Noise when Turning to the far right or left? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Noise when Turning to the far right or left?

badmire
04-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Any ideas?

I have a 2004 Honda Element EX with 54,000 miles. The car has been well taken care of but I am hearing a knocking noise when turning to the far left and right. There is no loss of power steering fluid. Does this mean my power steering pump is going bad? Does anyone else have this problem?

mid"E"
04-29-2007, 01:04 PM
It sounds like it's time for a rear differential fluid change.Search rear diff fluid.

RainDriver
04-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Knocking on tight turn is often CV joints, but jeepers at 54K, that is awfully early...unless your CV boots are shredded? Where is the sound, and does it change with your speed and/or rpms?

ApriliaGuy
04-30-2007, 07:36 AM
It sounds like it's time for a rear differential fluid change.Search rear diff fluid.

Yup.

Info here (http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29533).

Will

paulyofpa
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Is the noise coming from the front or rear?
If from the front and during turns you hear a Clock clock clock sound, probably a CVJ take a peek underneath for a torn boot on one of the outer joints...

hownowcb
04-30-2007, 06:20 PM
While paulofpa accurately addresses front-end noise questions, and his description of a bad CV joint noise is dead accurate as well, I've yet to read of anyone suffering failed CV joints, but have had people think the noise was coming from the front, yet it ended up being the rear differential fluid. I, too, vote for a fluid change. Had mine done today, actually, and the difference is unbelievable! :)

ramblerdan
04-30-2007, 06:49 PM
+1 for the strangeness of the apparent location of sounds. And for early fluid change.

I'd have guessed Hownow would try to set the record for most miles on factory dual-pump fluid ... everything else on his car seems to last forever!

plamlam
05-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Change the duel-pump fluid... That's the culprit 99% of the time. I did mine at 32-33k and it took all the knock and shake out of my turns. I can U-turn confidently again! WHOOT!

monza
05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
okay...i may totally be out of the ball park on this one, but i just had a similar knocking noise happen in my acura mdx. i know, different car similar problem, but it was especially happening when i was backing out of parking spots...the diagnosis was that clearnance was developing at the front suspension cradle. so they lowered the cradle and repaired the anchor bushings.

I keep all my cars (MDX, Nissan Altima, and my E) is great working order. I get all regular maintenance done, i check my tire pressure weekly, and i wash and clean my cars regularly. So, there was no real reason for this to happen, but it did.

Just another idea.

let me know what happens. thanks

The Rube
05-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Just recently I noticed a "rumbling" noise when I turn my wheel all the way to the right when parking in front of my town house. Its the only time it happens (probably cause that's the only time I turn my wheel all the way). I plan on making an appointment with the Honda dealer near my home. I just hope its nothing too complicated or expensive. I've got a little over 36K miles on my E.

Twilightzero
05-04-2007, 09:26 AM
That'll be that pesky rear differential fluid Rube, same exact thing happened in my old E, at about the same exact mileage. Good thing is it's cheap to get changed :-D

badmire
05-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Is the noise coming from the front or rear?
If from the front and during turns you hear a Clock clock clock sound, probably a CVJ take a peek underneath for a torn boot on one of the outer joints...

It is coming from the front and it happens when the wheel is turned to the far right or left.

badmire
05-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Knocking on tight turn is often CV joints, but jeepers at 54K, that is awfully early...unless your CV boots are shredded? Where is the sound, and does it change with your speed and/or rpms?
The sound comes from underneath up front and it occurs when the wheel is turned to the far right or left. It is speed dependent not rpm dependent.

badmire
05-05-2007, 09:57 AM
While paulofpa accurately addresses front-end noise questions, and his description of a bad CV joint noise is dead accurate as well, I've yet to read of anyone suffering failed CV joints, but have had people think the noise was coming from the front, yet it ended up being the rear differential fluid. I, too, vote for a fluid change. Had mine done today, actually, and the difference is unbelievable! :)
Thanks I'll have the rear diff fluid changed and have the CV joints looked at as well.

badmire
05-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Just recently I noticed a "rumbling" noise when I turn my wheel all the way to the right when parking in front of my town house. Its the only time it happens (probably cause that's the only time I turn my wheel all the way). I plan on making an appointment with the Honda dealer near my home. I just hope its nothing too complicated or expensive. I've got a little over 36K miles on my E.

Can you get back to me and let me know what your dealer told you? Does it also make this sound when turning all the way to the left?

badmire
05-05-2007, 10:02 AM
That'll be that pesky rear differential fluid Rube, same exact thing happened in my old E, at about the same exact mileage. Good thing is it's cheap to get changed :-D

Thanks for the info. I'll have it looked at!

hownowcb
05-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Some diagnosis tips for low-speed turning noises/vibration:

The rear differential is known to "eat" dual pump fluid. It's commonplace to require fluid replacement in the 30,000 mile range. The differential is bolted directly to the unibody, and because there aren't the typical bushings to isolate the noise at the rear suspension components, it's transmitted directly through the entire car body, leading many people to assume it's coming from the front, since the noise happens when turning. The noise is a shuddering, grinding sound, and is a low-speed vibration.

CV joints, on the other hand, will make a distinct click-clock sound in low speed turns when they fail. They will also typically transmit a matching twitching sensation through the steering wheel, or you will actually feel the inside tire trying to jump or skip through the turn.

Based on what I've read on this forum, CV joint failure is extremely rare, and when it does occur, it tends to happen at over 75,000 miles.

Dual pump fluid costs roughly $10 per quart, and requires 1.1, so you're stuck buying two. I just paid $50.00 in labor at an independent garage because I couldn't find the time to do it myself. This is significantly cheaper than having an unscrupulous mechanic convince you that you have bad CV joints, so I would always opt for a rear fluid change first. If it doesn't solve the problem, at least you know the differential is in top shape, and you can move up the ladder in diagnosis.

badmire
05-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks for your help and feedback. I will have this changed ASAP and get back to you.

badmire
05-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Change the duel-pump fluid... That's the culprit 99% of the time. I did mine at 32-33k and it took all the knock and shake out of my turns. I can U-turn confidently again! WHOOT!

Changing the fluid solved the problem! THANKS!

badmire
05-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Any ideas?

I have a 2004 Honda Element EX with 54,000 miles. The car has been well taken care of but I am hearing a knocking noise when turning to the far left and right. There is no loss of power steering fluid. Does this mean my power steering pump is going bad? Does anyone else have this problem?

I changed the rear diff fluid and WHAHOOO no more noise! Thanks! Now if I could just get better gas milage....

badmire
05-28-2007, 08:50 AM
+1 for the strangeness of the apparent location of sounds. And for early fluid change.

I'd have guessed Hownow would try to set the record for most miles on factory dual-pump fluid ... everything else on his car seems to last forever!

That was the issue thanks!

Hondamade4dogs
05-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Quit turning so far, any car will make that clicking sound when you crank the wheel that far.:-)

Twilightzero
05-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Quit turning so far, any car will make that clicking sound when you crank the wheel that far.:-)

It's not the power steering groan, it's a grinding sound from the rear. Trust me, you'll know when it happens to yours ;)

Hondamade4dogs
05-29-2007, 06:07 PM
The only groaning I hear is from Stacy, she is always making noise....:lol: