Line Output Jack [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Line Output Jack

MiamiElement
07-13-2003, 01:31 AM
Is there a way to tap into the Auxilary input other than through the little MP3 jack? Reason I ask, is the system I purchased, has a line output jack, that would allow me to tap into the auxilary thus allowing me not to have to be in the FM Modulation mode. That is if I'm reading everything I'm reading correctly. Any advice/information would be wonderful. The unit I have is the Sony with the docking station.

eMass
07-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Not quite sure I understand what you're asking.

Are you saying you want to tie the aux input jack on the Element dash into the aux input on your new head unit?

zarathustra
07-13-2003, 08:46 AM
I dont know any other way to input to the radio. I havent yanked the thing out but I'm not sure why they one they provide isn't going to work for you application. You can allways get convertors for any type of uotput source you have to a 1/8" jack.

MiamiElement
07-13-2003, 01:19 PM
[quote:b08a3e365d="eMass"]Not quite sure I understand what you're asking.

Are you saying you want to tie the aux input jack on the Element dash into the aux input on your new head unit?[/quote:b08a3e365d]

I'm saying I want to use the lineoutputs of my Sony XM Controller (the part that you change the stations on FM with) to the Auxilary on the stock headunit.

eMass
07-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Well you can tie into the aux jack wiring in the dash or you can use a cable to actually plug into the jack plug itself as zarathustra mentions.

The difference is that first option hides the wire the second does not.

I don't know of any other way into the stock radio except for the cd changer input for which there is no adapter or source button to select it anyway so that's really not an option.

Does that answer your question? :D

MiamiElement
07-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Yes I suppose that does. Was just wondering if anyone had ever attempted what I'm wanting to do, and if so, how did they go about doing it, or how would they go about doing it if they were trying what I want to do. So my only option then would be to splice into the auxilary input, and possibly make a passthru of sorts. Just wanted to know if it is a viable option.

And lastly, would the quality of my XM be any better for going through the Aux input, or should I just be happy with FM Modulation?

Might this be a clue to how to do it? Not sure if this was what you intended when you made the following post:

AUX wiring on radio:

According to the service manual, the green one is refered to as connector 202-D. Six pins, starting fron the left with the key on top:

1= yellow, (AUX-DET)
2= blue, (AUX-GND)
3= brown, (AUX-Audio Right Channel)
4= green, (AUX-Audio common ground)
5= white, (AUX-Audio Left Channel)
6= lt green/red, (AUX SH GND)

You need to short wires 1 and 2 to activate the AUX port on the stock radio.

Could a good installer be able to come up with an elegant way to do this?

Also, I saw someone mention getting a PIE HON-AUX adapter and wiring it into the headunit so that the CD Changer could be used for this purpose. That would leave the Aux input free (aparently you have to click the CD button twice to get to the CD Changer, and this might work too)

MiamiElement
07-13-2003, 05:11 PM
Found the link to where this can be purchased here...

http://www.installer.com/acc/honaux.html

eMass
07-13-2003, 06:59 PM
If what you say is true about clicking the cd button twice *and* a CD changer to AUX adapter truly does exist - then it should work.

I have not tried it however.

Also, that AUX diagram is correct - if you short the appropriate wires - you can tap into the aux jack behind the dash - this would leave the aux jack on the dash live and allow for your XM to work too off the AUX channel. You would simply have to manually control which source is playing over the AUX line by turning one source off and another on.

Example: If you had XM hard wired in you'd have to turn it off before you could plug in an iPod at the dash AUX jack. Otherwise you'd probably hear both at the same time.

If you give an installer that diagram - they shoudl be able to figure things out rather easily.

And yes, hard wiring your satellite radio into your system instead of using the FM modulation will provide much cleaner sound.

Also, Eddie's site - www.installer.com - is a great resource. I suggest anyone interested in car audio read his tech articles. Eddie also hangs out alot on rec.car.audio so if you have hardcore questions - you might also consider posting there.

MiamiElement
07-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Well, I got an email from the person that was trying the PIE Aux-Hon, and they told me that it didn't work on the Element, so I will have my installer tap into the Auxillary Input like you said. Thanks for the patience, and great advice. Will let you know how everything sounds once it's installed the way I want it.

MiamiElement
07-15-2003, 09:11 PM
EMass this is what you have said.

AUX wiring on radio:

According to the service manual, the green one is refered to as connector 202-D. Six pins, starting fron the left with the key on top:

1= yellow, (AUX-DET)
2= blue, (AUX-GND)
3= brown, (AUX-Audio Right Channel)
4= green, (AUX-Audio common ground)
5= white, (AUX-Audio Left Channel)

You need to short wires 1 and 2 to activate the AUX port on the stock radio.

But on Honda Element . Org another person game me this message:

Here's the wiring diagram for the OEM HU(head unit) AUX plug.

1= yellow, (AUX-DET)
2= blue, (AUX-GND)
3= brown, (AUX-RCH)
4= green, (AUX-S-GND)
5= white, (AUX-LCH)

I cut out 2 RCA plugs and spliced the wire to the left and the right.

I then shorted out wire 1 and 6. This is the activation wires for the AUX button of the OEM HU.

Viola, you have rca inputs for the Auxiliary input.

John

----------------------------

So, the question is. Do you short out wires 1 and 6 or wires 1 and 2? Just want to make sure I'm giving my installer the right information.

eMass
07-15-2003, 09:24 PM
IIRC it is 1 and 2 and I cant confirm without ripping my dash apart but your installer should be able to figure it out rather easily.

Please let us know what you find out so we can be 100% positive.

Thanks.

MiamiElement
07-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Just returned from Audio Elite in Miami, and had the XM FM Modulated Signal eliminated. Now I am utilizing the Auxilary output of the Sony system. It has made an incredible difference in sound quality. I can now see myself listening to the music stations, before I would have been relegated to just talk shows (which for me actually would have been fine too).

Now I need to find a decent place to put a better 5 channel amplifier.

BTW, the installer told me that shorting wires 1 and 2 or wires 1 and 6 had the same effect.

Thanks for all the help. Is so much nicer to not have to listen to static when I get into my Element (the XM Unit turns itself off when you turn off the car, so I'd get to listen to the static on 107.1 - joy of joys).

eMass
07-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Glad it worked out for you Miami. :D

Sounds much better hard wired, huh? 8)

Thanks very much for following up with that wiring info.

I do want to warn you - it's gonna be hard finding a place for a 5 channel amp.

Consider 2 smaller amps however....

1 two channel amp for the front speakers.
1 two channel amp for the subwoofer.

Then just use the existing system power for the rear speakers.

Cheers.

MiamiElement
07-17-2003, 11:48 PM
You're saying just use the existing amp for the rear speakers? Never considered that if that's what you're talking about. Was hoping there'd be some room behind the glove compartment for a largish amp, but really haven't looked there. I do know that I don't want my Element to look anything but stock (atleast on the inside when talking about audio - get's lots of attention now, would hate to have it get the wrong kind of attention later).

Did you do anything special to mount the amp under the passenger seat?

eMass
07-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Yes, I carved out some extra space from the plastic trim panel under the seat and I used risers to bolt down the amp. The heating/cooling vents are still functional and the amp fits well. If I ever need to return everything to stock, that plastic panel is less than $50. Here's a picture...

http://home.comcast.net/~derek-kelly/element/audio/sub_amp.jpg

Ramy
07-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Any concerns about running the heater in the winter time and overheating the amp? I couldn't really tell from the pictures if your cutting set the amp in mid path of the heater output.

eMass
07-18-2003, 10:14 AM
No. I insulated between the pan and the ducts. As far as ambient air temp from heating the vehicle in the winter is concerned - I'm not concerned at all.

Remember, winter is cold. Yes, there are ducts underneath the amp but the output is directed away from the amps and heat rises. I'd be more concerned if I had ducts running along an amp that was in an enclosed space.