Toyota FJ Cruiser [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Toyota FJ Cruiser

rabbit
06-30-2003, 12:35 PM
What do you guys think about the Toyota FJ Cruiser? How do you think it compares to the Element?

I doubt that it'll be in the same price range as the Element. It has a 3.4L V6 250HP TRD supercharged engine. My boyfriend believes that it belongs in the same family as the Land Cruiser, but I cannot find any information that can confirm this. AFAIK all the pictures online are just of the prototype. I don't think they have a production version available yet. I'd love to know what the estimated base price will be also.

I'm still debating if I should get the Element now, or wait until 2005 to get this. I'm very curious to know what you guys know about this, and what you think of it.

:D

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/fj_cruiser1.jpg
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/fj_cruiser12.jpg
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/fj_cruiser15.jpg
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/fj_cruiser17.jpg

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/fj_cruiser.asp
http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/look_ahead/fj_cruiser/cruiser.html

jayharley
06-30-2003, 12:46 PM
I thought the Toyota was merely a concept car at this stage. It looks absolutely great, in my opinion. Rugged and tough looking. I would buy one. However, this will be much more money. I would guess about $35,000. The Honda E is here and now, and much less money. Also, the Toyota appears to be more of a true off road vehicle. The E is not the same. The E is an "everything" sort of vehicle or crossover SUV. It is not made for any sort of rugged off road situation.

Hawaiian E
06-30-2003, 01:15 PM
I think that this car will end up being the "poor man's Hummer."

Its okay. A little too tonka truckish, but its alright i guess.

tigernumber6
06-30-2003, 02:08 PM
At the risk of being stoned to death, I have to admit, if I didn't have an Element and this was available now, it would be a tough choice. Price would probably be the deciding factor so I'd still probably get the Element. But, based on looks alone, it has a lot of what I find so cool about the Element.

Poor man's Hummer? Definitely. Not unlike the Element, however. I've heard a number of H3 references on this board.

ropedart.1
06-30-2003, 04:15 PM
But where is it? I'm enjoying my Element now. I waited a long time for it. The FJ is a concept now. Is it coming? No one knows for sure. You wait and wait and wait and then maybe nothing. I bought my Element this year because improvements or new models may never materialize. Bring it on and I'll watch while I'm driving.

Like the Xterra it looks like a good offroader. I looked in the mirror and said am I going to off road a 20K vehicle. No. If I want to offroad I would get a really used Xterra or Wrangler Rubicon that has been dented and rolled at least once.

Where is the Jeep Compass etc? How long do we have to wait? I can't wait forever. Life's too short. As I say. Bring them on. I'm waiting.

HEMan
06-30-2003, 04:27 PM
I tried very hard to find out when/if the FJ Cruiser would become available. No one is saying when/if it will ever be available. I asked dealers and phoned Toyota but no one seems to know. I absolutely love it. If it was available and I could afford it, that would have been very much in consideration when I ordered my E. Real world is that I have my E and really love it. When/if Toyota comes out with the Cruiser, I can decide then. In the meantime, I will have many wonderful months/years with my E.

StLouisPenguin
06-30-2003, 05:38 PM
This is very interesting....I would love to know the price and when/if it will be available....this may be the perfect solution to my husband's car quandry...he wants a Hummer (but doesn't every guy!), but I am not spending 50,000+ on a car.....but this may be the next best thing!

pedsflightrn
06-30-2003, 06:36 PM
I have to say I would snatch one of those up for sure. I gave up my Toyota T100 for the E and still miss it. I also love Toyota. So I have to say that this would have to be the perfect combination.

jnes
06-30-2003, 06:48 PM
I love the Toyota. I almost bought a 1991 Landcruiser instead of my E. I love the older Land Cruiser styles and this new one looks sweet. Typically Toyota Land Cruisers are over priced, or at least over my price.

I have been looking at the new Willys 2 Jeep as well. It looks sweet.

Simon
06-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Knowing Toyota, they will ask way too much $$$ for it.

Of course, I'm sure its quality beats the heck out of GMC.

X2E
06-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Utility features include spotlights on both outside mirrors, an asymmetrical front spotlight, and a front-end towing winch. The rear glass panel is a two-piece unit that retracts into the roof and the rear hatch for easy access to the rear cargo area. Easy rear passenger entry into the two-door SUV is achieved with rear access doors.
Power is supplied by a 3.4-liter V6 engine equipped with a Toyota Racing Development (TRD) supercharger that creates 250-horsepower. The engine is paired with a four-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel-drive with low range. The FJ Cruiser rides on a modified Tacoma pickup platform and is equipped with rear coil-over long travel suspension, 20-inch wheels and 33-inch tires, and a TRD cat-back exhaust.

Yes, I'd buy it

divco-honda
07-01-2003, 12:34 AM
Lets take a reality check!
Saying I don't know whether to buy an "e", or wait for an FJ cruiser is
like saying I don't know whether to buy a Volkswagon beetle or save
for a Porsche 911 !
This is no copy cat SUV, it's heritage is in the Toyota FJ40, a beautiful
machine!
This is a concept car at present, and as such, would price out far beyond
that of the Toyota Land Cruiser!
If put into production and stripped down, it would still have to start in
the $40,000 range!
This would be no "poor mans Hummer"!
I'd bet it would walk all over an H2 and give the H1 a run for its money
in many respects!http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/950/sumo.gif[Automated by GetSmile]

designguy
07-01-2003, 01:21 PM
I cant see the instruments in this vehicle either.

stupid designers

rabbit
07-02-2003, 11:05 AM
[quote:e2e042b22f="divco-honda"]Lets take a reality check!
Saying I don't know whether to buy an "e", or wait for an FJ cruiser is
like saying I don't know whether to buy a Volkswagon beetle or save
for a Porsche 911 !

{snip}

If put into production and stripped down, it would still have to start in
the $40,000 range!
[/quote:e2e042b22f]

I suspect that the base model will start in the 30K range, possibly even in the high 20K's depending on how many features they strip out. Remember, this will be Toyota's answer to Element, I will be very surprised if pricing starts at 40K. While it's in a different class than the Element, I don't think the pricing will make the FJ Curiser unattainable. This is what, about one to two hundred dollars more a month for payment, roughly? I see what you are trying to say but I'm not so sure the Beetle/911 analogy is applicable here.

jnes
07-02-2003, 07:14 PM
I fell in love with the FJ. Not everyone has though, I did some searching via Google and found this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=vjXma.7828%24io.289096%40iad-read.news.verio.net&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DFJ%2BCruiser%2BConcept%26hl%3Den%26lr %3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3DvjXma.7828%2524io.289096%2540iad-read.news.verio.net%26rnum%3D3

*** cut and paste it all in*** or do a Google groups search for Toyota FJ

I loved the comment that it looked like that "Honda blob on wheels".

marky
07-02-2003, 07:38 PM
>>Remember, this will be Toyota's answer to Element<<

I think it's more like Toyotas answer to the Rubicon.

Saphteemon
12-24-2007, 07:43 PM
I own an element and up until last week, I had an FJ (I traded it in for a 08 civic). The FJ was a great car/truck. I bought an 85 4runner to wheel so I didn't need the FJ...the civic is better on gas my commuter.

:rolleyes:

Flobox
12-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Aaargghhh. The Three Year Old Thread, Come Back From The Dead To Feast On The Brains Of The Living!

PVR
12-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Aaargghhh. The Three Year Old Thread, Come Back From The Dead To Feast On The Brains Of The Living!

Don't worry, it will soon starve to death.

:razz: