Painting/color on brake calipers? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Painting/color on brake calipers?

marky
07-02-2003, 11:41 PM
What is the best way to add color to my brake calipers? High temp paint, power coat, or something else?

mortaaay
07-03-2003, 09:37 AM
I have seen actual caliper paint at PEP boys.

What The!
07-03-2003, 05:23 PM
The BEST way would be to powder coat them. The easiest way is to use the high temp paint but over time it will fade and chip.

LittleDogBox
07-04-2003, 08:15 AM
[quote:63d23cdd4d="What The!"]The BEST way would be to powder coat them. The easiest way is to use the high temp paint but over time it will fade and chip.[/quote:63d23cdd4d]

That is true, I would not attempt to paint them yourself. Powdercoating is the way to go. I learned about this after trying to paint the fins on my Harley's engine with crinkle paint that promised to withstand heat. NOT!
It looked horrible because the heat from the engine destroyed it. I sent cylinders out to have them professionally powder coated after that and it has held up perfectly for over 10 years. My roomate used the paint she bought at the shop and her engine looks horrible.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

boneheadz
07-04-2003, 09:53 AM
If you run a search you will find someone on this site who has done it. It looked great and you could ask them how it held up.

fweem
07-12-2003, 10:43 PM
This guy shares what he did on his CR-V for a number of fun and useful projects.

Enjoy.

http://www.arbouw.com/Honda/index.cfm

Fweem

HondaNewbie
07-15-2003, 08:50 AM
I just saw this from Eastwood, a very nice resto company with a lot of nice products (albeit a bit pricy). I don't know how it holds up, but it looks good.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

search under "brake caliper coating system"

qsilver074
07-18-2003, 04:23 PM
I used 15 coats (yes, 15) of Duplicolor 1600-degree high-temp engine paint on my calipers on the del Sol, and they haven't faded and/or chipped at all. It all depends on how you do it :)

Bald Eagle
12-10-2004, 10:46 PM
I finally got around to painting the calipers on the E...used Duplicolor 500 degree engine enamel. Have used this type of paint on six vehicles over the past fifteen years with no problems. About $3.50 a can at Wal Mart, slightly more at Auto Zone...but A.Z. has more colors. Clean everything carefully with lacquer thinner, mask thoroughly, build up paint with 3-4 coats, spin rotor and clean off any overspray. I did not paint the back side of the caliper (you can't see it) which includes some rubber parts. Also did Popeye's calipers and still have about 1/3 can of paint left. Took about four hours per vehicle, including drying time. Very gratifying.

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/mh2ke/images/front%20caliper2.jpg

deckeda
12-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Bald Eagle --- I didn't know it could reasonably be done with them left on. And the brake pads? Those look painted as well?

I guess my question is, how does one keep everything clean? Do you have to take off the wheel every so often to wipe off the brake dust, etc.?

Bald Eagle
12-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Bald Eagle --- I didn't know it could reasonably be done with them left on. And the brake pads? Those look painted as well? I guess my question is, how does one keep everything clean? Do you have to take off the wheel every so often to wipe off the brake dust, etc.?I've never taken the brakes apart to paint them, but the masking can be a little tedious...like cutting strips of paper to cover the edge of the rotor and feeding them into the caliper from the top and bottom (so you don't get paint on the edge of the rotor that is exposed inside the caliper). The back of the pads and the spring clips end up painted, but I've never had a problem with that on previous vehicles. Just don't paint rubber parts. I wash the E with a high pressure wash which takes care of the brake dust pretty well. I've also used wheel cleaner on other cars. I usually touch up the paint job every three years or so. I might do it sooner on the E because I am so into this car and just enjoy fussing with it.

popeye
12-11-2004, 01:07 AM
Bald Eagle did an awesome job painting my brake calipers ;-)

we've also taken a few pictures, i'll ask him to upload them, they show very nicely how to tape and mask the wheel and how the capliers are painted...

popeye
12-14-2004, 01:05 AM
alrighty...here we go:

a few how-to pics of painting the brake calipers:

step one: you'll need an element (in this case, my orange e)

step two: wash and dry thoroughly

step three: move the thing into Bald Eagle's garage (ask permission first)

step four: have required stuff at hand (thinner to clean the calipers -but clean it gooood, blue tape and daily paper or your Hustler mags to mask the surrounding area, a can of engine or caliper paint -in our case, Ford Blue engine paint, 'though purple and yellow would also do beautifully with sop's IMO)

step five: be somewhat entertaining and let Bald Eagle do the job

step six: a couple of hours later (four to six, depending on number of lunch brakes, intermittent stops at local hardware stores, amount of small-talk and adult beverages), see results below

step seven: exit Bald Eagle's garage in your e and show off :grin: :grin: :grin:

((BIG thx to T-Mac for posting the how-to of uploading images: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11176 ))

E MENTAL
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I used Red VHT high-temp caliper paint on mine with only 15 miles on the odometer. I still ceaned the calipers well with mineral spirits first, but it was so easy with everything new. Installed my new tires and rims when the paint was dry.

dblair
04-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I used the $40.00 catalyst type caliper paint (both Tire Rack and Eastwood have it) on another car. Works extremely well in that it is not affected by brake fluid or dust from the pads. It's been on 2 years and still looks like it did when I first did the job.

Cyclist_306
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I painted my 2005 calipers a month after I bought it new with Chevy Orange engine spray paint. It lasted about 3 years before it started flaking off. I bought a kit of orange brake caliper paint from http://www.tirerack.com I plan to paint them if a couple of weeks.

nacranym
04-26-2010, 12:38 AM
i wonder if we have awards for the oldest thread brought back from the dead.
<grin>
what it probably means is that you used Search and found a thread of use to you.
for that you deserve applause.
the info you received by using Search is your reward.
<grin>
let us know how the paint job goes.

blackbrik07
09-25-2010, 04:05 PM
These are super helpful for those of us who may not be so savvy in our electrical knowledge. I personally hate electrical projects because it ultimately leads to a dose of shock therapy.

AztecRol
09-25-2010, 05:10 PM
These are super helpful for those of us who may not be so savvy in our electrical knowledge. I personally hate electrical projects because it ultimately leads to a dose of shock therapy.

If your brakes have electrical wiring running through them, you have MAJOR
problems!!! I'd have a professional check it out!!!:-D

UNKLDAV
09-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Does anyone have any experiance with MGP Caliper Covers?

www.calipercovers.com/_e/dept/28-001/Honda_Element.htm

Not cheap, but do fit my ability and sounds like they would hold up well.

UNCLEDAVE

lizzurd
09-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Does anyone have any experiance with MGP Caliper Covers?

www.calipercovers.com/_e/dept/28-001/Honda_Element.htm (http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/dept/28-001/Honda_Element.htm)

Not cheap, but do fit my ability and sounds like they would hold up well.

UNCLEDAVE

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63773&highlight=covers

Slick Joe
02-21-2011, 03:16 AM
Cool thread. Like the paint ideas. Soon my wheels will be black and my brakes will be red and it will be sexy