Flashing "D"...What does it mean?!?! [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Flashing "D"...What does it mean?!?!

43% burnt
12-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Today on my way to work, as i was driving along as usual, the "D" symbol (Drive) on my instrument cluster started flashing. Nothing out of the ordinary happened along with this like any noise or change in handling. I stopped the car, put it in park and the "D" continued flashing. Then I turned the car off and started it up again and it was fine. What does this mean?

This happened last week also. That time i was on a long road trip and was taking shifts driving w/ my Dad. I was using the cruise control, and left it engaged (Cruise control button on) when he took over and the "D" started flashing. The same thing as today happened, nothing weird and when we shut the car off and restarted it it was fine. I couldn't find anything in the manual about this, and We kinda figured maybe it was due to the Cruise Control still being engaged.

Does anyone know what this means? Is it a warning/alert of some kind? Or is it something electrical, like a bad fuse?

I'm kinda concerned about this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ramblerdan
12-06-2006, 10:59 AM
If [the "D" indicator] flashes while driving (in any shift position), it indicates a possible problem in the transmission.

2004 owner's manual, page 127

lifeizgood
12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
If [the "D" indicator] flashes while driving (in any shift position), it indicates a possible problem in the transmission.

:-P :-P No, not the manual! :-P :-P

You're a good man, Dan.

outpost4
12-06-2006, 11:13 AM
I never knew a manual transmission could have a flashing D, ramblerdan. ;-) :D

43% burnt
12-06-2006, 11:42 AM

Oh jeeeez...Not the answer I was looking for.

I guess I better take it in. Do you guys think it's safe to drive like that?

xequar
12-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Given that automatic transmissions are driven by witchcraft and voodoo anyway, it's probably a sensor that's out of whack. But, given that it's an automatic transmission and people can make a living doing nothing else but repairing automatic transmissions, I'd get it looked at ASAP.

43% burnt
12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Spoke to the dealer, and I'm bringing it in tomorrow. I'll post more info once i find out whats causing it.

I'm just praying that it's covered under warranty. It should be, I got it certified pre-owned not even a year ago.

pa_fun
12-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi

It could be something as simple as a loose wire ....

Bob

43% burnt
12-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Brought my E to the dealer today, after running a diagnostic on it they determined I need a new "3rd Gear Pressure Switch". I'm not quite sure what this part is or does, but it is part of the automatic transmission...and is covered under warranty...Thank god!!

dparrothead1
12-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Brought my E to the dealer today, after running a diagnostic on it they determined I need a new "3rd Gear Pressure Switch". I'm not quite sure what this part is or does, but it is part of the automatic transmission...and is covered under warranty...Thank god!!
Another good reason for the Honda Care extended warranty,,,,especially on previously owned cars.

43% burnt
12-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Another good reason for the Honda Care extended warranty,,,,especially on previously owned cars.
Thats for sure!

lifeizgood
12-08-2006, 10:04 AM

Glad 2 hear!

pa_fun
12-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi

So did the switch fix it or did the problem come back?

Bob

43% burnt
12-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi

So did the switch fix it or did the problem come back?

Bob
My ride won't be ready until monday...so I won't know until then. I certainly hope so though!!

cstripe
12-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Acutally the drivetrain is covered for 7year/100k on a certified used car.

Non-powertrain components are covered for 12months/12k on certified used cars.

lance
12-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Had this happen to me this morning - funny thing, I was reading this thread a few days ago...:confused: I live 30+ miles from my dealer so I am having this towed in. Hopefully it is a warranty item.

43% burnt
12-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Had this happen to me this morning - funny thing, I was reading this thread a few days ago...:confused: I live 30+ miles from my dealer so I am having this towed in. Hopefully it is a warranty item.
Weird...Good luck, I wonder if it's the same part? You have the same year/model as me. Make sure to post the outcome once you find out.

If it's transmission related, which the flashing "D" indicates, it shoud be covered under your powertrain warranty, assuming it's still valid.

43% burnt
12-11-2006, 02:58 PM
My E is ready. They replaced the 3rd gear pressure switch, and it cost me $0. Another gold star for Honda in my book. I'm really glad I went with the certified pre-owned. I would've been out of warranty if I went with the standard new car warranty.

3_3rdHonda
12-11-2006, 04:50 PM
... Another gold star for Honda...

What kind of star for no problems?

lance
12-11-2006, 10:46 PM
My E is ready. They replaced the 3rd gear pressure switch, and it cost me $0. Another gold star for Honda in my book. I'm really glad I went with the certified pre-owned. I would've been out of warranty if I went with the standard new car warranty.

Mine was a rodent issue - apparently an unknown rodent had chewed through the tranmission wire harness. Unfortunately, chewing is not covered under my warranty. :sad: Cost me $250. Good thing is it's fixed. :)

pa_fun
12-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Mine was a rodent issue - apparently an unknown rodent had chewed through the tranmission wire harness.

Hi

Around here parking a car in the back yard with a tarp over is a popular thing to do. Every time I see one I wonder about critters ...

Bob

ApriliaGuy
12-14-2006, 08:07 AM
parking a car in the back yard with a tarp over is a popular thing to do. Every time I see one I wonder about critters ...

Yeah....and contrary to popular redneck belief....putting 'em up on concrete blocks (or milk crates :-o ) dosen't keep them critters away!

:D

Will

pa_fun
12-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Hi

If you watch any small rodent for a little while, none of them have much trouble with a concrete block or anything else you would pop a car up on. If you store the car, either blast it out every so often, or just accept that it will get munched on.

Same thing's true of airplanes ...

Bob