Great info, few more questions. [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Great info, few more questions.

ElementMaybe
07-30-2003, 06:12 PM
All,

First off, I quickly found the answers to a lot of the questions I had. Great job on the boards. I am considering buying an Element. Currently I drive a VW GTI. It came with a "monsoon" sound system (Amp and descent speakers). I changed the head unit with a Kenwood (see below). The sound is pretty good. I would like a bit more, but I am happy with the quality I am getting from that.

The reason that I have a Kenwood is because it was one of the first mp3 head units. The AMP in the GTI is just being powered by the powered outputs on the head unit.

FYI. The GTI is for sale http://www.webgem.com/gti

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a sound system, but from what I am gathering, it looks like it would be new speakers and a head unit at least.

The thing is that I really want some sort of MP3 hard drive unit. I have narrowed it down to two options.
1) Kenwood music keg (and an better Kenwood head unit)
2) Alpine (or other such head unit) and a iPod (AUX input)

The trouble is that no one can give me an idea of what sound quality I would get from either of those. I know MP3's are not CD quality (I usually rip at 190 KB/s), but I listen mostly to electronica and the quality is close enough (especially for the interior of a car).

So back the Element related questions.
1) It sounds like there is no separate tweeters. Can someone confirm this?
2) I see two options for inputs to the stock amps. I am assuming that Pre-Outs would be the best way to go?
3) Compared to other cars, how is the interior of the E for sound quality (not the components, just the space).
4) Has anyone connected the AUX input to an aftermarket head unit (thinking iPod here)?
5) Is there a lot of rattling from door panels etc. with the stock sub/amp?

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST...

carman63
07-30-2003, 08:38 PM
I use my 20GB iPod almost exclusively for tunes. I rip at 128K and that's fine for me. I had the Monsoon system in my NB, and had the 6-CD changer in the hatch. I used a cassette adapter for my iPod - not bad, but could have been better.

In the Element EX, I use the AUX jack and it works very well. Matter of fact, I just returned from a 840-mile round-trip to NY and carried my iPod for the trip. The sound was pretty good - I turn the subwoofer up to +3 (from 'center') and leave the rest of the controls flat, except for fader (more to the front).

The stock system has room for improvement, mainly better speakers. BTW, the EX does come with tweeters up in the A pillars. If you wanted to move your Kenwood over, you could do that as well and use the stock amp and subwoofer (probably will need to add a sub control).

Oh, and no rattling! :)

sean010101
07-30-2003, 10:21 PM
dude whats wrong w/ the gti

ShaneS
07-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Dude, I like the dead pedal and pedal covers. I had the 337 pedal covers in my Jetta.

ElementMaybe
07-31-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the input. Definitely getting the answers here.

The GTI is great. I love that car. There is a few problems with it though. I am driving 45 minutes each way in traffic now. I have been experiencing a pain in my leg. I cant get into a good seating position in the GTI. Aside from that, I have a 2 year old and the GTI is not real kid friendly. She is usually in my wifes truck, but it would be nice to have a more kid/dog friendly car.

The Element also has a strange appeal to me. I think it would be a fun car and a lot less stressfully.

I am going to decide in the next few days if / what I will buy.