Element vs. CR-V [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Element vs. CR-V

80honda
10-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I went thru the same question when I purchased my 2003 Element. CR-V or Element. Love the Element for what it is. A hauling minivan. Love the rubber floors, waterproof seats . . . . .

But now it is time to replace the Grand Cherokee. Took a look at the new CR-V this weekend. Very nice interior. Comfortable, nice options standard, but should I go look at a RAV4, Hyundai . . . . .?

The CR-V 2wd EX with cloth so far is tops on our list.

jimmags214
10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
I went thru the same question when I purchased my 2003 Element. CR-V or Element. Love the Element for what it is. A hauling minivan. Love the rubber floors, waterproof seats . . . . .

Did you just...no! You didn't just call the Element a "minivan?!" :? I'm too flabbergasted to say anything.

CoffeeDragon
10-02-2006, 02:57 PM
I live in a two Honda household; my wife has an 03 CR-V and I have an 05 Element. They each have their intended purpose and they compliment each other pretty well. The CR-V is a little more middle-of-the-road in terms for the interior finish, handling and styling. I really like the funky look and utilitarian interior in my E but I must admit it is nice to have a second vehicle with bonifide upolstry and seating for five. The CR-V still has plenty of storage in the back, lots of leg room front and rear, neato reclining rear seats and IMHO it's a little more comfortable for longer drives. I think that has something to do with the fact that it's a little quieter inside and the ergonomics are a little better (cupholders aren't on the floor).

I wouldn't trade either Honda for anything else ('cept maybe a new 'vette!) but if you've already got an E, get the CR-V and keep things simple. If budget is a concern, look at the 05 and 06 CR-V, dealers will be looking to make some deals on those models to make room for the new 07. If you're thinking about going with an 07, remember the differences are almost entirely cosmetic with the exception of the rear gate which now swings up instead of to the side when it opens.

PVR
10-02-2006, 03:13 PM
If you are really interested in a CR-V why not look at the RAV4 as well.
What could it hurt?

80honda
10-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Looked at the RAV4. I hate that rear mounted tire. The interior is very cheap looking to the eye and to the touch. Only thing that interest me about the RAV4 is the 260+ available HP.

I haven't test driven the new CR-V yet, but I did sit in one. Very comfortable front and rear. Want to try the Element SC before I make the plunge. The other half wants a wrangler.

CoffeeDragon
10-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, if you're already thinking about the Jeep side of the fence, I would check out the new Wrangler Unlimited 4 door with the modular hard top. I've been scoping these babies out ever since they announced they'd be making them. I'm a recovering Jeep addict and the new Unlimited fixes just about everything I didn't like about the old Wrangler, most importantly the lack of interior space.

lizzurd
10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
[

I'll be giving the CRV a good ringing out at a Honda event next week.....if i like what i see this E maybe my last and i may make the move to the CRV for practicality reasons.

Juno
10-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, if you're already thinking about the Jeep side of the fence, I would check out the new Wrangler Unlimited 4 door with the modular hard top. I've been scoping these babies out ever since they announced they'd be making them. I'm a recovering Jeep addict and the new Unlimited fixes just about everything I didn't like about the old Wrangler, most importantly the lack of interior space.

There was an X on the lot here the other day, and I was going to go by and try to give it a test drive after work, but it had sold by the end of the day! They really look a lot better in person than in all the pictures. My husband has an '05 Rubicon right now. We love it, but it's definitely not comfy! :)

Hab Mobile
10-03-2006, 03:31 PM
When I bought me E, I was in-between a CRV and the E originally... I have family that owns a 2002 CRV, so I knew basically how it drove and felt, but after I sat in the E I was hooked.... I bought my E on the spot and have not had a regret ever since...

T Mac
10-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Reminder...we do have a CR-V Owners Club (http://www.crvownersclub.com) and we'd like for those of you who are interested in chatting about the Honda CR-V to join over there and help us get some activity rolling on the forums too. Thanks!

Wayout10131
10-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I had an 01 CRV - my main beefs were not enough leg room for me or anyone for that matter and the carpets soak up tons of meltwater (thanks to kids!) in winter and winds up smelling in the spring until things thoroughly dry out.

When it came time to update we test drove an 05 Element and CRV. To be honest the CRV was essentially much the same as the 2001, except uglier, and doesn't come close to the functionality and freakish beauty of the Element.

Dom.five
10-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Having had an 03 CRV, the Ex. I can tell you that the E is nicer on long trips. I got slightly better gas mileage with the CRV than the E. By about 1 to 2 mpg. After the first long trip in the wife's 05 E, I traded in the CRV. I have never thought it was the wrong move. I like the higher seating position, visibility, Comfort and room.
Yes it is slightly more noisy. Not by much. It's more fun to drive than the CRV ever was.

