Where to buy replacement battery? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Where to buy replacement battery?

skuba
11-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi,
I think it's time for me to get a new battery. The current one is 3 years old and is at that point that if I listen to the radio for 5 minutes with the engine off, it dies.

Any suggestions for a place to buy them for a good price? I am in Orange County, California.

Thanks a lot

spdrcr5
11-08-2006, 05:25 PM
I got my Optima at PepBoys for $111

VAherder
11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Is there a Battery Warehouse close by??? I like Interstate batteries. Interstate now owns Optima. You local independent parts store should carry Interstate.

biocube
11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
i got mine, the optima 37R, from interstate in HB. $140 or so.

but after i did that, i learned that they are a big xtian organization. so if you don't want to support that, sears or pep boys for a non-optima.

IRV
11-08-2006, 08:43 PM
This will sound kinda dumb....there's a first.:rolleyes: ....When did batteries get so expensive? It's been a while, but a thought car batteries cost $40-$60:confused: .

Rocket Dog
11-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I can't find it...but there is a simply RIVETING thread about the pros and cons of various batteries. Seriously, it's a great thread...but I can't find it.

Rock E Top
11-08-2006, 08:54 PM
This will sound kinda dumb....there's a first.:rolleyes: ....When did batteries get so expensive? It's been a while, but a thought car batteries cost $40-$60:confused: .

Battery snobs. Similar to tire snobs, beer snobs, etc.....

IRV
11-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I can't find it...but there is a simply RIVETING thread about the pros and cons of various batteries. Seriously, it's a great thread...but I can't find it.

Maybe here?
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27564&highlight=battery

tango
11-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Optima is now owned by Interstate - If you do some research on Interstate you will find that your purchase goes to fund some very right-wing radical Christian organizations which you may (or may not) disagree quite strongly with. Norm Miller is the owner and his beliefs are "Biblical, Born Again" and one of his business mandates is to spread the gospel with the batteries. Interstate sponsored Joe Gibb's "Charged For Life" Anti Abortion Nascar car. Your call, but you should know where your money is going.

I refuse to spend even a cent to fund the sorts of beliefs held by Interstate and it's owner and employees (which are required to share the "views" of the owner to work there). Aside from that I do not find Interstate products to be reliable or a good value for the price.

Rock E Top
11-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Optima is now owned by Interstate - If you do some research on Interstate you will find that your purchase goes to fund some very right-wing radical Christian organizations which you may (or may not) disagree quite strongly with. Norm Miller is the owner and his beliefs are "Biblical, Born Again" and one of his business mandates is to spread the gospel with the batteries. Interstate sponsored Joe Gibb's "Charged For Life" Anti Abortion Nascar car. Your call, but you should know where your money is going.

I refuse to spend even a cent to fund the sorts of beliefs held by Interstate and it's owner and employees (which are required to share the "views" of the owner to work there). Aside from that I do not find Interstate products to be reliable or a good value for the price.

Won't find Interstate in my cars.....

hownowcb
11-08-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm waiting (very patiently) for Mike QBF to do some empirical research for us in this regard. It's not so much that I'm a heathen (or maybe it IS), but I also refuse to buy from companies with right-wing "Christian" agendas! Though I'm fine with them being a financial sponsor of this site, I'd never buy a grill from Cloud-Rider for the same reason (Jebus rides in the clouds with his dad, Dog?). :-(

xequar
11-08-2006, 11:10 PM
I love how "Christian" and "Right-Wing" are always put together as a derogatory expression... All this and yet people call me crazy because I refuse to step foot in a Wal-Mart.

So, if you decide to take the moral low-road and avoid anything associated with Christianity, you can find a battery for $40-90, or more if you decide to go crazy. Are Die-Hard batteries still any good?

hownowcb
11-08-2006, 11:37 PM
I honestly appreciate (and respect)! your observation, xequar, having been called a "Left-Wing Liberal" with the same sense of invective for years now. :D As if I had fangs and a tail, or something! (No fair peeking!)

That said, I still prefer taking the low/no maintenence approach. My battery is 3.5 years old, and I pray (heh, to whom or what?) it's gonna get me through yet another Minnesota winter before I have to learn the solution to this thread's riddle!

