Best Sub/woofers [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Best Sub/woofers

boomin_sound
07-12-2003, 07:56 PM
What are some of the best (sub)woofers available. I am looking for something loud and extremely bassy like my rear view better be shakin!!

eMass
07-12-2003, 08:11 PM
For truly serious bass check out these...

JL audio W7's...
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/images/12W7_FLT.jpg

Eclipse Titaniums...
http://www.cbrstereo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/88100.jpg

Kicker Solo 18x's...
http://www.cbrstereo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/SOLO18X.jpg

MTX Thunder 9500's...
http://www.cbrstereo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Thunder9500.jpg

Any of these will provide you with earth shattering bass BUT ONLY if you provide them with the power to do so. Invest in great amps and consider upgrading your car's electrical system if you really want them to pound.

MiamiElement
07-13-2003, 01:32 AM
Would the JL Audio W7's fit in the Element's Subwoofer Location?

eMass
07-13-2003, 08:31 AM
None of those will fit in the stock sub location. JL and Rockford make 6.5" subwoofers but the stock sub is dual voice coil and the JL and Rockford subs are single voice coil. There is no DVC 6.5" sub available on the market today as far as I know. The stock sub is made by Alpine and ironically they do not sell a sub like this to consumers.

In reality though, if you want to make big bass, you just can't do it from a small speaker. Big speakers make big sounds. A 6.5" or 8" speaker is good for making nice mid-bass but for low bass you really have to go to 10" or bigger.

In order to use these speakers in the Element, you'd have to get creative with how you mount them. Here's a few options...

1. The simplest option is to put the sub in a separate enclosure and let it sit in the trunk area.

2. Next simplest would be to buy the JL Audio stealthbox which will have a 10" sub and will replace the current subwoofer and enclosure in favor of a larger piece but will retain the factory appearance somewhat. This product is due out within the next 90 days.

3. You could have an installer build a custom center console that is actually a sub enclosure that fits between the seats.

4. You could remove the spare tire and use the empty cavity as a large sub enclosure by molding a fiberglass box directly to the contours of the cavity. This is probably the only option for people wanting to put a really big sub in the Element but still hide it.

Hope this helps. :D

Nat
07-13-2003, 01:52 PM
I'm waiting for the JL sub. I currently have an 8" Kicker solo-baric with a cheapo pyramid 600 watts X 1. The JL sub will be awesome no-doubt.

mreis171
07-13-2003, 09:08 PM
[quote:dabac29a1f="eMass"]None of those will fit in the stock sub location. JL and Rockford make 6.5" subwoofers but the stock sub is dual voice coil and the JL and Rockford subs are single voice coil. There is no DVC 6.5" sub available on the market today as far as I know. The stock sub is made by Alpine and ironically they do not sell a sub like this to consumers.
[/quote:dabac29a1f]

The stock sub is made by Alpine? I didn't know that. I know you're not a big fan of the stock system in the E, but just out of curiosity, do you know what brand the speakers are? Just wondering.

Thanks a lot.

spacemen3
07-14-2003, 01:54 AM
i think the stock speakers are made by a company called ....s*hit...

they are owned by microsoft and go under the name of "cardboard"....stock symbol : "crap"

my advice to all .... listen to emass .... take advantage of his knowleges and form your own opinion .... every ear is different...i like clean highs...low bass...some like tons of base....blah blah

also .... emass is doing all of us a service...i fell lucky to get his knowledge for free

my 2 cents

robert

spacemen3
07-14-2003, 01:57 AM
i type fast...sorry for the horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible spelling

eMass
07-14-2003, 07:22 AM
[quote:089a1c476a="mreis171"]The stock sub is made by Alpine? I didn't know that. I know you're not a big fan of the stock system in the E, but just out of curiosity, do you know what brand the speakers are? Just wondering.

Thanks a lot.[/quote:089a1c476a]

The speakers are also made by Alpine. The following URL shows an exploded diagram of most of the EX audio components and lists Alpine as the manufacturer for all of the speakers, sub and subwoofer enclosure.

Check it out - it's interesting. :D

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Element&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=5DR+EX+4WD&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=RADIO+ANTENNA-SPEAKER

mreis171
07-14-2003, 08:45 AM
[quote:d5cdd417d5="eMass"]
The speakers are also made by Alpine. The following URL shows an exploded diagram of most of the EX audio components and lists Alpine as the manufacturer for all of the speakers, sub and subwoofer enclosure.

