Honda Element Owners Club banner

Auto Show winners and losers

898 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ApriliaGuy 
#1 ·
A buddy and I just finished our annual trip to the 2007 Car Show in Fort Worth. We sit in practically every one there. It is a great way to compare style, fit, finish and ergonomics. As well as to see what "x" amount of $$ buys these days. It was doing this at the car show that I first noticed and fell for the Element in 2003 and that helped me consider it and get on in 2005. Now he is close to getting something. By the way I am 6'4" 210 lbs and he is 5'10" and 260 lbs so finding something we both fit and like aint easy. Here are some thoughts on various model highs and lows.

Element
Only one here and an SC to boot. Uggh, what a horrible trim level. Maybe the boy racer crowd likes this but it sure has lost alot of what made the Element cool to me. Wish Honda had brought an LX to showcase the utility and functionality of the E.

Suzuki SX4
The "WOW" car of the show. It was really awesome! Great ergonomics, nice interior, AWD, 4 doors, 140hp, stadium rear seats, and just $16k! Sits alot like a Subaru, not low like a car but not high like a truck. Not much storage but had a roof rack. Looked cool too, different than anything else-kinda what a Mini Cooper crossover SUV might be. We went back and looked at it three times and we both really liked it. It shows what good style and attention to fit and finish can do in an affordable car. This car "wow'd" us like the Element did in 2003. My buddy is doing a test drive after work Monday.

VW Rabbit
Another inexpensive car that had great fit and finish, those Germans do good interiors.

Nissan Versa
This was pretty neat too, but we liked the SX4 better. This was more of a station wagon, the SX4 is more of the crossover. The interior was decent and seats comfy.

Honda Fit
Another nice small car, but definitely a car. If you need mpg get this. The Nissan Versa seemed roomier and the SX4 was cooler.

Jeep Wrangler 4 Door
Way cool, Jeep should have done this years ago. Too pricey but you are buying it for off roading not comfort.

Jeep Patriot and Compass
Too small, cramped driver area, cheapy looking interiors, not enough headroom. Inferior product like this is why Chrysler is failing. Very disappointed as the Patriot looks cool in pictures but is bad in person. Liberty seems a much better vehicle in comparison.

Toyota FJ Cruiser
Too cramped, massive blindspots, no rearseat room. Not only is it retro style it is retro bad on features. Sitting in one took away any desire to ever drive it.

Toyota RAV 4
Ok, but I think I like the old one better.

Toyota Tundra
Sat in the double crew cab. Wow was it roomy but the interior plastics looked GM cheap. So not as good as it should have been.

Chevy Full Size Pickup
Cruddy interior plastics here too. Disappointed that this was Motor Trends TOTY.

GMC Acadia
Nice style but at $42,000 WAAAAYYYYYY overpriced.

Ford Edge
Looked good. If Ford could market this could sell well.

Kia Rondo
Not half bad but was more "van-ish" than SUV. The sticker was like $24,000 which I thought was too high.

Hyundai Tuscon
Weak interior but decent exterior. Nice warranty.

Suzuki Grand Vitara
Not bad. Decent styling and price. Seemed comfy. However, the SX4 had more of a wow factor and was cheaper.

Scion XB and XA
None of the new ones here, just the older XA and XB. Not bad from an economy standpoint but the guages in the center of the car always ruined it for me.

Honda CRV
OK, but not as cool as it used to be.

Honda Civic
I think the interior is a huge mistake. The double dash is bad. The car is too cramped. Miss the simple bigger cabin and simple guages of the old one.

Honda Pilot
Still the best bigger SUV from a ergonomic and interior styling standpoint. Great driver room. A real winner. If I ever replaced my E with a bigger vehicle-this would be it.

Checking out all these made me love my 2005 Element even more. It is roomy, comfy, great simple analog guages, great utility and for being an all plastic imterior has better fit, finish and quality of plastics than most other vehicles. Without a doubt I would buy it exactly like it is again.

Now if I was shopping for an inexpensive crossover type vehicle the Suzuki SX4 would top my list. We were both very impressed and it had a certain cool. Check 'em out.

See less See more
#2 ·
jedi said:
Honda Civic
I think the interior is a huge mistake. The double dash is bad. The car is too cramped. Miss the simple bigger cabin and simple guages of the old one.
We have both an 06 civic ex sedan w/Navi and an 06 Element EX-P AWD. Apparently Toyota saw the new Civic as a big hit as it forced them to do a last minute emergency redesign of the up coming Corolla. I personally like the interior of the Civic and the 2 tier dash is a vast improvement over anything that is out there. Initially I was sceptical but after driving it for a day, the ease of reading the dash outways the funkey-ness of it. The 06 has been the big hit that Honda was hoping for unlike the previous, boring generation that lost many buyers to other brands and was universally lambasted by the media.

I agree with the rest of your review and that new SX4 is pretty cool looking for the price. I have seen several on the roads in Orlando ..probably rentals

#3 · (Edited)
jedi said:
Suzuki SX4
The "WOW" car of the show. It was really awesome! Great ergonomics, nice interior, AWD, 4 doors, 140hp, stadium rear seats, and just $16k! Sits alot like a Subaru, not low like a car but not high like a truck. Not much storage but had a roof rack. Looked cool too, different than anything else-kinda what a Mini Cooper crossover SUV might be. We went back and looked at it three times and we both really liked it. It shows what good style and attention to fit and finish can do in an affordable car. This car "wow'd" us like the Element did in 2003......Now if I was shopping for an inexpensive crossover type vehicle the Suzuki SX4 would top my list. We were both very impressed and it had a certain cool.
I liked it alot too. It is smaller than the E....but I'd still consider it if buying today....despite the fact I liked the E 'cause it is so roomy. I looked at the Suzy Areo back when.....the SX4 is a major improvement and the price stayed about the same.

Toyota Tundra
Sat in the double crew cab. Wow was it roomy but the interior plastics looked GM cheap. So not as good as it should have been.
Very cheepy plasticy looking.... I agree. I expected alot more from Toyota. The Nissan Titan was better and costs less. Worse yet... it didn't even seem all that roomy to me. But then I drive a fullsize Dodge and Ford Superduty for work.

GMC Acadia
Nice style but at $42,000 WAAAAYYYYYY overpriced.
The Buick twin looked a little more "unique."

Ford Edge
Looked good. If Ford could market this could sell well.
Waaaaay to expensive.

Suzuki Grand Vitara
Not bad. Decent styling and price. ......
The Grand Vitara was ok.....but I didn't like the XL7....it is no better than its Chevy Equniox twin.

Honda Pilot
Still the best bigger SUV from a ergonomic and interior styling standpoint. Great driver room. A real winner. If I ever replaced my E with a bigger vehicle-this would be it.
Me too.

Checking out all these made me love my 2005 Element even more. It is roomy, comfy, great simple analog guages, great utility and for being an all plastic imterior has better fit, finish and quality of plastics than most other vehicles. Without a doubt I would buy it exactly like it is again.
I couldn't agree more.....except a diesel and/or off-road package would be nice.

Will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.