White Mist from the AC Vents???? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: White Mist from the AC Vents????

MrCLoWnY
07-22-2003, 08:10 PM
I was driving today and white mist shot out from the vents... I thought it was smoke at first but once it cleared there was moisture on the vents... I tried to smell it to see what it can be and it was odorloess. i don't think it was water. What is this? I popped the Hood and didn't notice anything.... Can someone tell me why this happened? By the way the ac was on and it was on refresh mode..... Not Recirc... Should I take it to the dealer and have it checked out???????

Sheniferous
07-22-2003, 08:13 PM
[quote:0d204852c1="MrCLoWnY"]I was driving today and white mist shot out from the vents... I thought it was smoke at first but once it cleared there was moisture on the vents... I tried to smell it to see what it can be and it was odorloess. i don't think it was water. What is this? I popped the Hood and didn't notice anything.... Can someone tell me why this happened? By the way the ac was on and it was on refresh mode..... Not Recirc... Should I take it to the dealer and have it checked out???????[/quote:0d204852c1]

it started happening to my 91 accord, about a year ago. didn't think too much about it. if it concerns you... take it to you dealer maybe?

MrCLoWnY
07-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Do you know what it can be though??? This never happened before and I never heard of this happening to anyone......

ERider
07-22-2003, 09:36 PM
I had the same thing with my Integra, Del Sol and my "E". Nothing to worry about. You have your AC on high and it's very humid out. When the warm moist air is run throught the AC system it's creating a mini cloud. All that really means is that your AC is funtioning extremly well. You'll probably never see it on anything BUT a Honda product...

yelapa
07-22-2003, 09:51 PM
It's like contrails from the neck snapping acceleration, dude!....Just kidding. It is the great Honda AC compressor vs. high ambient humidity. Be thankful.

yelapa

hunterbase
07-22-2003, 10:56 PM
It's true, I've only ever seen it in an Acura Legend. Oh and occasionally in cars right after the AC is turned off.

MrCLoWnY
07-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Good. I guess i have nothing to worry about,.. thanks for the info...

Slowhand
07-23-2003, 06:24 AM
I've had this happen on different makes in the past.

dwcbuckeye
07-23-2003, 08:37 AM
Ran out of AC apparently. I would ask the dealer.

meanelvis
07-23-2003, 01:11 PM
i had this happen on my 86 ford taurus, but when the heat was turned on.

the smoke had a sweet smell, and coated the inside of the windows with a grease-like consistency.

turned out that the heating coil had broken, and engine coolant was burning up and entering my vents. fun stuff!

moral of the story: buy honda :)

MrCLoWnY
07-23-2003, 03:11 PM
My AC still works well.... SHould I still take it into the dealer?

sean010101
07-23-2003, 03:31 PM
I was in a commercial airplane once and landed in haiti, after the doors were open all this white mist started pouring out of the vents in the celling(very scary looking). The stuwartess said it happens all the time because of the heat / moisture rapidly coming in...

MrCLoWnY
07-23-2003, 08:33 PM
I noticed the moisture again today. I guess i just never noticed it..... Im not going to worry unless something doesn't work right.. I mean I only 3000 miles and the warranty will be there for me for a while....

Kayakin' Dan
07-23-2003, 11:28 PM
It's condensation! A normal occurence when it's real hot and muggy! Kinda like the little puddle under your car in the summertime!

Drew
07-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Yes, it's just condesation. Basically you've got a cold blast hitting moist air in the car interior and converting it to water vapor. It's the same thing that happens when you open a cold freezer in the summer and mist comes out... just the water in the air getting condensed. It'll happen in any car if the air is moist enough when the AC is turned on.

Einstein
07-24-2003, 07:16 PM
It's just water vapor.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled life :wink:

bayani
07-25-2003, 12:00 PM
:shock: golly gee wilikers Batman... It's poison gas!!!

:| Quick Robin... out of the bat mobile!!!

Nothing to worry about. This is condensation in the AC. Kinda like a humidifier...

MrCLoWnY
07-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Thank you all for your reassurance... i jsut never had this happen to me before......

eMass
07-25-2003, 02:32 PM
White mist? That's ANTHRAX buddy!

j/k :lol:

Slowhand
07-26-2003, 07:08 AM
[quote:ec74c913e8="eMass"]White mist? That's ANTHRAX buddy!

j/k :lol:[/quote:ec74c913e8]
Going a bit off topic, but on my way to a tour in Washington DC (of XM radio headquarters, BTW), I passed right by the "Brentwood" Post office and said to myself, "That sounds familiar..." and then realized it was the Post Office shut down because of Anthrax.

