Honda Element Owners Club banner

Dog Owners: how often do you visit vet, and what do you get done?

3K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  ann54 
#1 ·
our dog is 1 year old, and we have kept strict compliance with the schedule that the shelter gave us. we give our dog heartworm prevention medicine, and tick/flea repellant.

the yearly booster visit turned into a fiasco. they stated that we must get tests done for heartworm, and parasites and charged my wife a ton of money.

how often do you visit the vet?

are the heartworm, and parasite tests normal every year?

how much should a vet visit for rabies booster, heartworm test and parasite test cost?

i feel like we just got taken for a ride.

#2 · (Edited)
TheOle34 said:
our dog is 1 year old, and we have kept strict compliance with the schedule that the shelter gave us. we give our dog heartworm prevention medicine, and tick/flea repellant.

the yearly booster visit turned into a fiasco. they stated that we must get tests done for heartworm, and parasites and charged my wife a ton of money.
how often do you visit the vet?
are the heartworm, and parasite tests normal every year?
how much should a vet visit for rabies booster, heartworm test and parasite test cost?
i feel like we just got taken for a ride.
The Heartworm test is not needed if your dog has been on the pill consistently.
Your vet should give you a printed list of Shots needed and when needed. Ex. Rabies - Date given and the date it is good till. Some shots are yearly. If you have doubts change vets. I did in the past till I found one I liked and trusted. Ask around.:) Best of luck with your pup!:cool:

Post em here: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21325

#3 ·
another local vet stated that i was overcharged quite a bit for the tests.

they are listed on many sites for about half what we paid.

live and learn.

ps.. i love our dog, but i don't want to pay unecessary fees.

#4 ·
I take all the pets in once a year for complete physicals and whatever shots are on their schedule. There are usually a few in between visits too since my guys and girls are mostly older now. My vet sends me reminders for check-ups, shots, heartworm tests, etc.

#5 · (Edited)
Have you looked at getting pet insurance? Pet Smart has a program now for routine medical care. I don't use it but many do.

If your pup seems healthy, then a once a year to the vet is probably fine. You should at least have an annual checkup done their first few years. Consider going every six months when they're elderly -- a few months for us is the equivalent of years for our dogs.

Gidget has never had a "parasite check" that I know of -- unless that's part of the heartworm regimen.

Gidget (my Samoyed) is not on heartworm preventative or flea stuff during winter months. A heartworm test is done as part of her annual bloodwork that I have done because I like the annual assurance that her vital organs are functioning at 100% and the baseline record we now have. (She's 4 1/2 and I've been having an annual "geriatric" blood workup done since she was two).

The good news -- cost-wise and health-wise for our pups -- is that the vet establishment finally is easing up on the vaccination schedule.

Gidget's primary care is at a 24/7 emergency facility (Alexandria Animal Hospital). In the past few years, the only vaccine Gidget gets that they have not dialed back to once every 3 years is kennel cough. Gidget gets the usual vaccines, plus leptospirosis. She does not get lyme. Kennel cough is annual and I have it done because she's around so many other dogs in the city and to preserve the option of a kennel if I have to go out of town on short notice. By the way, I just now noticed that my vet's web page has been revamped and they have this excellent new library resource available free:

http://www.alexandriaanimalhospital.com/site/view/59025_PetLibrary.pml

I strongly recommend investing $16 a year in the online Whole Dog Journal. www.whole-dog-journal.com Extremely informative on dog nutrition, health care and behavioral issues and training, I've sent several articles and a host of questions to my vet -- especially on the subject of vaccinations. Pays to be informed. They do an annual study on dog food that alone is well worth the annual subscription.

You can also purchase articles from back issues.

It's vital that you find a vet you have confidence in. Sooner the better, as it's priceless for your pup to have a longstanding relationship with a vet who knows their medical history intimately and personally. Ask other dog owners in your area who they like and why they like them.

Been a spendy year at the vet for me. Gidget's had two sebacious cysts and infected lip. We're going back to the vet tomorrow for follow-up on the latter. Cha-ching $$$$$$$$

But she's my baby.

:)

#6 ·
We have a pug, had him since a puppy and now he is 2 yrs. We bathe him, clean his wrinkles, examine the inside of his ears for infections weekly. It is just like a car, if you pay attention to him regularly you won't need major services.

I take my dog to petco/petsmart annually for the shot clinic they hold every month. (way cheaper than a vet.) They give you all the shots they need, can do the tests for heartworm and you can talk to the dr . Total cost for everything was $69.

