Dealer says no mp3 player in EX???? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Dealer says no mp3 player in EX????

ericcopen
07-22-2003, 09:20 AM
I just bought my Shoreline EX manual - love it :) - however, the factory mp3 player I already PAID FOR, is now apparently "unavailable for the EX model." :x Is my dealer trying to pull the wool over my eyes, or is there some reason mp3 players aren't available in the EX model?

They offered me a refund, but it's not about the money. I ordered this thing three weeks ago with the player, and they waited until after I took the Honda survey thing to break the news to me. I'm wondering if they knew all along and didn't tell me so their "scores" weren't hurt. So pissed.

Please let me know if they're lying or if you've had a similar experience and resolved it somehow.

Thanks,
Eric

eMass
07-22-2003, 09:42 AM
There is no MP3 player for the EX.

There is an aux jack where you can plug in your own mp3 player.

The EX has a double DIN radio pre installed so there is no space to install the single DIN MP3 player as well.

The DX has a no radio installed but if you want one from Honda it is single DIN leaving the other DIN slot available for the Honda single DIN MP3 player.

My recommendation to you would be to have the standard EX stereo replaced with an aftermarket head unit that can play MP3 CD's. It will cost about as much and will sound a whole lot better especially if you also get some replacement door speakers as well.

Or, you could always go out and buy an external MP3 player and plug it into the AUX jack.

ericcopen
07-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the info. Good to see there is a legitimate reason...

Now, what to spend the money on...

I'm having trouble deciding between a head unit and an external. I have a burner so a head unit may work best for me... easier to control while driving, right?

Any suggestions for units 300-400 and where to get them specifically (best buy, circuit city, etc.)

eMass
07-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Ya, that's a hard decision - I'd personally go for the in-dash only because it then becomes the building block for other mods in case you ever want to do more for your stereo system - but an iPod or Archos AV300 are pretty sweet items too.

You'll want to read through some of the posts in the Element Audio FAQ here:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20847#20847

Pay particular attention to numbers 1, 2, 3, & 9. Those should answer most of your questions but if they don't please feel free to keep asking until you're satisfied. :D

ericcopen
07-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your help! Wow, there is a ton of information on this site. Glad to be part of the "club."

Peace,
E.

isketerol
07-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Your dealer probably did not try to mislead you. Many of the dealers are woefully uneducated about the "E". In part, it's a new model in the Honda lineup, in part salesmen do not tend to know feature sets very well.

Glad to have you aboard.

ericcopen
07-23-2003, 02:41 PM
Just to follow-up:

I went with the Pioneer 5505MF (or something like that) head unit. Cost about 250 at Circuit City, installation & parts 100. Sounds pretty good, but I don't think they connected it with the subwoofer. I'm going to drive back to Circuit City after work and see if they can fix it.

Oh - the dealership is giving me a refund and a $50 gift certificate for service. I'm actually pretty happy about the whole situation because I save money, get a better system, and still have my factory head unit to sell on ebay. Guess there's a happy ending.

PEACE,
E.

eMass
07-23-2003, 03:52 PM
That unit has 2 sets of rca pre-outs that you can use for front and rear sets of speakers or front and subs. I don't think you can run front, rear, and sub with that unit.

It does have an aux mode though so they can hook up the aux plug in your dash.

D.

yelapa
07-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Hi Eric,

Why not just get an iPod (or another brand) and use the AUX jack. That way you have something you can take with you as well. I used to have CD's stashed all over the place. With our E, I have yet to use the CD player except to make sure it worked on the first night we brought our new E home.

Incidentally, how would the Honda mp3 player acquire music. Is there a memory card or something like that?

yelapa

eMass
07-23-2003, 05:20 PM
[quote:61c9959b04="yelapa"]Hi Eric,

Why not just get an iPod (or another brand) and use the AUX jack. That way you have something you can take with you as well. I used to have CD's stashed all over the place. With our E, I have yet to use the CD player except to make sure it worked on the first night we brought our new E home.

Incidentally, how would the Honda mp3 player acquire music. Is there a memory card or something like that?

yelapa[/quote:61c9959b04]

Yelapa: we've covered the ipod vs. in-dash above. Eric chose the in-dash option.

On the honda mp3 player - it's a single disc CD player that reads mp3's and wma's.

ericcopen
07-24-2003, 09:10 AM
I went back to CC, and they were able to hook up the subwoofer by splicing into another line. Now I have front, rear, and sub all working! Yay! Downloaded some 50 cent last night and it's sounding tight!

I choose the head unit so I could play my mp3 data cds. I already had like 15 just for back up to my pc. And it's easier to use while driving than an ipod. either way sounds like a good option, however.

Now i"m getting worried though, because kazaa has mostly corrupt files now... need an alternative site... anybody know a good place to download from?

MiamiElement
07-24-2003, 11:33 AM
You can choose to actually pay for what you want.

ShaneS
08-07-2003, 06:40 PM
I use WinMX, The client sw is a small download and I never had any problems as of yet and I'm an MP3 ***** myself.

Now i"m getting worried though, because kazaa has mostly corrupt files now... need an alternative site... anybody know a good place to download from?[/quote]