E-Rich
07-26-2003, 05:02 PM
[quote:3c074701c1="MrCLoWnY"]I was driving today and white mist shot out from the vents... I thought it was smoke at first but once it cleared there was moisture on the vents... I tried to smell it to see what it can be and it was odorloess. i don't think it was water. What is this? I popped the Hood and didn't notice anything.... Can someone tell me why this happened? By the way the ac was on and it was on refresh mode..... Not Recirc... Should I take it to the dealer and have it checked out???????[/quote:3c074701c1]

This is why people should put their location in their signature. Where are you from? Somewhere humid? Alaska, Hawaii??? Might be a clue.

MrCLoWnY
07-26-2003, 05:22 PM
I reside in LA...... However, the day this happened it was very very humid....

E-Rich
07-26-2003, 05:30 PM
[quote:484ade4e43="MrCLoWnY"]I reside in LA...... However, the day this happened it was very very humid....[/quote:484ade4e43]

LA as in SoCal or as in Louisiana? Big difference. I am in SoCal and while it has been very hot, I haven't seen any mist. It is a great a/c. I'm cooler in my E than in my house with the a/c.

TheLusciousHellcat
07-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Remember that cold air is dry air and hot air can and does carry more moisture. Your AC system trapped some hot moist air and chilled/condensed it producing a very fine ice/mist/fog. Water vapor from jet engines does the same thing in the colder upper atmosphere. Thus: con trails.

When it's humid out, this can happen. It's absolutely harmless. If it bothers you, switch to recirculate.

E-Rich
07-26-2003, 06:36 PM
[quote:b942f5c204="TheLusciousHellcat"]Remember that cold air is dry air and hot air can and does carry more moisture.[/quote:b942f5c204]

Yes, and dogs are boys and cats are girls. lol. It's the humidity that makes the difference. Or maybe he hosed out his E like the early promos said you could. 8)

TheLusciousHellcat
07-26-2003, 06:46 PM
If it were cold and humid he wouldn't have the A/C on, I think, thus the temperature is a factor in this phenomenon.

If I'm scientifically wrong on how much moisture content is in cold v. hot air, then I am, but that's how it was explained to me.

E-Rich
07-26-2003, 06:54 PM
[quote:6147c43207="TheLusciousHellcat"]If it were cold and humid he wouldn't have the A/C on, I think, thus the temperature is a factor in this phenomenon.

If I'm scientifically wrong on how much moisture content is in cold v. hot air, then I am, but that's how it was explained to me.[/quote:6147c43207]

You're right, it's not really a hot vs. cold day question. It's hot with humidity vs. dry heat. I have lived in both types and believe me there is a difference. As we all know the a/c takes the humidity out the air as it cools it, thus the water dripping underneath the car. In a exceptionally humid area it's possible the a/c couldn't keep up, thus the misting from the vents. However, it's also possible that his a/c evap water drain may be blocked. That would keep the water in the car longer and might result in the misting. Since he said he is in Los Angeles, I am surprised that humidity would cause it. I have been driving around LA for the last 3 weeks with max on. No such thing happened. If this were Florida, I would expect it.

TheLusciousHellcat
07-26-2003, 07:03 PM
The moral of this story is: if you get con trails in your car, make sure the evaporation drain hasn't been blocked somehow. I suppose the telltale dripping underneath the car would be a sign that it was working properly.

As for heat, you've been having a heat wave out in LA haven't you? That's nasty. But I have to guess that it's a dry heat. Here in Dallas, we get fairly humid. Not as humid as Houston, but then your basic steam bath is not as humid as Houston.

Surprising to me: I was in Seattle last week and it didn't feel that humid at all. Natives were bemoaning the 'heat'. I couldn't help it - I giggled.

E-Rich
07-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Yes, it's been quite hot in SoCal, and yes it's mostly dry heat. Not as dry as Southwest Texas (where I lived as a youth). But, not as humid as say Hawaii, Guam, or, I guess, Houston.

Hey, maybe we could plug the a/c water drains on purpose and have a steambath. Of course it would still cold. brrrrr

Einstein
07-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Wait a minute!

This stuff looks an awful lot like that stuff that comes out of the vents in Star Trek and makes everybody pass out!

TheLusciousHellcat
07-26-2003, 11:12 PM
At least it's not green alien-hybrid blood that makes your eyes and sinuses boil when you're exposed to it.

</X-Files>

:wink:

anasazi68
07-27-2003, 08:00 AM
I have seen this from several of my own vehicles and heard a call on a Radio callin show dedicated to car repair. It is due to the humidity and cold air condensing the water vapor. I have also had this happen when my AC seals went out on a Toyota. When the seals Failed there was an unusual smell. so I would not be very concerned.

airforcepinoy
07-29-2003, 12:53 AM
DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT THE WHITE MIST.

