Question about speaker sensitivity [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Question about speaker sensitivity

doofusdavid
08-01-2003, 01:17 PM
A bit of history: just bought my E three days ago, and am now broke. Also, have had car broken into a lot in the past, so I wanted to stay with the stock head unit for now. (getting a hard drive mp3 player sooner or later)

One of the first things I did when I got the E was to take the speakers out and replace them with the speakers from my old car. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what their specs were. They were 4 ohm, three way pioneers that I bought about three years ago. They aren't great, however, they are not made of paper, like the E speakers, so I figured they'd be better. They are.

However, I'm wondering how the whole speaker sensitivity thing works. I notice now that in order to get the stereo nice and loud I'm cranking the volume to right around 3/4 of the way to the top. I'm pretty sure the muddy E speakers got louder, faster than that. I'm wondering if this could just mean that the new speakers aren't as sensitive? Would this be possible? If so, I'll just throw speakers into the list of things I'm saving money for...

Note: I am in no way an audiophile or car stereo geek, I just like my music to be loud enough so that I can't hear myself warbling along to it...

Chip
08-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Paper cone speakers tend to be very sensitive, due to their light weight. The motor (magnet structure) doesn't have to push as much mass, therefore the increased sensitivity. Your Pioneer drivers are propably made of some type of plastic (polypropylene) and are thich and more dense, hence a lower sensitivity. Sensitivity is usually measured as the decible rating measeured at 1 meter with 1 watt input. You'll need at least 92 db sensitive speakers to allow the puny amp to do its thing.

doofusdavid
08-01-2003, 05:20 PM
Yep, it was a plastic-of-some-kind cone. I guess my next question is, is it at all harmful to my amp/speakers to drive them in this manner?

I will eventually replace the speakers, but I'd rather put it off for awhile...

eMass
08-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Check out the following tech articles. They cover your question in great detail...

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/speaker.htm
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/2ltlpwr.htm

doofusdavid
08-01-2003, 05:48 PM
[quote:a4899ca5af="eMass"]Check out the following tech articles.[/quote:a4899ca5af]
Perfect! Thanks! I'll keep them till I get more money!