles When Hell Freezes over CD "Hotel California"

carman63
08-01-2003, 09:56 AM
rodaniel,

Thanks for the tips! I learned of Chris Botti by listening to www.smoothjazz.com (via Apple iTunes), which turned out to be a great find.
And if you like Boney James, you probably already have heard Rick Braun (Boney played in Braun's band, and they've collaborated a lot).

I think my CD collection is about 50-60% jazz at this point. It's nice to work/live in an area that still has a decent jazz station!

cbastriani
08-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Although im not a jazz freak, well recorded jazz will give you exactly what you need. I only use cd's that i know are great by listenin to them on my home system. That way i know what i should be hearing. Trust me, if you set up using audio that wasnt compressed (much) during the mix, you will get excellent balance for any kind of music. Reminds me of an old saying "if its good enough for classical, its good enough got anything".

Jacintha - Heres to Ben
Demeola, Paco, and some other guy live, black cover with colorful writing on it.

and incase you wanna know part of what my home system consists of....

www.magico.net/in_2.htm

btw im new and im glad this forum exsists. Thank all you guys!

carman63
08-05-2003, 12:09 PM
[quote:a36c3f5934="cbastriani"]Demeola, Paco, and some other guy live, black cover with colorful writing on it. [/quote:a36c3f5934]

DiMeola, Paco De Lucia, and John McLaughlin - Passion Grace and Fire :D

jdef
08-05-2003, 12:18 PM
[quote:590368827d="carman63"][quote:590368827d="cbastriani"]Demeola, Paco, and some other guy live, black cover with colorful writing on it. [/quote:590368827d]

DiMeola, Paco De Lucia, and John McLaughlin - Passion Grace and Fire :D[/quote:590368827d]

Friday Night in San Francisco is the one cbastriani is referring to; Passion, Grace and Fire is a studio album.

Oscar546
08-07-2003, 10:37 PM
"Faint" by Linkin Park

ShaneS
08-30-2006, 09:37 PM
After reading the XM not being CD quality thread, it triggered an interest.

What are the best recorded CD's that you know, which make your audio system shine.

Here are a few that I can think of that I think sound great:

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Dave Mathews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
The Sundays - Static Of Silence

CoffeeDragon
08-30-2006, 11:12 PM
XM not CD quality? No surprise there ;-) You'd have to be really hard of hearing not to pick up on the tin and pop that comes from compressing audio below 98kbps.

For my money it's got to be

Metallica - S&M (live album recorded with the San Francisco Symphony)
Tool - 10,000 Days
Linkin Park w/ Jay-Z - Collision Course

Of course those are all "crank it up with the windows down goin' 100mph" kind of CDs. I'm not a subtle kind of guy but if I was, I might choose:

Sigur Rios - Takk
Frou Frou - Details
Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething

momofav
08-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Sublime, any sublime.

outpost4
08-31-2006, 04:36 AM
Great topic, Shane. :) I also agree with you about the Dire Straits record although you could pick most any one by them. They all sound great. I tend to use Love Over Gold but that's just personal taste.

There is an old saw in audiophile circles that the better a record is sonically, the worse it is musically. My recommendations break that rule. These are great records both for their sound and their music. I've used most of them for years to judge equipment.

Dada - Puzzle - maybe the best recorded rock album ever, plus really good rock 'n' roll
Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman - even the 8-track sounded good
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Grateful Dead - In The Dark
Keller Williams - Laugh
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
John Hartford - Mark Twang

ShaneS
08-31-2006, 09:15 AM
XM not CD quality? No surprise there ;-) You'd have to be really hard of hearing not to pick up on the tin and pop that comes from compressing audio below 98kbps.

For my money it's got to be

Metallica - S&M (live album recorded with the San Francisco Symphony)
Tool - 10,000 Days
Linkin Park w/ Jay-Z - Collision Course

Yes, Tool - Undertow is a good one also. Something about those guys, they do sound great on a good system.

dparrothead1
08-31-2006, 09:41 AM
I have a lot of good ones (a whole lot of Buffett) but the best one is the
Stones - Hot Rocks.

schnauz
08-31-2006, 10:13 AM
I'd say Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" has to be one of the best sounding albums I've heard in a long time, but for pure crank-it-up-ness, it would have to be some of Iron Maiden's stuff, the last live album they put it out sounds great. Tool's "Lateralus" is a great sounding CD too.