IT COMES FROM THE OUTSIDE. IT HAPPENS WHEN ITS REALLY HOT OUTSIDE. IT HAPPENED TO ME THIS WEEKEND TAKING IT TO THE BEACH.
ROLLED MY WINDOW DOWN FOR ONLY A MINUTE WHILE A/C WAS RUNNING AND CLOSED IT AND SAW THE WHITE MIST. WAS WORRIED BUT REALIZED IT CAME FROM THE HUMIDITY OUTSIDE.

NO WORRY..ELEMENT IS OK. :wink:

tblask
07-29-2003, 01:45 AM
Every time I rode a plane in China in the summer, during takeoff prep
the cabin always, unvaryingly filled fast with this same CONDENSATION to near White-Out conditions, visibility one foot...

Every time we have a 'thermal gradient' across two different
TEMP / HUMIDITY conditions - across a BARRIER, well, on the cool side moist air is what you get and which in this case is made into fog > Condensate made visible > mist, maybe hail, even snow is part of the same process; you might even have a moist house, or the inside area of
boat hulls.....

Rapid heating and rapid cooling can provide lots of benefits and sometimes create strange phenomena, as in this case of White-Out
in your Element.

Cheers, tblask galagreenbullpup beepbeep

randywoo
07-29-2003, 06:30 AM
My wife commented that it seemed as if my air was not working as well. When I sat at a stoplight and then took off, the temperature of the air coming out of the vents dropped to almost warm and then picked up again to a cool breeze as I got going. Any thoughts?

MikeQBF
09-10-2003, 01:59 AM
All three Hondas I had before also did this white mist thing. I've never seen it happen in any other make. Very strange, and obviously peculiar to the design philosophy. I wouldn't worry about it.

rjm161
09-10-2003, 08:44 AM
[quote:cae9b53f47="randywoo"]My wife commented that it seemed as if my air was not working as well. When I sat at a stoplight and then took off, the temperature of the air coming out of the vents dropped to almost warm and then picked up again to a cool breeze as I got going. Any thoughts?[/quote:cae9b53f47]

The compressor probably just shut off and came back on. Did you have it on fresh rather than recirculate? I always notice my 4 Cylinder Honda HVACs blow harder when the revs raise...it was probably just a combination of the compressor kicking back in and the revs raising that caused it to go back to cold.

I am guessing it was a very hot (and humid) day and you didn't have it on recirculate. Perhaps you hadn't been out for long...or hadn't had that A/C on for long.

If none of that is true, it may be worth checking out if it keeps up.

froggyac
09-15-2003, 11:58 PM
I am glad I am not the only one concerned about the white mist.. I got a little freaked out when i saw it shooting out at me, thought I was breathing in the coolant. This only happens to me when I have my dial set to the Windshield and bottom vent setting. Paranoid as I am, when I got my first oil change I asked the dealer shop to check it out.. and like you all said.. it's just condensation.

I still think it's lot cooler when I turn the dial to that setting.

Alien Element
09-16-2003, 06:35 PM
You are all wrong... It's left over residue from one of the cocaine bricks that broke in shipment from overseas. Smugglers hide the bricks inside the AC units before they are shipped out of Japan. Once they clear U.S. Customs, the bricks are removed and the parts are sent on to Honda.

When one of those bricks break open, the cocaine residue seeps into every nook inside the the part. It could be sometime before it all blows out. In the meantime, just stick your face into the white fog and inhale through the nose!

*Disclaimer: This is merely a joke and not meant to condone drug use. Actual effects of breathing in the substance emitting from the vents is unknown. Moving your head into a position where you cannot see the road is not advised while operating a motor vehicle. If you feel uncontrollably compelled to sniff the emission, please pull to the side of the road.

Cloak
09-18-2003, 09:32 AM
I guess that explains why that DEA truck was following me...

HansBlix
09-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Could be a head gasket. Get to the dealer ASAP.

macphail
12-14-2003, 10:01 PM
[quote:b1831f78e8=" "]it started happening to my 91 accord, about a year ago. didn't think too much about it. if it concerns you... take it to you dealer maybe?[/quote:b1831f78e8]

Same thing happened to our '90 Accord. Crank the tunes and think of it as a really cool rock show with dry ice! ;)

Cheers, Derek

Alheim
12-16-2003, 10:46 AM
heh, mini cloud

okiegirl
12-17-2003, 09:13 PM
When that happened to us driving through Florida i almost peed my pants i was so freaked out that something was wrong :shock: Never fear...it is just condensation from the cooling coils. :lol: hank goodness