Check it out - it's interesting. :D

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Element&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=5DR+EX+4WD&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=RADIO+ANTENNA-SPEAKER[/quote:d5cdd417d5]

Thanks a lot! That's a really useful site. It also answered another question I placed on this board about a broken tail light, and what exactly needs to be replaced.

jnberr0
07-14-2003, 03:29 PM
[quote:d3ccb782d7="eMass"]

In reality though, if you want to make big bass, you just can't do it from a small speaker. Big speakers make big sounds. A 6.5" or 8" speaker is good for making nice mid-bass but for low bass you really have to go to 10" or bigger.

:D[/quote:d3ccb782d7]

I know I'm no expert, but I must note one exception to the above statement. I once heard a Carver Sunfire (?) home sub that was only 8" but almost made me yack it produced so much bass. Maybe had something to do with the fact that it had something like 2500 watts pushing it and the magnet weighed a metric ton!! :shock:

eMass
07-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Here's the 50,000 ft. overview:

Advantages:
Assuming all other things are equal bigger speakers can play louder, more efficiently, and can usually produce lower sounds.

Disadvantage:
You need a larger enclosure as compared with smaller speakers.

And here are the technical reasons why this is true:

The biggest benefit to using a larger speaker is sound pressure level (SPL). The more piston area you use, the higher SPL and power handling potential you have. Larger speakers couple better acoustically to the interior of a car and give a more impressive impact than a smaller one.

Knowing this, people often get confused when considering multiple small speakers Vs. fewer larger ones. Often, a single larger driver would be cheaper than several multiples, may consume less valuable trunk space, cost less or fit the person's needs better than another driver. Also, larger drivers usually have larger voice coils and larger magnet structures and thus will handle more power than a smaller driver.

The big advantage of multiple speakers is that the power will be distributed to different voice coils - reducing the likelihood of power compression at typical listening levels. Power compression is a loss of amplifier power and change in speaker parameters due to a rise in the DC resistance of the voice coil as a result of heat. Multiple speakers are less likely to suffer from this effect and will generally sound cleaner at higher output levels.

As far as actual reproduction, it really isn't fair to say that a smaller speaker will perform as well as a larger one in every vehicle due to the transfer function of the vehicle. If you were to use a two comparbly sized speakers, each with different -3dB points, say 20 hz apart you are definitely going to notice a difference in the way both systems sound even in the audible (or shall I say "useable" region).
In larger cabins, larger speakers will have a distinct advantage in that they will couple better with their environment and give a more realistic performance than will a smaller driver.

The 8" home speaker you heard probably sounded big because it was in a large enclosure tuned for bass with a bandpass enclosure and the room you listened to it in was a good environment. Home audio is different like that. Seats, carpet, glass, and plastic coupled with tight install space requirements, power capabilities and enclosure size restraints are common car audio challenges and in this world bigger tends to be better in terms of moving air.

But most of all, bigger speakers stroke the egos of millions of bassheads all around the world simply because they're cool! 8)

jnberr0
07-15-2003, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I wasn't trying to argue your point. You certainly know more than I on the subject, but that little sub I heard was amazing. I'm not sure how it made so much noise, but I do know it was TINY!! I mean, including the enclosure, it was only a 10" cube. I do remember the thing had something like 2 or 3 inches of throw to the speaker. And I remember it being SOOOO heavy. If you get a chance, check one out. It's just so odd to hear such a small package make so much sound.

http://www.sunfire.com/truesubmarkIV.htm#featured

eMass
07-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Oh, I realize that you weren't arguing anything but I decided to use your post as an opportunity to compare small speakers with big ones. I hope you don't feel as though I was simply being contrary since that was not my intention.

Those sunfire box specs are amazing! Any idea on what the unit costs? I'd like to hear one myself. :D

Ramy
07-15-2003, 08:38 AM
That was the smaller one!
Check out the specs on this...

http://www.sunfire.com/truesub.htm

The one posted above is around $1000 and the one I posted is around $1500.

jnberr0
07-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Depending on where you look, you can find these for $800 to $1200. I immediately started saving money to purchase one after hearing it, but a move to San Francisco interrupted my plans. I'd still like to get one though, if only for the fact that they are so small they'll fit into any layout. And the sound really is ridiculous considering its size.

And apparently these versions out now are BETTER than the one I heard three years ago. Ugh. So many toys. So little cash.

gstyper
07-15-2003, 09:48 PM
You should look into an ED sub. They are very affordable and can give you all of the spl as well as good sq that you want. Hopefully you can see the pic below. It's an 8" dual voicecoil sub.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p32bc7b04bb24dd9b4a867dc5a1acf332/fbf3ecad.jpg