I swore by Sears Die-Hards long before I owned this Honda, but also know nothing about where they're made, or by whom, in this day-and-age. And though I'm cetainly not excited by the concept, it seems to matter to me now. :cry: Thanks for nothing, modern internet!

tango
11-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Here's what Consumer Reports Says For Honda (leaving out Interstate)

BTW- EverStart is A WalMart Brand and overall EverStart is rated highest and a Best Buy. If you do not shop at WalMart ..... Duralast is also a Best Buy and NAPA
FYI - Johnson Controls makes DieHard, EverStart and several others
Johnson Controls Inc. makes Sears' DieHard, Auto Zone's Duralast, Wal-Mart's EverStart, Motorcraft
NAPA Batteries are made by East Penn Manufacturing Co., Inc.,

Didn't know which of these would be the proper fit so listed both:

For Acura CL, TL, newer Honda Accord, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Nissan pickup
1 EverStart 24F-3N (North) A CR Best Buy
2 NAPA Legend 7524
3 DieHard Gold 33023 (North
4 EverStart 24F-3S (South)

For Most recent Honda Accords, Subarus, Nissan, and Toyota vehicles
1 NAPA Legend 7535
2 Duralast 35-DL A CR Best Buy
3 DieHard Gold 33035 (North)
4 Autocraft Silver 35-1

ramblerdan
11-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Original Optima thread (http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6573)

My Optima has been great since I bought it in 2004, but subsequently several members have reported quality problems.

<commentary>
For political reasons, I wouldn't buy another one. I don't see how being reluctant to support fundamentalist proselytizers, especially when the wall between church and state is crumbling, qualifies as taking the "moral low road" or for that matter "avoid[ing] anything associated with Christianity"--to do that, you'd have to leave the country. I support Christians' right to live as they choose. Unfortunately the reverse is not always true.
</commentary>

ann54
11-09-2006, 03:01 PM
So, if you decide to take the moral low-road and avoid anything associated with Christianity, you can find a battery for $40-90, more if you decide to go crazy. Are Die-Hard batteries still any good?[/QUOTE]

christians haven't cornered the market on 'moral high roads." quite the opposite according to most reports.

skuba
11-09-2006, 03:50 PM
For Acura CL, TL, newer Honda Accord, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Nissan pickup
1 EverStart 24F-3N (North) A CR Best Buy
2 NAPA Legend 7524
3 DieHard Gold 33023 (North
4 EverStart 24F-3S (South)

For Most recent Honda Accords, Subarus, Nissan, and Toyota vehicles
1 NAPA Legend 7535
2 Duralast 35-DL A CR Best Buy
3 DieHard Gold 33035 (North)
4 Autocraft Silver 35-1

Will those be stronger than the stock one? Can I get a bigger/stronger battery for the element that is a not an optima?

Thanks

paulj
11-09-2006, 03:56 PM
According to the Optima web site, it is owned by Johnson Controls. In fact, I got to the Optima site via Johnson.

OPTIMA® and SPIRALCELL® Technology are registered trademarks of Johnson Controls Battery Group, Inc.

As far as I can tell, Interstate is a battery distributor and retailer, not a manufacturer.
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm#I

Johnson has a 'battery selector'
http://www.autobatteries.com/selector/index.asp
Last I looked, Costco's brand name one had the highest capacity in the Element's stock size. However changing battery size is probably a better way of getting a higher capacity. Optimas may (?) have an edge in durability, but they aren't necessarily higher in capacity (for a given size).

The stock battery is (or at least was) labeled Johnson Controls.

paulj

Totin' Notes
11-09-2006, 04:01 PM
As far as I can tell, Interstate is a battery distributor and retailer, not a manufacturer.

So is it possible to buy an Optima without getting Interstate involved? Or are they the sole distributor?