/old school metal rocks!

Hab Mobile
08-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Audioslave...all of their CDs sound amazing (how could you go wrong with Chris Cornell of Soundgarden and the former Rage Against Machine....)
Jet- their first CD sounds really good....
Pearl Jam's new album also is a great recording.... Yield's baselines also sound really good....
The Killers' first album...
The Muse...
My Chemical Romance....
Sex Pistols.....

Sparman
08-31-2006, 10:49 AM
After reading the XM not being CD quality thread, it triggered an interest.

What are the best recorded CD's that you know, which make your audio system shine.

Here are a few that I can think of that I think sound great:

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Dave Mathews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
The Sundays - Static Of Silence

Brothers in Arms - is an awesome album.

Do you own Alchemy?

gibroni
08-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Peter Gabriel - So

cdubea
08-31-2006, 12:16 PM
No question

Second's Out by Genesis

ShaneS
08-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes, Genesis, and Phil Collins

If anyone says Ratt, Motley Crue, or poison, I will shoot them lol. All 80's hair band music seem to sound like ass when it comes to detail, and imaging.

DirtGhost
08-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Tool - any of them
Godsmack
red hot chile peppers
Marlyn Manson
Zombie
Beastie boys
Police
Adam X
Fatboy slim

Hab Mobile
08-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Tool - any of them
Godsmack
red hot chile peppers
Marlyn Manson
Zombie
Beastie boys
Police
Adam X
Fatboy slim

Are you forgetting Ministry from your list? The Psalm 69 album sounds really good....

I forgot to Add Alice 'n' Chains to my earlier list as well... all of their albums sound awesome...

ShaneS
08-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Tool - any of them
Godsmack
red hot chile peppers
Marlyn Manson
Zombie
Beastie boys
Police
Adam X
Fatboy slim

White Zombie - la Sexorcisto, Yes can't forget about that one

gMike
08-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Sean Phillips - Second Contribution
Clapton - 24 Nights
Elton John - Live In Australia
Sigur Ros - Takk
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2
Jean Michel Jarre - Chronologie
A3 - Exile On Cold Harbor Lane

That's my list and I'm stickin to it!!:rolleyes:

mayberry-e
08-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Today it was:
Outkast: Idlewild
David Crowder*Band: b collision
Johnny Cash: American V: A Hundred Highways

I find myself...how do you say...a bit of a hodgepodge.

Nao2.0
08-31-2006, 11:49 PM
xtc - Skylarking
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Roxy Music - Avalon
Ryuichi Sakamoto - 1996

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/images/records/dg4293902.jpg
Albinoni, Pachelbel, Bach, etc aka "the Sunday Brunch Music"

PVR
09-01-2006, 12:00 AM
I have found that these are good for testing a car stereo's range:

Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries
Enya- Orinoco Flow
Edgar Winter- Frankenstein
Enigma - Mea Culpa

3fish
09-01-2006, 05:28 AM
OK, for this old time SQ guy nothing comes close (for me) for the MFSL 24K CD's:

1. Jeff Beck - Wired
2. Blood, Sweat & Tears: Blood, Sweat & Tears
3. Traffic: The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
4. Muddy Waters: Folk Singer
5. The Who - Quadrophenia
6. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
7. Stevie Wonder - Intervisions
8. Rush: Moving Pictures
9. Manhatten Transfer: Extensions
10. Supertramp - Breakfrast in America
11. Pearl Jam - 2006 (ok this is definitely NOT an SQ disk but boy the driving wall of sound keeps clipping my amp :lol: )

eddieroger
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I've been really pleased with the new (only, for that matter) Gnarls Barkley album and the way it sounds. Also, the Beastie Boys were mentioned above and I agree with that. Last choice for me would be Keane's first album, Hopes and Fears.