#8 ·
On heartworm, from that library my vet links to (see previous post):

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=609&SourceID=

HOW OFTEN SHOULD A DOG BE TESTED?

This is a hard question to answer. If a dog is to begin taking a daily heartworm preventive (Filaribits), life-threatening reactions can occur if this dog has circulating microfilariae at the time medication is started. Dogs using this product should definitely be tested annually.

With differences in weather patterns every year (i.e. early spring one year, late freeze another year etc.), it becomes difficult to figure out in what month heartworm preventive medication should be initiated. If there is any question about when the last possible transmission date was in the previous season, it is probably a good idea to simply test the dog annually.

If there is any question about the dog spitting out any preventive tablets last season , then the dog should be tested before beginning prevention the next season.

If the dog consistently takes monthly heartworm preventive medication all year round, then testing can probably be performed every 2 to 3 years (though an annual physical exam is needed to legally obtain a prescription for medication).

If a dog lives in an area considered not to have heartworm and travels to an area that IS considered to have heartworm, both microfilaria and antigen testing should performed at least seven months after the last day the dog was present in the heartworm endemic area.
For more information on the different medications used in the prevention of heartworm infection, see heartworm treatment.

#9 ·
Every once in awhile I'll take the neighbor's dog to the vet to get the complimentary dog biscuits :twisted: They're quite tasty and I get to gave the $$$ on mods!

Regards,

Bobhc, where are you when we need you? :-o

Sorry for breaking in on this thread...

#10 ·
There's a huge vet establishment literally down the street from me but the first time I took my Megan there, they totally victimized me. Sooo...I'm shopping for a new vet. I like to take her in every 6 mos or so but its been a year now. She's an inside dog. When she's not doting over me, she guards the carpet.

#11 ·
hiker chick said:
On heartworm, from that library my vet links to (see previous post):

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=609&SourceID=

HOW OFTEN SHOULD A DOG BE TESTED?

This is a hard question to answer. If a dog is to begin taking a daily heartworm preventive (Filaribits), life-threatening reactions can occur if this dog has circulating microfilariae at the time medication is started. Dogs using this product should definitely be tested annually.

With differences in weather patterns every year (i.e. early spring one year, late freeze another year etc.), it becomes difficult to figure out in what month heartworm preventive medication should be initiated. If there is any question about when the last possible transmission date was in the previous season, it is probably a good idea to simply test the dog annually.

If there is any question about the dog spitting out any preventive tablets last season , then the dog should be tested before beginning prevention the next season.

If the dog consistently takes monthly heartworm preventive medication all year round, then testing can probably be performed every 2 to 3 years (though an annual physical exam is needed to legally obtain a prescription for medication).

If a dog lives in an area considered not to have heartworm and travels to an area that IS considered to have heartworm, both microfilaria and antigen testing should performed at least seven months after the last day the dog was present in the heartworm endemic area.
For more information on the different medications used in the prevention of heartworm infection, see heartworm treatment.

My dogs and cats get tested every two years for heartworm. They are on the medication all year, same with flea prevention.

#12 ·
I have a sib husky bought from a breeder(not a good breeder) with many health problems(incontinence, seizures, respiratory, and skin) she's 3 and we've spent several thousand dollars on her. When she was a pup we got a flyer for pet insurance and didn't do it. I wish I had, depending on coverages we would have made out like bandits!!!

I rescued my other husky we paid $25 for his shots to get him out of the shelter, and other than yearly shots grooming he has cost us nothing.

#13 ·
I have 2 pugs. We used to give them Heartguard for the necessary months (April thru Dec.) Then every spring we'd have to do the blood test again. This time, we decided to try the year round thing. We also changed and used the med that you place on the neck of the dogs that protects against heartworms, ticks, fleas, earmites, etc. We used that for the spring/summer months and then the Heartguard chewables from Dec thru March.

Here is what we pay: Annual Wellness Exam: 37.50
DHPP (3 years .) 17.90
Rabies (3 yrs.) ?(couldn't find receipt)
Fecal exam 12.00

And in 2006 Skippy was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis which cost us over $500 to discover and treat, and now he's on special dog food : $31 for 20 lb bag.

