Tires ---- Have You Upgraded Yours ????????? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Tires ---- Have You Upgraded Yours ?????????

HEMan
07-08-2003, 12:17 AM
My E came equipped with Good Year Wranglers (I guess these are standard). I find them to be very noisy and slightly squirmy. Have any of you changed your tires? I want to change these but I want to make sure I am getting a quiet, stable tire that works well on the E. Also would like to improve 4WD capability if that is possible with a new tire. Especially interested in improving sand capabilities. I would like to hear any experiences and recommendations.

Also, is there a market for tires with a few hundred miles on them? How much are the Wrangler's worth? Will tire dealers take them in trade or do I have to find a buyer?

Simon
07-08-2003, 03:50 AM
Stock tires are poor quality and undersized. The Element has great big wheel openings.. Bigger tires look much better.

pedsflightrn
07-08-2003, 02:07 PM
I upgraded to an all terrain tire and also went larger. I have the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, 235/70/16. I think they handle wonderfully and are not really very noisy at all for an A/T tire. You can check out Tirerack.com for a review on many different tires.

Element
07-08-2003, 03:39 PM
Any great tire companies out there that offers the "A" ratings on temperature and treading? I perfer the standard factory tire size 215/70/16

Thanks

Einstein
07-08-2003, 07:39 PM
The 215's they put on the car are more like 195's worth of tread.

I know, because I put new 205 Yoko's on our CR-V, and the Wranglers on the Element has narrower tread where the rubber meets the road.

Einstein
07-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Michelin Pilot LTX are H-speed rated and have 400 A A UTQG, plus they have a $50 rebate going on when you buy 4. If I was staying with OEM- size tires, these are the ones I would want.

Just note that you give up snow traction by not getting the S speed rated LTX M+S tire, which has a 500 A B UTQG.

Rebate applies to both tires. Michelins are excellent quality.

[quote:46a6d684e7="Element"]Any great tire companies out there that offers the "A" ratings on temperature and treading? I perfer the standard factory tire size 215/70/16

Thanks[/quote:46a6d684e7]

Brookes
07-08-2003, 09:01 PM
I just upgraded the wheels and tires on my E. I put a set of 18 in. chrome Helo tease wheels with some g-force T/A 245/55/18 tires. It handles the corners much better and looks sweet with a bigger fotprint. I'm thinking of dropping it 2 inches as well. The only downside is the wider tires grip the road... :D and all of the grooves and pot holes. :D

Tony Soprano
07-09-2003, 02:05 AM
235/70/16 Goodyear Fortera's ..

These tires kick butt...

Best thing I could've done. Really changes the look of the E.

SteveO
07-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Yeah, after nearly 1000 miles in my first two weeks, I am pining for some bigger rubber myself. I made a note to myself on this, so I'll paste it here:

Bigger/better tires. Stock tires wear quickly and look wimpy. You should see what my Dunlop Rover all-terrains do for looks AND ride quality. -- from Xenon-E (member)

You can look up his post, I'm sure there are others on tire upgrades here, too. I have read of many people trading in their tires for new ones, but don't expect to get what they're worth!

Let us know what you get, HEMan!
Steve

Element
07-09-2003, 07:07 PM
I must be getting old.

What's H-speed?

What's 400 A A UTQG?

What's S-speed 500 A B UTQG

Please tell me what these term means ???

Thanks

ELMNTAL
07-09-2003, 07:20 PM
I'm running Toyo Open Country 235/70/R16 on mine...much quieter ride, sturdier feel and better traction.

oh and they look cool :lol:

Einstein
07-09-2003, 07:52 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/speed.htm

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/utqg.htm

[quote:f1ea44f2ee="Element"]I must be getting old.

What's H-speed?

What's 400 A A UTQG?

What's S-speed 500 A B UTQG

Please tell me what these term means ???

Thanks[/quote:f1ea44f2ee]

pharaohxiii
07-09-2003, 08:57 PM
[quote:84e5a81ca9="Tony Soprano"]235/70/16 Goodyear Fortera's ..

These tires kick butt...

Best thing I could've done. Really changes the look of the E.[/quote:84e5a81ca9]Yo T.! Let's see some photos of these kick butt look changing tires!!!!

pharaohxiii
07-09-2003, 09:06 PM
[quote:024a0a0f4b="ELMNTAL"]I'm running Toyo Open Country 235/70/R16 on mine...much quieter ride, sturdier feel and better traction.

oh and they look cool :lol:[/quote:024a0a0f4b]I'm going with the exact same tire from Les Schwab. Since my H3 is the 2WD EX, I'm also going with "SIPING" on each tire. The Toyo come with some siping from the factory, but not enough. SIPING your tires will improve traction, braking, acceleration and dramatically improve the life of your tires. Try it...You'll like it! Les Schwab charges $11.50 per tire.....worth every penny!

camper
07-09-2003, 10:38 PM
What is "SIPING"?

pharaohxiii
07-10-2003, 12:22 AM
[quote:d0e527b3ec="camper"]What is "SIPING"?[/quote:d0e527b3ec]Hey Camper...take a look at the tires on your Element. Look close. You should see criss-cross cuts in the tread. That's what is known as "SIPING". Most tires are SIPED direct from the factory. Problem is, the cuts aren't deep enough and there aren't enough of them to make a difference. Les Schwab has a really cool machine that they anchor the tire into. They machine has cutting blades that travel over your tire putting thousands of cuts in it. Some Les Schwab Stores will actually let you go out into the shop to watch. I guess they figure the more people that know about SIPING and how it's done...the more the word will spread about SIPING. I traded in a 1996 Oldsmobile Bravada for my H3. The Michelin tires on the Bravada were SIPED, which really complimented the SMARTRAK ALL WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM. Performed GREAT in the snow and even BETTER on ice. It performed as well or better than an Audi with the Quattro System. Along with the enhanced performance, the tires still looked new after 50k miles (free tire rotation and balance every 10k miles with Les Schwab tires).

Brookes
07-10-2003, 02:28 AM
Hey Element, I'm no expert but the way I understand it is that the speed rating refers to the performance of the tire and the top speed it can handle. The 400 AA is the tread wear on a tire the higher the number the longer the life. There's also heat ratings too. You can find these of the sidewalls in small print.

Element
07-10-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks Brooks,

I guess our factory tires were rated at 340 A B which is okay right? What is the "avg" SUV tire number going at?

Can we get tires above the 500 mark?

I heard their are new tires comming out with a "AA" rating, can anyone name a few companies and their pricies?

Thanks