One thing I notice is for spoken stuff, radio, XM or spoken word CDs, bassy male voices seem to trigger the sub too much and require me to turn it down. Am I the only one who notices this? Hope not, since it drives me nuts. Specifically, Bob and Tom for any fans out there.

Taz-E
09-01-2006, 11:00 AM
i mostly listen to salsa .. i am puerto rican duh ! ... but mainly salsa like marc anthony ... and also some J.Lo .. her cds sounds really good in my E .. i'm very Eklectic so .. i listen to everything ..

ShaneS
09-01-2006, 11:08 AM
OK, for this old time SQ guy nothing comes close (for me) for the MFSL 24K CD's:

3fish, How do you like the Clarion 9255, I have the C90, and it uses pretty much the same technology as your 9255? Please post a pic of it in your E's dash, I would love to see how it looks with that really nice deck. I considered the older version of that unit, but I had good luck with sony ES in the past, and went wth the C90

NighthawkBlackPearlEX-P
09-01-2006, 01:37 PM
The question was "What are the best recorded CD's that you know, which make your audio system shine?" I agree that Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms and Donald Fagen - The Nightfly are excellent CDs because they were recorded digitally. You could add the that list Madonna-Like A Virgin, another digital recording. Not on that list would be Rush: Moving Pictures, Supertramp - Breakfast in America, any recording from Sublime or the Police. These CDs are analog recordings and quite frankly are full of tape hiss. This is not a question of musical taste, but a question of sound quality. The before mentioned Dire Straits is an excellent Digital Recording-One of the best I've heard. Richard

Wally
09-01-2006, 05:22 PM
OK - my favorites - and I don't know if they are all digital or not - but they do sound good.

Mannheim Steamroller Fresh Aire I through IV [ALL 4 are great!]
Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells or Tubular Bells 2
Any Rush [again, maybe not digital, but they sound very, very, good].

ShaneS
09-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Also,
Andrea Bochelli -Romanza
ABBA - greatest Hits

3fish
09-01-2006, 06:45 PM
The question was "What are the best recorded CD's that you know, which make your audio system shine?" I agree that Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms and Donald Fagen - The Nightfly are excellent CDs because they were recorded digitally. You could add the that list Madonna-Like A Virgin, another digital recording. Not on that list would be Rush: Moving Pictures, Supertramp - Breakfast in America, any recording from Sublime or the Police. These CDs are analog recordings and quite frankly are full of tape hiss. This is not a question of musical taste, but a question of sound quality. The before mentioned Dire Straits is an excellent Digital Recording-One of the best I've heard. Richard

i completely disagree with you assesment on analog recordings, whether it be out of ignorance or, no i won't go there now... but the aforementioned recordings (at least on my list) are digitally remastered versions of the original recordings produced by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs and are considered some of the best audiophile recordings ever made for the CD format which is flawed for a number of reasons and which are beyond the provenance of this thread. just let me say that when you listen the MFSL remastered version of Coltrane's Giant Steps played on my system (i'll let the quality of the components speak for themselves nighthawk) with eyes closed (i only do occasionally while driving) the staging is phenomenal,

i don't know why i'm responding to this.... :?

bofus
09-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Stanley Clarke's "School Days."

Regards,

3fish
09-01-2006, 07:35 PM
3fish, How do you like the Clarion 9255, I have the C90, and it uses pretty much the same technology as your 9255? Please post a pic of it in your E's dash, I would love to see how it looks with that really nice deck. I considered the older version of that unit, but I had good luck with sony ES in the past, and went wth the C90

here's pic of clarion HU Shane. in the first (taken with my 1.3mp cameraphone) i try to get pic of HU and my magellan mount on windscreen while second i try to get HU, Xact, and Magellan.

I'll have to start a new thread on this install (outpost has nicely chided me to do so:) So without going into specifics, i just have to say that Clarion is completely outdone themselves with this HU - it is truly astonishing.22016

ShaneS
09-01-2006, 08:32 PM
here's pic of clarion HU Shane. in the first (taken with my 1.3mp cameraphone) i try to get pic of HU and my magellan mount on windscreen while second i try to get HU, Xact, and Magellan.

I'll have to start a new thread on this install (outpost has nicely chided me to do so:) So without going into specifics, i just have to say that Clarion is completely outdone themselves with this HU - it is truly astonishing.22016

Nice! Thank god for Clarion, you can still get a no frills SQ deck. I notice you are running the Stealthbox, so am I. May I ask, what do you have your front components, and sub Xover at. I have my 165kp's at 70~, and stealthbox at around 60~. I wish the sub could hit the lower bass passages.

OK, back to the origional thread.

box-E
09-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I think most anything by MANHIEM STEAMROLLER, and Dirty Vegas, plus early YES. Thanks, drew

Wally
09-01-2006, 09:50 PM
plus early YES.

I forgot about YES - how about 90125! City of Love is a great song through just about any system.

ShaneS
09-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance, Also the DVD is outstanding.

ShaneS
09-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I'd say Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" has to be one of the best sounding albums I've heard in a long time, but for pure crank-it-up-ness, it would have to be some of Iron Maiden's stuff, the last live album they put it out sounds great. Tool's "Lateralus" is a great sounding CD too.

/old school metal rocks!

Forgot about Iron Maiden, also Boston's - Greatest Hits

Taz-E
09-03-2006, 10:57 PM
wasn't the question what are the best recorded cd's , something like that i guess right ... so why are we getting specific on sound quality ??? .. can someone answer that question for me ..

ADAMLSTL
09-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Tool - any of them
Godsmack
Police

Agreed...&
Static X
RATT!!!!
Janes Addiction
Old Pumpkins
:cool:
P.S. These sound great in the E!
P.S.M. the new GODSMACK is a great CD all around!

bobhch/hchbob
09-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Agreed...&
Static X
RATT!!!!
Janes Addiction
Old Pumpkins
:cool:
P.S. These sound great in the E!
P.S.M. the new GODSMACK is a great CD all around!

Tool....I wish that I had a Tool CD...Adam? :rolleyes: Do you know of anywhere (anyone) that has them:confused: AHEM....lol

ADAMLSTL
09-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Tool....I wish that I had a Tool CD...Adam? :rolleyes: Do you know of anywhere (anyone) that has them:confused: AHEM....lol
TRUE TOOL... My bad...but...no working PC at home still...:-(
I will see if I can get someone to burn it for me for you...:rolleyes:

bobhch/hchbob
09-05-2006, 12:21 AM
TRUE TOOL... My bad...but...no working PC at home still...:-(
I will see if I can get someone to burn it for me for you...:rolleyes:

Sarcasm :rolleyes: detected and noted. Man this whole :rolleyes: thing is crazy now. The thread about it is going to peoples heads. :rolleyes:

Sorry about your PC. I mean it. :) No I am not trying to be a smart @$$...really a PC is nothing to joke about. :arrow: What's a PC...LOL

outpost4
09-05-2006, 04:08 AM
plus early YES.
I forgot about YES - how about 90125! City of Love is a great song through just about any system. I may get in trouble for this one, but I have never thought there has been a good Yes greatest hits. There have been one disc versions, double disc versions, three box sets and at least four major live compilations, but none that have tripped my Yes trigger.

If anybody is interested, I made my own compilation, bestyes, years ago. It's on 4 CDs. Programmed musically rather than by date, it covers 35 years of the band's history. I even used Roger Dean artwork. PM me if you'd like a copy. It would be my pleasure to send you one.

But Wally, I'll warn you. As with any compilation, it is incomplete. City of Love isn't on it. Rhythm of Love instead fills the "...of Love" slot in the mix. :D

Mik.E
09-05-2006, 03:35 PM
WOW... old thread...
Anyway, a great one is The Nightfly by Donald Fagan. Tight punchy-- nice hi freq sizzle, nice imaging. I like to use it when checking out home audio.

If you want to... test the limits... check out 'Ein Straussfest' (muahahaha) if it's still in print -- it's a Telarc CD and very dynamic... you may want to run through it once at a low volume so as not to explode any speakers, eardrums, nearby small dogs, etc.