- Jeff

billyguitar
11-09-2006, 04:03 PM
"Spreading the gospel thru batteries"?! That's funny! I remember when George Costanza was mad when Sunshine Carpet Cleaners wouldn't brainwash him to be in their cult but they took Mr. Wilhelm!
Frankly I stay away from all zealots, left or right wing. I'm glad Optima is owned by Johnson Controls now. All they want to do is make a profit and I understand that.

xequar
11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
BTW- EverStart is A WalMart Brand and overall EverStart is rated highest and a Best Buy. If you do not shop at WalMart ..... Duralast is also a Best Buy and NAPA
FYI - Johnson Controls makes DieHard, EverStart and several others
Johnson Controls Inc. makes Sears' DieHard, Auto Zone's Duralast, Wal-Mart's EverStart, Motorcraft
If I read this correctly, there are only a few companies that actually manufacture car batteries, and as long as you don't pick the one that has a plain blue and white case with the brand name of "Made in China" or has "Hon Da" written on it, then you're probably ok?

And I pose a question to the masses... Supposing that Interstate and related brands were supporting Islam instead of Christianity, would you still vehemently boycott them? Or, for the sake of conversation, same question, except substituting Buddhism, Hindu, or Judaism? Come on, be honest now.

Frankly I stay away from all zealots, left or right wing.That's the best comment I've read today. In fact, I'm sigging that.

paulj
11-09-2006, 04:43 PM
OPTIMA -- tomorrow’s battery -- available today!
Finding an OPTIMA battery has never been easier! Look for them at The Pep Boys - Manny, Moe and Jack, Blain’s Farm & Fleet, Advance Auto, wherever Interstate Batteries are sold, Sears, Murray’s Discount Auto Stores, Batteries PLUS, Authorized Battery Alliance Distributors, and many independent battery outlets.

http://www.autobatteries.com/brands/optima.asp

There is also an Exide Orbital brand that uses cylindrical cells.

ramblerdan
11-13-2006, 01:48 PM
And I pose a question to the masses... Supposing that Interstate and related brands were supporting Islam instead of Christianity, would you still vehemently boycott them? Or, for the sake of conversation, same question, except substituting Buddhism, Hindu, or Judaism? Come on, be honest now.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. And since you asked, Xequar, would you be boycotting Wal-Mart if they had told their employees not to wish people a good Ramadan?

tango
11-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Johnson Control MANUFACTURES Optima Batteries but the company is owned and the batteries distributed by Interstate.

As to the supporting "religion" question. It is not the religion I am opposed to. It is their "faith based" activities and organizations I oppose. I do not support companies who spend my money on "right to life" activities. I do not support companies who require employees to practice a specific faith to work there (other than churches, where it is both implied and open). I do not support companies who's moral view includes condoning hate against any person - including homosexuals and/or those of other faiths and beliefs. I do not support hate or violence or discrimination in any organization. I do not support organizations who's profits go toward activities in direct opposition of MY position, An example - I give money to support Planned Parenthood - why would I then spend money buying products knowing the profits from my purchase were being used to demonstrate and lobby against a woman's right to chose. I don't buy conflict diamonds or gemstones. I don't buy clothing or rugs manufactured by sweat shops or child workers. I do not wear fur. I shop at Walgreens because they have a policy in place that REQUIRES Pharmacists working there dispense ALL prescriptions even if they are "personally morally opposed" to them. If they refuse they are fired. I do not shop at Wal Mart because I oppose their employment and environmental policies. I have a 100% organic yard and use NO chemicals or pesticides. I recyle EVERYTHING I can. I drive an Element because it doesn't pollute the air. The list goes on........

It may seem silly to many but I follow MY beliefs (just as Interstate does) and I prefer to follow them in EVERY area of my life (just as Interstate does). They have every right to run their business as they see fit and in accordance to their beliefs. In turn, have every right to NOT buy their products because of that. They have a choice and so do I. I do not feel it is in the least discriminatory, I do not buy their products but in turn, they would not hire me for a position within their privately owned company either.

ann54
11-13-2006, 03:35 PM
:???: Johnson Control MANUFACTURES Optima Batteries but the company is owned and the batteries distributed by Interstate.