I have had The 06 Rav4 for a rental. It would not be my first choice over the CRV or the E. It has more power, But less room. It does not have the road manners that the Honda's have. It feels lighter. Give one an extended road test before you plunk down your hard earned cash. You will see what I'm talking about.

I don't like bashing other brands. there are some nice cars and trucks out there. You have to take a close look and see what will fit your needs TODAY.

Needs do change over time. there was a time when I would drive nothing other than a Pickup. There was a time when I would drive nothing other than a high performance sports car. Where did all that time Go ???

Dom

Hab Mobile
10-04-2006, 09:21 AM
I would love to get another E for my wife, but she is debating over the Volkswagen Rabbit, the Honda Fit, 07 Civic sedan, and the Nissan Versa... she's driven the E but doesn't like SUVs in general, as she doesn't like the feeling of sitting up high while driving... I am trying to get her to test drive the SC as it's a bit lower, but probably isn't going happen.

I think either the Fit or Versa is what she'll end up buying in the end... at least they're Honda!

In terms of the CRV, my parent's have a 2002 CRV EX and I've driven it plenty... it is a good vehicle as I've driven it up in the laurentian mountains, but just doesn't have the personality of the E....

The new CRV looks better in person than it does in photos I've seen, but all of the curves in the design make it bland and look like every other SUV that is being produced right now.... I really like how the E, the FJ Cruiser, and the Nissan Xterra have very distinguishing looks to them...

Cappucino
10-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Needs do change over time. there was a time when I would drive nothing other than a Pickup.

that used to be me too.

myspark1
10-04-2006, 03:43 PM
I hear that. My poison of choice used to be any sports car that I could fit into. After my first E, there was no going back; I now value functionality, versatility and build quality more than styling or pure speed.

That SC I drove yesterday would be fun for both, though..... :)

Plus I want an Element offered in the Glacial Blue Metallic that the new CR-V's have on 'em.

---- Mark

80honda
10-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Same here, I have never owned a car with more than two doors before the Element. Was a sports coupe driver.

I don't think I can go back!

And NOOOOOO, it is not because I'm getting old. NOOOOOOO. Darn practical over fun.

80honda
10-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Wow, just checked the weight of the Element SC as compared to the new CR-V
2wd Automatic SC compared to a 2wd Automatic EX,
The CR-V weighs 181 pounds LESS.

outpost4
10-10-2006, 08:44 AM
^ That's probably the new platform. Lightening the Element would be a good idea. Maybe we'll see that in 2009.

I agree with jimmags214 from earlier in this thread. You called the Element a "minivan"?!? :shock: I'm shocked, especially from you, 80honda. You know better. Your penance? Forget your 2 door past. You are hereby sentenced to buy a four door sedan. There is a Chevy Impala in your future.

:-P

InSaNeBoY
10-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Like others have said... test drive! Personally I'm waiting to see what honda does to the Element when it gets updated to the new CR-V's platform that'll be 2009, right? which will be just about right for us since our 05 will be paied off in 2010 :D (give 'em a year to work out kinks in the new E) Than we'll be a two E family (no way we're gonna give up the 05 till it's at least 10yrs old ;) )

80honda
10-11-2006, 07:35 AM
I repent, the Element is NOT a minivan.

Anyways, I was thinking about why the Element is so heavy. I'm sure all the structural reinforcements around the huge hole in the side(front/rear doors) is the culprit.

Hab Mobile
10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Has it been confirmed that the E will use the same platform as the new CRV? I thought I read somewhere that the Element would have it's own unique platform starting in production year 2009.

bush555
10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Has it been confirmed that the E will use the same platform as the new CRV? I thought I read somewhere that the Element would have it's own unique platform starting in production year 2009.Everything's speculation at this point, but the '09 will in strongest likelihood use an existing platform and drivetrain. Whether it be the V's or otherwise is an open guess.

Unless the E's size and performance are to be radically reconceived (i.e., no longer a compact, four-cylinder, soft-road SUV), the CR-V platform would make the most sense from a production & development standpoint. My one concern is whether the next E, like the new V, would no longer offer a manual transmission.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_neutral.gif

Hab Mobile
10-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Everything's speculation at this point, but the '09 will in strongest likelihood use an existing platform and drivetrain. Whether it be the V's or otherwise is an open guess.

Unless the E's size and performance are to be radically reconceived (i.e., no longer a compact, four-cylinder, soft-road SUV), the CR-V platform would make the most sense from a production & development standpoint. My one concern is whether the next E, like the new V, would no longer offer a manual transmission.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_neutral.gif

I think it's a safe bet that the redeisgned E will be offered in MT. The E has a different audience that the CRV, there is some crossover, but I would think Honda would not make the E too much like the CRV, at least from a marketing standpoint.

