Pulls to the right when accellerating. What's the problem? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Pulls to the right when accellerating. What's the problem?

geauxpokes
05-11-2007, 07:16 AM
My SC tends to pull to the right while accelerating from a stop! The salesman said this will happen while being broke in. I have 1800 miles on it and it seems to be getting worse. Anybody else have this issue? On my way to the dealer next week.

bh241
05-11-2007, 07:20 AM
The salesman said this will happen while being broke in.

Well, if a salesman said it, then it must be the truth... :shock:

If it was me, I think I would be going a tad higher up in the food chain, that not only doesn't sound correct but it also doesn't sound safe.

mid"E"
05-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Do a search and you will find that the Element does exhibit some torque steer if you mash on the throttle,it is common.It is a peppy little i-vtec you have there.It should only do this when accelerating though,it should even out as you cruise along and should track straight.

bh241
05-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Do a search and you will find that the Element does exhibit some torque steer if you mash on the throttle,it is common.It is a peppy little i-vtec you have there.It should only do this when accelerating though,it should even out as you cruise along and should track straight.

I have never experienced any kind of 'pull' either left or right when accelerating my E. Is this something only experienced in the SC or is it more an issue when doing some kind of full throttle acceleration?

gisele
05-11-2007, 07:53 AM
I, too, have never experienced this...not when my E was new (11 miles on it when purchased) and not now at just under $24,000 miles. -g

gfxguy
05-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Many front wheel drives experience torque steer if you accelerate too quickly. What does too quickly mean? Depends on the car... some will be more susceptible than others. I've experienced it occasionally on the E and some previous cars... moreso with less traction. Might be improved with better tires and more moderate accelerations.

Also, just because many FWD cars experience it, that doesn't mean your problem isn't something else.

Torque Steering at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steer)

Bill in Houston
05-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Try it on a flat, high traction surface, like a concrete parking lot. If it still pulls, take it to the service department, 'cuz there's something wrong.

Dom.five
05-11-2007, 09:46 AM
I find that the 2WD exhibits the pull more than our 4WD's do. It's normal for the front wheel drives with open differentials. If it had a limited slip. or torque distributing type there would be much less pull to one side. If you are only seeing this when you accelerate briskly, then it's absolutely, completely normal.

If it happens in slow normal everyday starts in traffic, then go have it inspected!

Dom

spdrcr5
05-11-2007, 11:07 AM
this is completely normal. Just about any 2wd vehicle will exhibit some torque steer. The salesman was a dummy if he thinks this will go away. lol

Even the AWD Element will exhibit some torque steer if you accellerate quickly. You can even spin the front wheels on an AWD Element.

Bill in Houston
05-11-2007, 05:40 PM
yeah but because of the crown of the road, the torque steer is usually a pull to the left...

Locksmith
05-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Don't sweat it. Mine has done it from day one, still does at almost 140K mi. All 3 sets of tires have shown absolutely no abnormal or uneven wear.

Pierre

geauxpokes
05-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the info discussed here. I will be at the dealer next week! I understand some pull, but I think it is way too often.

Edpsx
05-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the info discussed here. I will be at the dealer next week! I understand some pull, but I think it is way too often.

Torque steer FTL!!! Its completely normal for ANY FWD car. The more power you give it, the more its going to do it w/o some sort or Limited Slip Differential or "positrac" for you american car nuts. The dealership isnt going to be able to do anything for you as my SC and probably every one they made will do it. Just hold on to the wheel tighter and you'll find it wont do it. ;)

And salesmen/women will tell you anything to get you to shutup and stop asking questions. Technically speaking, more than likely, they dont know jack.

pdivizzle0112
05-12-2007, 04:22 PM
when my brother let me drive his mini S, i revved it to 4500 at a light, smashed the gas, and boy, does that baby pull. it actually had alot of torque steer to the left. i think its normal on front drive vehicles with open diffs

Hondamade4dogs
05-12-2007, 05:39 PM
SLOW DOWN..Easy on the take off....Slow acceleration is all it needs

Ink Slinger
05-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I have eperienced a pulling sensation under hard acceleration from a stop, this is especially if a turn is involved with the acceleration. I had this happen to me just a couple of days ago. I could see where it could be dangerous if the driver isn't prepared for the pulling. The solution for me is to not accelerate too quickly from a stop. I experienced the same thing with my front wheel drive Turbo PT Cruiser.

kustomrydes
05-16-2007, 06:19 AM
I've noticed it as well on mine. But after driving my subaru impreza 2.5rs since 99, I assumed it must be the front wheel power doing it. Quite weird feeling actually having to grip the wheel if you mash the pedal.

Hondamade4dogs
05-16-2007, 06:53 AM
does it go eeeeeereeeescreeech and gravel fly in the air too ?:razz:

Edpsx
05-16-2007, 08:45 AM
I've noticed it as well on mine. But after driving my subaru impreza 2.5rs since 99, I assumed it must be the front wheel power doing it. Quite weird feeling actually having to grip the wheel if you mash the pedal.

I swear, I bet there are so many ex Subaru owner's in here its not even funny. I loved my 02 wrx and Ive seen at least 3 other people say something about owning one.

Scarpelli
05-16-2007, 08:18 PM
It's torque steer, and the Element has puh-lenty of it. And the manual is even worse because of the short gear ratios and higher gear multiplication. Get used to it. For real excitement, launch hard in 1st, and immediately dive into a corner as you speed shift into 2nd. :???: You MIGHT have some trouble holding your line. :D

There's nothing wrong with your car that the dealer can fix, because they aren't engineers. Think of it as an interesting "idiosyncracy"...

lizzurd
05-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Torque steer is almost unvoidable in front wheel drive cars.Most have un-equal length front axles which is what contributes to the problem.
gfxguy posted a link about it in post number 9.

Brandi
05-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Mine does the same. Just noticed it the other day. Though I'm not concerned about it as it's the torque issue as said by others. I've had many front wheel driven vehicles do this. The worst was my Grand Prix GTP. It was really bad.