As to the supporting "religion" question. It is not the religion I am opposed to. It is their "faith based" activities and organizations I oppose. I do not support companies who spend my money on "right to life" activities. I do not support companies who require employees to practice a specific faith to work there (other than churches, where it is both implied and open). I do not support companies who's moral view includes condoning hate against any person - including homosexuals and/or those of other faiths and beliefs. I do not support hate or violence or discrimination in any organization. I do not support organizations who's profits go toward activities in direct opposition of MY position, An example - I give money to support Planned Parenthood - why would I then spend money buying products knowing the profits from my purchase were being used to demonstrate and lobby against a woman's right to chose. I don't buy conflict diamonds or gemstones. I don't buy clothing or rugs manufactured by sweat shops or child workers. I do not wear fur. I shop at Walgreens because they have a policy in place that REQUIRES Pharmacists working there dispense ALL prescriptions even if they are "personally morally opposed" to them. If they refuse they are fired. I do not shop at Wal Mart because I oppose their employment and environmental policies. I have a 100% organic yard and use NO chemicals or pesticides. I recyle EVERYTHING I can. I drive an Element because it doesn't pollute the air. The list goes on........

It may seem silly to many but I follow MY beliefs (just as Interstate does) and I prefer to follow them in EVERY area of my life (just as Interstate does). They have every right to run their business as they see fit and in accordance to their beliefs. In turn, have every right to NOT buy their products because of that. They have a choice and so do I. I do not feel it is in the least discriminatory, I do not buy their products but in turn, they would not hire me for a position within their privately owned company either.

tango-i love you!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the post.:)

biocube
11-13-2006, 06:09 PM
me too! its a tango love-fest!

outpost4
11-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I've got to tell you a story. It's a little long and from a few years ago but at least a car is central in it, although it is not about cars.

In 1996 I went to Jazzfest in New Orleans. For a live music junkie like me, Jazzfest was heaven. You got everything from hard rock through great jazz, with country, gospel and folk thrown in for free. I saw Branford Marsalis and his band cover John Coltrane's A Love Supreme. The whole frackin' album. A dozen stages were going at once. On top of that, everybody knows New Orleans has great food and is a very cool party town. Before I left Louisiana, I knew I was coming back to Jazzfest the next year.

Later in 1996 I went to see Phish at Red Rocks. My friends and I were standing in the parking lot after the show, enjoying a beer and the afterglow of a great Phish concert, when I saw a beat-up station wagon next to us. The rear passenger's side window was covered with one of those stick-on maps of the United States you can buy at a RV store, with the states just outlined and where you can paste in a solid color for the state after you visit it. The owners of this station wagon obviously liked to travel. Virtually all of the states were filled in red. They were a few ones blank in the Pacific Northwest, the wagon's owners obviously not having done that swing yet, and somehow they had missed Maine, but most of the country had the red states pasted in. Then there was Louisiana. It was empty. They hadn't visited Louisiana. Its emptiness was shocking as it was surrounded by red.

In 1996 there was an active boycott sponsored by NOW over Louisiana's restrictive abortion laws. NOW was recommending people not visit Louisiana until they changed their laws. I had discussed this boycott with friends, trying to get them to go to Jazzfest in '97, but nothing had been decided. I kept staring at that old station wagon. These people obviously loved to travel. They also probably liked live music as much or more than I did. It is almost impossible to drive from, say, Florida to Texas without going though Louisiana. But these folks did it. They went all over the south and had skipped Louisiana. They had convictions and practiced them.

I took another sip of my beer and decided if these folks could live their principles, then so could I. I hardly considered myself a hypocrite before that moment but I had a consciousness raising experience in that parking lot. I ran a business that treated customers like I would want to be treated. I stopped telling jokes degrading to women. And to this day, I have never been back to Louisiana.

NOW's boycott is long since over. I have no idea of the current status of Louisiana's abortion laws but nobody is now telling me not to go there anymore. In fact, people in Louisiana are now saying come visit us, please. I may well go to Jazzfest in 2007. It's time again.