For spare instrumental and vocal try something by Diana Krall

JPH102900
09-05-2006, 03:41 PM
I would have to agree with Dave Matthews, has a great range of frequencies using treble, bass, and mids.

outpost4
09-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Folks, since we already have a current thread open and active just on this exact subject, let's combine the two into one, OK?

ShaneS
10-22-2006, 04:48 PM
I just recieved a couple MFSL Ultradisks in the mail yesterday.

1) Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
2) Tom Petty - Damn Them Torpedo's

Both sound incredibly smooth, and extremly clean. there is definatly something to be said about the Ultradisc's.

Some of these discs apparently are worth a fortune, for example Rush - 2112 sold for like $300.00 on EBay, and The Who - Tommy went for a pretty penny as well.

If you have a favorite CD, and you are a nut for sound quality, it may be worth it to get it on UD if it is available. They just sound better than the regular release.

outpost4
10-22-2006, 05:42 PM
I have a lot of those. It comes from being a software junky. I have been told my MFSL CD copy of The Wall is worth some money. I personally don't care for the sound of that disc. It's way too dark. Some of the Mobile Fidelity CDs came out that way. Elton John's Madman Across the Water is almost unlistenable, it's so dark in tone. The import vinyl copy of The Wall I have sounds much better than the CD.

Many of their CDs did sound great. The MoFi CD version of the Allman Brothers Fillmore East and the Who's Quadrophenia, both personal favs, are terrific in their sound. My favorite MoFi CD? The Porky's Revenge soundtrack recording. It was assembled by Dave Edmunds and is outstanding in both sound and music. I bought it on a goof ball recommendation and it was a good one. :) Their version of the Grateful Dead's From the Mars Hotel was also excellent. Both were just silver discs, not gold ones, although I don't know how much that has to do with anything.

IRV
10-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance, Also the DVD is outstanding.
No offense intended......I love FM . "Rumors" and the 2002 "Very Best of..." I play a lot....

But within two days of buying "The Dance" I donated it the local public library by putting in the book return. The vocals (as I recall) just were not up par for Fleetwood Mac.

Just my opinion.:cool:

ShaneS
10-22-2006, 09:06 PM
No offense intended......I love FM . "Rumors" and the 2002 "Very Best of..." I play a lot....

But within two days of buying "The Dance" I donated it the local public library by putting in the book return. The vocals (as I recall) just were not up par for Fleetwood Mac.

Just my opinion.:cool:

I know what you mean about the vocals, they are a bit low, but for a live CD it's sound quality is pretty decent, The DVD is even better with the 5.1. Most live stuff, I can't even stand listening. I also ahe Rumors, and the 1st Greatest Hits CD, and I play the crap out of them both as well. Great driving music.

complacent_one
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Artist:Yello
Albums:Essential, Flag, Zebra, Solid Pleasure, Baby

This will wake up any good system.

I have plenty of other suggestions from back in my IASCA competition days!!!!

IRV
10-24-2006, 08:46 PM
After reading this Thread I went back and listened to Dire Straits "Money for Nothing". Mrs. IRV always liked the CD and Dire S.
I was luke warm. But the texture and complexity of that music has won me over.

ShaneS
10-24-2006, 09:05 PM
On the way home from a ski club meeting tonight, I was listening to one of the Rush remasters 2112 CD, the Discovery section of 2112 with the rain in the background, with Geddy Lee singing about his stange device with wires that vibrate, which brings forth a sound ya ya ya , sounds really good and real, sounds like your really there. Even when he screams with his super tight underware, sounds dynamic, loud, and clear.

Must pick up more of the Rush Remasters, big improvement over the old Rush cassettes that I had back in the day, even better than the Cronicles CD that I bought 10 years ago.

rhythm_ace
10-24-2006, 09:13 PM
WOW... old thread...
Anyway, a great one is The Nightfly by Donald Fagan. Tight punchy-- nice hi freq sizzle, nice imaging. I like to use it when checking out home audio.

According to Wikipedia,

The Nightfly is widely considered to be one of the best engineered albums ever made. Some audio engineers use it to evaluate the quality of playback equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightfly

ADAMLSTL
10-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking!:cool: http://www.links.net/vita/muzik/janes/pix/ns.gif :cool: