Factory Tire Tread Life? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Factory Tire Tread Life?

Element
07-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Is it rated at 30K, 40K, 50K miles?

I don't think the tires are good for 60K plus :roll:

Mark II
07-30-2003, 08:02 PM
I think you will be lucky to get much over 30K on the goodyear wranglers factory equipped or not.

Jud
07-30-2003, 08:28 PM
I've got 23000 miles on my 2 wheel drive, auto, DX. and don't think my tires will last more than 30k miles. I have just ordered Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S from Tire Rack as replacements. These are supposed to be 60000 mile tires. I have had good luck with their Avid Touring tires.

Dax
07-30-2003, 10:20 PM
I want to echo the last comment. Had a set of Yokohama Geolandars on my last 4 WD. They were excellent and lasted well beyond 45K (when I parted with the car).

yelapa
07-31-2003, 05:19 PM
The Goodyear Wrnalgers on mine show a mileage rating of "340" which is pretty good for what the industry calls a "baseline" or "medium priced" tire. If you keep the itres inflated (which 90% of us do not do) to max recommended pressure, I think you should get 30K from them and more if you are extra careful.

Personally, I look forward to abusing my tires so I have an excuse to get some better ones (just kidding, sort of) that much sooner.

yelapa

Element
07-31-2003, 05:23 PM
30K don't seem a whole lot. I guess after 2 years of driving, i have to replace those darn cheap tires Honda put on :roll:

reedpc
08-01-2003, 09:42 AM
[quote:097625f4df="Element"]30K don't seem a whole lot. I guess after 2 years of driving, i have to replace those darn cheap tires Honda put on :roll:[/quote:097625f4df]
I got, no kidding, 90,000 miles from one set of Michlins I had on my minivan. Since Michlin now has a tire for small SUVs, that will probably be my next set (can't justify the expense of tossing the factory set, sadly).

Element
08-01-2003, 03:48 PM
WOW :shock: you got 90K on a set of tires!

I agree, i would love to buy new set but i can't justify throwing the factory set out also :roll:

Nat
08-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Michelins will last a long time but suffer from dry rot. My wife's stock Accord Michelins had 60K miles with good tread. The side walls however were dry rotting. The higher the milage rating, the harder the tire = less wet and dry traction. I prefer a sporty wheel with a 50k guarantee.

NewEman
09-05-2003, 06:44 AM
I took my 4 week old E into Honda service for a simple minor adustment and pointed out my tires to the Honda tech. I showed him that the two tires in the front looked like they were wearing quickly. My car only has 2200 miles on it and there is side wear on the two front tires. The tech acknowleged the unusual wear and said to call Honda or take it in to a GoodYear shop.
I took the car to a GoodYear shop and had a manager come out and look at my car. He acknowleged the side wear on the front two tires and said that it couldn't be a defective tire. The front two tires are both wearing in the same fashion, just side wear. The back tires appear to be fine. He said to have Honda check out the alignment and for me to check the air pressure. He said to ask my dealer if they align the cars once they get them in their lot, or if the cars are just aligned in the factory. He said sometimes the alignment gets thrown out of whack while being tied down in transit on the trucks.
This is a little frustrating. My car's only a month old and no one seems like they are willing to get to the bottom of this. What a waste of time it is to keep running back and forth to my dealer. Anyone have any feedback to give me regarding this issue?

Honu
02-18-2004, 12:29 AM
I am almost looking forward to replacing the stock tires.
I am just too cheap to dump brand new tires.

I have used Geolanders on my 4wd nissan pickup. A "sticky", fast wearing, heavy (lowers gas mileage), but VERY tough tire. Pretty good for the money.

Avid touring went on my daughter's Camry. EXCELLENT tires and a major contender. Great snow/rain, long wearing tire of mid-upper pricey range.

What I REALLY hope are available are a discovery I made on my truck shortly before selling it to fund the Element purchase. Only tried it based on a few rave reviews....
Discount Tire's "store brand" Arizonian "Silver Edition" (NOT the cheaper model tire!!!) and get them siped. I put them on my truck, after the Geolanders that I thought were darn good. AMAZING. Light ended truck hooked up on ANYTHING. No more wet pavement spins in 2WD, stuck like crazy on high speed wet freeway and nice handling on dry("performance tire" folks have stopped reading by now anyway) Great as anything on ice and snow and actually improved my gas mileage a mpg or two. Rated for about 60K miles. AND CHEAP!!! you aren't paying for all the pricey advertising.

gotta go to the discount tires web site and see if they are available in element stock sizes...(I do hope so!)

YMMV

skijet
02-25-2004, 10:08 PM
I to have noticed the unbelievably sad wear time on the Goodyears they came with. Granted, these tires are just pure crap. I only have 7,000 miles on it and they're not all that far from the wear bars. I'll be very lucky to get 20,000. I think I'll end up goin to a Kelly AWR, or maybe stay a little less agressive, who knows.

alberta
02-29-2004, 02:20 PM
To balance out fast wear they should have good grip.

How were they this winter in snow and slush and ice?

If they are poor at both what would you buy as replacements??

jays0n
02-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I have seen people with these tires on many vehicles and they have always worn very fast, I had the famous exploding firestones on my rangers and explorer and easily got 70,000 out of them, and I was never "nice to them" as they say. I to am seeing more side wear than I expected so it's off to the dealer this week to see what they say, i have about 6800 miles at this point and expect my tires to look much better than they do.

skijet
03-01-2004, 09:05 AM
One thing that will help your wear is by checking the air pressure if you haven't yet. The dealers let em down to 20-25 so that they'll ride nice. However, this will pretty much destroy the time you have your tires. Just something to think about. Next I think I'm lookin at either some Kelly AWR's or else maybe Firestone's steeltex. Haven't decided yet. The goodyears on there didn't do to hot in the snow this yr so thats why.