Clearance light problem [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Clearance light problem

DCbox
05-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Installed clearance lights today. Tapped into the side markers and did lights on the drivers side first (amber and red), both light came on no issue. problem started after I installed the passenger side lights and turned them on, a 15a fuse blew in the box under the hood which knocked out the markers and the gauge lights. Replaced fuse, blows again, figure too much current for the fuse so I add an inline fuse, fuse in box blows again. So I get the add-a-circuit and put 2 15's in the box, both fuses blow. All are wired and grounded,nothing to cause a short. I did the blinker mod also, but I doubt that's the cause, because 2 lights did work. Checked the threads but only found info on 2 lights not 4. Any advice i can get would be great.

EXwSCnose
05-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Installed clearance lights today. Tapped into the side markers and did lights on the drivers side first (amber and red), both light came on no issue. problem started after I installed the passenger side lights and turned them on, a 15a fuse blew in the box under the hood which knocked out the markers and the gauge lights. Replaced fuse, blows again, figure too much current for the fuse so I add an inline fuse, fuse in box blows again. So I get the add-a-circuit and put 2 15's in the box, both fuses blow. All are wired and grounded,nothing to cause a short. I did the blinker mod also, but I doubt that's the cause, because 2 lights did work. Checked the threads but only found info on 2 lights not 4. Any advice i can get would be great.

If you re-blow 15 amp fuses you got a SOLID SHORT somewhere. Recheck all your modding, and draw out what the schematic loks and should look like. If you have (...more than likely you don't) the OEM fat book, look at the circuit there and add your alterations into the shown diagram for future reference. My guess is you tied a hot-wire to a ground somewhere... Do NOT up the fuse amperage, or you WILL cook your harness. The good news is I do have a full on 2007 EX, LX harness for sale... :-) $100.-- plus S&H... :-)

bh241
05-20-2007, 06:59 AM
It does sound like a dead short. Have you tried disconnecting the last two and seeing if everything works ok?

DCbox
05-20-2007, 10:06 AM
The hot wires are tapped into the the side markers and run the length of the truck under the upper cladding. The lights are tapped into those wires. The ground wires are attached to screws that hold the cladding in place(center and rear). The lights on the left side did work, only after the right side was done the problem started. The only exposed wires are the grounds everything else is wrapped. I'll take off the right side again the look for a short. I do have the OEM book, so I'll go back through that also.

shawn.chris
05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Do you have a picture with the mod done? You can use an meter and check for the short.

JusG19
05-20-2007, 09:18 PM
What's a clearance light? is it a cleared headlight/blinker?

BuckNakedBooda
05-20-2007, 09:34 PM
I saw today what DCBox did with his marker lights and now I am developing the marker light mod fever.....

DCbox
05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Do you have a picture with the mod done? You can use an meter and check for the short.
This is a closeup from the meet, the ambers are top mounted, once i find the short and get them working I'll take pics.

bh241
05-20-2007, 10:03 PM
they look great! You have two more in the rear? red I assume?

DCbox
05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
they look great! You have two more in the rear? red I assume?
Thanks,:) You assume correctly.
Side note: found a store 30 miles from DC that sells Cheerwine!!!

bh241
05-21-2007, 07:29 AM
30 miles from DC that sells Cheerwine!!!

30 miles? Heck you can do that sleeping! :)

chozn4service
05-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Seems like SellnAcura did this mod and it really looked nice! If he didn't (but I think he did) someone else did and they had LED's mounted on the front corners with red LED's on the rear corners. Looked really nice. I believe he said he mounted them on the plasitc corners and ran the wire down the "A" pillar to the side marker lights were he tapped into them for power and grounded on the body. He never mentioned having problems with the blowing of fuses or anything. Hope you get it worked out with some pic's and a write up on it.

Peace!