Note: Pancreatitis is VERY PAINFUL, please watch your dog's diet and WATCH THE FAT! We were giving him this spray stuff you put in the Kong (liver or peanut butter flavor.) When I read the fat content, I was shocked. Add that to the occassional french fries they shared with me-----and I found out I was a BAD Pugmom! Now he only gets his special doggy food and an occassional low fat dog treat. He did get a few bites of turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas.:)

#14 · (Edited)
It just so happens I went to the vet with my two today for their annuals. All shots for both, fecals, check-up $244.

A little info: Scottie, 9-1/2 yrs 26 lbs, Standard Poodle, 5 yrs, 60lbs.

As to health BOTH have spay incontinence cured 100% by daily Pro-In tabs. Both on monthly heartworm - Revolution - costs about $150 for 6 mos for both dogs. They have not had a heartworm blood tests since they were puppies since they have always been on year-round preventative (our indoor cats are too BTW). We did get full baseline bloodwork done when they were spayed. They also get Parvo and Bordatella Boosters every 6 mos here - both are rampant in our warm climate. Neither have ever been sick, neither have any health issues except the Scottie has a couple of fatty tumours (benign) neither really growing much or impeding her in any way. We feed only high quality (Royal Canin Med Special) dry food and have lots of chewies and toys so happily neither dog has never even needed a single teeth cleaning.

Our vet is one of the best and cheapest in our area. Something I look for with vets is I prefer if the vet (or vets) own the clinic and don't just work there. That way THEY decide the fees and can help people out if they decide to. Also you see the same vet every time and that person knows you, your pets and their history - I will not go to a place where you see whoever happens to be there that day. Plus, if the vet owns the clinic, he isn't gonna up and quit and leave you with someone new without notice. Lots of turnover at a lot if the "corporate" clinics here plus they always soak you for every possible "extra" like un-needed teeth cleanings, blood work, shots, on and on. Their biggest profit margin is in the extra stuff - foods, treatments, labs, dental, etc and they are constantly pushing that stuff at you like a bad car salesman. And they make you feel guilty - like you are a bad person - if you don't buy it all, do it all. Don't get taken advantage of - some of them are pretty much shysters in white coats and sadly, with a lot of them, the vet care itself is substandard. Any vet who wants to use anesthesia without a VERY good reason isn't a good vet. The good ones use it only if it is the ONLY way because animals die under anesthesia and a good vet will weigh the chances for a positive outcome with THAT risk very carefully.

I would ask around - neighbors, friends, people you know well and know are good long-term pet parents are your BEST source for a referral. Mr Tango has sent so many people he works with to our wonderful Vet and they all RAVE. SO happy to have found him after getting ripped off elsewhere and how much BETTER their critter has been with HIS care. THAT is the kind of vet you are looking for. And for sure make sure your old vet can forward any records too - avoids a repeat of some tests and expense when starting at a new vet.

And a last note - pets can be titered for ALL illnesses that you vacinate for to avoid giving shots they don't need because they have already acquired sufficient immunity levels. For instance, once they reach 5 years of age with annual shots, most indoor only cats do not need annual vaccines for ANYTHING. Ask your vet!

PS - our Vet (Dr David Carlton) is also an author - here's his web site: http://dallasdoc.net/

#16 ·
Tango, isn't Revolution the flea prevention liquid? Heartguard is the heartworm prevention med that my dogs and cats take.

#17 ·
ann54 said:
Tango, isn't Revolution the flea prevention liquid? Heartguard is the heartworm prevention med that my dogs and cats take.
Revolution (selamectin) kills Heartworms, Fleas, Mites and Intestinal Worms (except tapes). It goes on monthly - kills EVERYTHING! They also have a version for Cats - which kills heartworms in them as well (yes, cats can get them) but in cats you do not have to test first - just give use Revolution. We use it year-round on all our "furry herd".

http://www.revolution4dogs.com/content.asp?country=US&lang=EN&drug=RV&species=CN&sec=100

#18 ·
Since we have six large dogs...

We're at the vets about every week and a half if you don't consider the rescue's dogs. Three of our six pups are special needs dogs and are on daily medications. Two of those I get in two week supplies. So It's rather common to see me around the vet's office.

The special needs guys get a semi-annual blood work tests, and a general 'once-over'.

Alll of the boys, barring any dificulties, they make yearly exams. They get their DHLPP and their Bordetella boosters. Every third year they get their rabies vacinations.

All of the boys are on monthly Frontline Plus, and also monthly Heartguard Plus.

