car audio novice question for eMass [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: car audio novice question for eMass

hunterbase
06-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Just what are coaxial speakers?
How are they different than 2-way speakers?
And what are the advantages and disadvantages?
I should mention that in my DX Element I put 2-way Sony's in, mostly because they were cheap and i was in a hurry to get music in my car. And I have a tendency to buy Sony. Oh and I have a bass tube in the back.

eMass
06-27-2003, 12:17 AM
2-ways and coaxials are the same thing - just two speakers (co) sharing the same axis (axial). In the case of 2-way coaxials - a mid-bass or woofer is the larger speaker and the tweeter is the smaller speaker in the center.

Components or separates are speaker systems where the woofer and tweeter are installed in separate locations and usually include a crossover which is just a fancy term for a box that splits the sound up and sends low frequency sounds to the woofer and high frequency sounds to the tweeter. This ensures that each of the speakers only get the frequencies that they can play well.

Hope this helps. :D

hunterbase
06-27-2003, 12:34 PM
thanks eMass, that makes perfect sense. But one thing still confuses me, you mentioned 2-way coaxials..... so there are "normal" coaxial speakers and "2-way" coaxial speaker?
Sorry to take up your time with ignorant questions, but some info you just can't find by poking around the internet.

hunterbase
06-27-2003, 12:45 PM
also, in the "Audiobahn Speakers" thread, you mentioned a bunch of speakers including some Crystal Mobilsound and MB Quart coaxials for about $70. I assume these would sound far better than my Sony's?

I don't know exactly why, but I have a tough time getting any sort of treble-bass compromise from my sound. Not much range.... I assume it has something to do with having cheap 2-ways all around??

And furthermore, should I try for a cheap upgrade to these MB Quart speakers, or just wait to get the full on component set for the front?

thanks for the advice, eMass.

eMass
06-27-2003, 09:49 PM
It's hard to separately adjust bass and treble when you don't have separates (pun intended). However, Sony makes moderately good speakers for use with factory head unit amplification. So my question to you would be, how is your system set up? Do you have a factory head or an aftermarket one?

My answers depend on yours. :D

As to your other question, when I refer to 2 way coaxials I mean a speaker that has 2 components - a tweeter (1) and a mid bass(2).

The reason I make note of this is because there are 3-way coaxials and components.

1 tweeter, 1 mid range, and 1 mid-bass.

Here's an example of a coaxial 3-way:

http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/108/l108635i.jpeg

And here's an example of a 3 way component set (note: the stuff shown is for just one side of the car):

http://www.cbrstereo.com/images/Focal/165k3.jpg

Note that coaxial 3 way sets try to merge all 3 speakers in the component set above on to the same speaker axis. The result is far less sweet sounding as the component set because of speaker size, power, and material limitiations.

Does that make it clearer or more confusing? :?

hunterbase
06-30-2003, 11:18 AM
eMass, that explanation makes sense. Thanks.
To answer your question, I have this Sony head unit:
http://www.xplodsony.com/products/images/CDX-M630_product_image.jpg

So that's the setup, with no external amps anywhere. I assume I need one if I switch to a component set. But do i need an amp if I get those MB Quart or Crystal Mobilsound coaxials? And would I hear a difference?

Oh and that 3 piece component set you showed, where the hell do people put 3 speakers anyway? Are they cutting holes in the door?

thanks for the help!