Great post, Tango. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/940070/fing32.gif

wli98122
11-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Costco sells a direct lead-acid replacement battery
Series 51R $42

Agree it is a low capacity smallish unit, and seems to me a larger battery will fit in if you modify the hold-downs.

tango
11-13-2006, 07:34 PM
It means something when you remain true to your principles. I find it actually makes my life easier - the rules are yours, after all, and the passion to stick with em is already there. And as in your epiphany at the Red Rocks illustrates so well - just doing what is "right" often has ripples that spread in amazing ways to influence others.

No-one need be an "activist" or a "radical" to make a difference. Simply living life in a way that celebrates the courage of your convictions can make a huge difference. And while others may not agree with YOUR beliefs isn't it wonderful that we are free to have (and express) them! I personally applaud you and I believe that you are making a difference. Just keep that ripple in mind.....and keep it going!

ann54
11-13-2006, 08:36 PM
It means something when you remain true to your principles. I find it actually makes my life easier - the rules are yours, after all, and the passion to stick with em is already there. And as in your epiphany at the Red Rocks illustrates so well - just doing what is "right" often has ripples that spread in amazing ways to influence others.

No-one need be an "activist" or a "radical" to make a difference. Simply living life in a way that celebrates the courage of your convictions can make a huge difference. And while others may not agree with YOUR beliefs isn't it wonderful that we are free to have (and express) them! I personally applaud you and I believe that you are making a difference. Just keep that ripple in mind.....and keep it going!

couldn't agree more and outpost4-bravo bud.:)

cdkrall
11-19-2006, 07:54 PM
NAPA/Orbital 9934/78

1000 CA, 770 CCA

About $100 in 2004.

Has been totally reliable for two years. This includes being left in frozen airport parking lots for weeks at a time, leaving lights on accidentally while shopping for a couple of hours, leaving electric cooler running while running errands.

Fits in original battery spot, albeit very tightly. OEM battery cover won't fit, nor will crossbar. Bought adjustable crossbar for $5 at Advance which works perfectly.

ApriliaGuy
11-20-2006, 02:48 PM
If you haven't found your new battery yet, might I sugest a Deka ?!:)

Deka batteries (http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/)are made by East Penn Manufacturing.

I've used Dekas in my bikes and cars for quite a while now....their AGM batteries are excellent and are only a few bucks more than conventional batteries.

(I have one Interstate battery at the moment....it will be replaced by a Deka.)

Will

DLIVRY7
06-17-2007, 11:55 AM
""Johnson Control MANUFACTURES Optima Batteries but the company is owned and the batteries distributed by Interstate.

As to the supporting "religion" question. It is not the religion I am opposed to. It is their "faith based" activities and organizations I oppose. I do not support companies who spend my money on "right to life" activities. I do not support companies who require employees to practice a specific faith to work there (other than churches, where it is both implied and open). I do not support companies who's moral view includes condoning hate against any person - including homosexuals and/or those of other faiths and beliefs. I do not support hate or violence or discrimination in any organization. I do not support organizations who's profits go toward activities in direct opposition of MY position, An example - I give money to support Planned Parenthood - why would I then spend money buying products knowing the profits from my purchase were being used to demonstrate and lobby against a woman's right to chose. I don't buy conflict diamonds or gemstones. I don't buy clothing or rugs manufactured by sweat shops or child workers. I do not wear fur. I shop at Walgreens because they have a policy in place that REQUIRES Pharmacists working there dispense ALL prescriptions even if they are "personally morally opposed" to them. If they refuse they are fired. I do not shop at Wal Mart because I oppose their employment and environmental policies. I have a 100% organic yard and use NO chemicals or pesticides. I recyle EVERYTHING I can. I drive an Element because it doesn't pollute the air. The list goes on........ ""

one day maybe you will figure out who owns optima. if you are claiming interstate requires employess to practive a certain faith, you are still clueless.

DorchesterBoy
06-17-2007, 02:34 PM
OMG... This is the first thread that I have read on this forum that has actually made me angry. I was just looking for info on batteries and ran into a lot of intollerance and bigotry. What is that all about?

I really don't think that people read this forum to be lectured about someone else's moral interpretations. It is not constructive and just angers those who do not see things exactly the way you do.

My first thought was to go off on a rant, but I will refrain. Kind of a good idea don't ya think?.... Peace