You really don't want to know I spend annualy on vet care... :-o

#19 ·
tango said:
Revolution (selamectin) kills Heartworms, Fleas, Mites and Intestinal Worms (except tapes). It goes on monthly - kills EVERYTHING! They also have a version for Cats - which kills heartworms in them as well (yes, cats can get them) but in cats you do not have to test first - just give use Revolution. We use it year-round on all our "furry herd".

http://www.revolution4dogs.com/content.asp?country=US&lang=EN&drug=RV&species=CN&sec=100

Thanks for the info. My babies are on Heartgard and I use Revolution every month. Think it is too much heart worm medication? My vet has them on both.

#21 ·
ann54 said:
Thanks for the info. My babies are on Heartgard and I use Revolution every month. Think it is too much heart worm medication? My vet has them on both.
I sure wouldn't give mine both - they only need the Revolution. Just make sure it's selamectin and that's all you need to use, once a month, year-round. Plus - you're spending money you don't need to spend. I will ask my vet tomorrow but I would think it's WAY overkill to do both every month. I cannot imagine a vet prescribing BOTH??? Maybe he forgot he gave you both or something??? Heartworms are BAD here and we only use the Revolution and have since it came out. Used the Heartguard before... everybody we know here uses Revolution exclusively.

#23 ·
Trips to the vet

I have three show dogs. I give my own annual shots except Rabies. I have at least one dog see the vet once a year. I use a vet that is very familiar with show dogs and show dog people. I keep antibiotics, Pain killers, and various other meds on hand as if I am on the road at a dog show and something happens, I have the meds to start treatment right away. When we go to the vet, I always refill my prescriptions for antibiotics and pain killers. As for Heart worm meds, and flea meds, I order mine on line for better prices. I use Heart guard plus for heart worms and I use Front line plus for fleas and ticks. We use this all year round.

I will take a dog to the vet for any problem I cant fix myself or if they are getting ready to whelp for an xray or ultrasound. That way I know how many puppies to expect. And all puppies go to the vet for health certificates, microchips, and first shots before they go to their new owners. Puppies are started on heart worm preventive before they leave as well.

#24 ·
i get postcard reminders in the mail telling me it's time for a visit for one of my three animals...then i make the appointment and take with me the said animal.
then i pay with my credit card...and i don't look at how much it costs. but the animals are my little family.
i enjoy my vet too, she is very helpful and personable. one of my cats has started to pee in places she shouldn't and it was decided that she does not have a UTI. so...i now have a cat that is taking paxil. the irony there just kills me, i am a mental health counselor and i have a cat on paxil:rolleyes:

#25 ·
I order mine on line for better prices.
we use heartguard plus and frontline plus also. do you have a reputable supplier?

i will now be taking Tennessee to a vet clinic that we trust. they are a 45 minute drive, but i have better faith in them. the explanation of costs from the other vet was that they don't have a clientele base large enough to drop prices. i wonder why. the costs at the clinic are better than half off of the vet prices.

#26 ·
Blue Cow Dog- Sounds like our house... We keep all the usual meds at home as well. After 13 years at the same vet he pretty much gives me anything I request - he knows I can handle most things at home if I need to. One of our cats is 22. So in our cabinet we have pain meds - stomach meds - allergy meds - antibiotics (3 kinds), prednisone, ear wash and several kinds of bandages, ointments and sprays. It takes up an entire kitchen cabinet but we do have 5 furry kids. AND...the turtle and fish stuff is elsewhere - that's another cabinet :D I tell people the fur-kids are better prepared for an emergency than WE are.

When I lived in the country I did the shots too but my vet charges me so little (and I am in there for meds at least once a month) and he is so close (within walking distance) I don't do that any more. I hand out enough pills every day as it is.... Plus we don't do babies - nobody here is reproducing unless you count turtles, LOL. Although our two are pure-breds I insist on a spay contract - leave the puppy making to people like you who are experts at it. Our Scottie is 10 this year so we are thinking of getting another - or a rescue - in the next couple of years. My house hasn't been without a Scottie in 25 years, I don't think I can function without one in residence.

Our critters are our children (we don't have any real kids) and we treat them very well. I say they are spoiled but only in the "good" ways like care and feeding and attention. Shoot - we have a zoo so we have someone come and LIVE at our house when we are gone. I cannot imagine living in a house without pets and as long as I can take care of them I will have my critters. In fact one day I hope to have room for MORE! I guess at that point I might as well just HIRE a vet full time - it would be cheaper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.