If they are going to use the new CRV frame, I am a bit concerned about keeping the "boxy" feel to the E. I hope Honda doesn't get over-creative with the lines and get hung up on aerodynamics. The E's a box and that's why people love it. One option I wouldn't mind them to add is a diesel option.

I have always thought that Honda should have added, in addition to the SC for urban folks, an E with real offroad capability. It would have been interesting to see what Honda woulld have come up with. They could have called it the Element X. Maybe they'll offer this choice in models in the next generation of Es.

Like you said, it's all speculation right now.

PVR
10-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Unless sales increase dramatically, I really can't see Honda broadening the Element range in any significant way. As others have said, the CR-V is a much more "mainstream" vehicle - lt sells in much greater numbers than the Element and is a more logical choice for an expanded model range.

The next Element as a CR-V spinoff? I think it's a distinct possibility. An "off road" Element, diesel Element, etc? Just wishful thinking IMO unless the CR-V also goes this way.

myspark1
10-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Well, put my speculation money on it sharing the global light truck platform now being used by the Acura RDX and the CR-V. As has been said, the Element doesn't put up breathtaking sales numbers. Best bet is that a business case for a next-gen E will only be made if it adopts that platform for amortization of costs. And that might lead to some similarities in styling. We'll have to wait; I have faith that, like the current Element that was based on the same platform as the CR-V, some visual and architectural differences will be there.

---- Mark

outpost4
10-13-2006, 09:02 AM
80honda, you may well be right on the weight issue. That makes sense.

Flobox
10-19-2006, 09:44 AM
I think it's a safe bet that the redeisgned E will be offered in MT. The E has a different audience that the CRV, there is some crossover, but I would think Honda would not make the E too much like the CRV, at least from a marketing standpoint.

If they are going to use the new CRV frame, I am a bit concerned about keeping the "boxy" feel to the E. I hope Honda doesn't get over-creative with the lines and get hung up on aerodynamics. The E's a box and that's why people love it. One option I wouldn't mind them to add is a diesel option.

I have always thought that Honda should have added, in addition to the SC for urban folks, an E with real offroad capability. It would have been interesting to see what Honda woulld have come up with. They could have called it the Element X. Maybe they'll offer this choice in models in the next generation of Es.

Like you said, it's all speculation right now.

Between the Scion xB and the possible release of the Cube in the US, it's pretty safe to assume that the box will stay.

Hab Mobile
10-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Between the Scion xB and the possible release of the Cube in the US, it's pretty safe to assume that the box will stay.

The production of the XB (and XA) is stopping this December. Scion has two new concepts ready for production. I posted the image on another thread, but here it is again (below). The concept of the box has caught fire in North America, as a lot of companies are coming in with new "boxy" concepts. BTW, has it been confirmed that the Nissan Cube is being brought to the States?

Here (once again) is the concept of Scion's new model that will replace the Xb... still cannot compare to the E...

3rdHonda
10-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Here (once again) is the concept of Scion's new model that will replace the Xb... still cannot compare to the E...

Ugh! Could that thing be clunkier?

I'm imagining the Lieutenant Dan back seat (a la the FJ Cruiser) and the blind spot caused by that huge chunk of metal at each rear corner. Hey, it's both inconvenient and dangerous; I'll take it! :rolleyes:

3rdHonda
10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Back to the thread's original topic, how about a side-by-side look? (If you missed it in the Element Companion thread, my wife just got a 2007 CR-V.)

dohcvtec
10-22-2006, 10:09 AM
come on dude..element is not a mini van or mini van like..
i hated when my gf says that too...
but crv to me..is just a 4 door suv.which element is a 2 doors and 2 suicide door suv...engine and tranny are the same..

myspark1
10-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Element versus CR-V? Absolutely no contest. Element pins CR-V for the required 3-count within one minute, after first using The Atomic Drop to stun CR-V, followed by using the ropes to the ring as added momentum for a vicious forearm shiver. No tag required; CR-V fans left to hunt for folding chairs to hit us with later.

---- Mark

Barb
10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Why is there an ad for the CR-V at the top of the Element Owners Club page? Is this a Honda conspiracy? Is there an Element ad ready to run at the top of the CR-V Owners Club page?

It's all so confusing.

T Mac
10-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Why is there an ad for the CR-V at the top of the Element Owners Club page? Is this a Honda conspiracy? Is there an Element ad ready to run at the top of the CR-V Owners Club page?

It's all so confusing.

We are part of Honda's ad network. They are pushing the CR-V right now since it was just released, but later the ad will return to an Element ad - but it's whey THEY want to, not me. :)