Pioneer AVIC-D3 install with Honda Pilot Faceplate/Mounting Kit [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Pioneer AVIC-D3 install with Honda Pilot Faceplate/Mounting Kit

craptastic7
08-16-2007, 07:06 PM
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9275/dsc4386zj5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Shot with NIKON D70s (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=NIKON+D70s&make=NIKON+CORPORATION) at 2007-08-16

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/3697/dsc4387ot9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7194/dsc4388uj0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/558/dsc4390mo8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2419/dsc4394cv2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I searched far and wide (online and in stores) for a double-din faceplate for the e. No luck. The gap became so bothersome that I had to fix it so I gambled and bought the Honda Pilot double-din mounting kit and faceplate. The actual faceplate fit like a dream around the D3, filling in the gap and making the unit look nice and "stock."

Despite the faceplate fitting perfectly, the mounting brackets that have the end-tabs, which hold the faceplate in place, were a completely different story. The "cubbyhole" where the stereo sits simply isn't wide enough to allow the metal brackets (that bolt to the D3 and bolt to the dash holding it in place) and the plastic Pilot brackets (which sit between the metal bracket and the D3) to fit. This left me in a predicament. Luckily most car install predicaments can be solved with a dremmel. I ended up essentially sawing off the entire rear portion of the mounting bracket, leaving about 3/4 of an inch of plastic with the tabs to hold the faceplate on the end.

Now here comes the ghetto part of the install. I simply took double sided tape and stuck the remaining 3/4 of an inch of bracket to each side of the D3 with the faceplate attached to the tabs and viola, you've got a clean looking double-din install in the element using a Pilot mounting kit. Surprisingly, the faceplate and mount is very sturdy with just some double sided tape. It's not going anywhere. The kit can be bought here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2007-HONDA-PILOT-DOUBLE-DIN-INSTALL-DASH-KIT-METRA_W0QQitemZ120150992570QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3863 6QQcmdZViewItem).

Don't even bother with that flimsy plastic trim piece that comes with it. As soon as you open the new box you might as well throw it out, it's completely useless.

box-E
08-16-2007, 07:36 PM
GREAT job on the install and the pilot kit!!! I will have to order that kit when I do mine.:D Just put the D3 in my wife Ody and it is really a nice unit. Did you add any of the acessorries? I put in Sirius, bluetooth, ipod interface cable, and the pac steering wheel interface, and a backup camera. Very nice HU to add things to. Drew:)

barvel
08-16-2007, 07:57 PM
The only 2 things holding me back from installing my D3 are:

1: VSS Wire

2: Face Plate.

Now I read some where some one said Forget it and didn't do the VSS. And I see your antenna on the dash.

Great Pics and Great install

craptastic7
08-16-2007, 07:57 PM
i got the ipod hookup which is a must, and i plan on getting the backup camera. since i have the dx the steering wheel controls weren't an option in the first place. i would also like to get a stock subwoofer to go under the dash to compliment my 4 infinitys. anyone know where i can get a stock subwoofer setup btw?

DrkBlckSC
08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
is that an 06 surround piece?

craptastic7
08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
for the vss wire, since you have a 2003, i can tell you for certain that its a blue wire with white dashes going down the side of it. its in the cluster of wires for all your gauges. theres a few other blue wires in there but only one has the white dashes on it and thats the one you want. at first i wasn't too big on the antenna on the dash but since its nice and centered it looks kinda of cool. i dremmeled out a little slit in the trim piece at the top so the wire didnt get pinched.

craptastic7
08-16-2007, 08:55 PM
is that an 06 surround piece?

i'm not sure if its specific to the 06 Pilot. i believe they can be used in any pilot. the kit comes with 2 face plates but only one of them will fit nicely around the d3, so its obvious which one to use

box-E
08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
If you get a stock sub box and want to sell your storage bin let me know. I want to build a sub box out of one for my 10" sub.. I put the antennas in our Ody up in the dash, do you remember if there was room for the antenna there? Drew:)

craptastic7
08-17-2007, 08:22 AM
If you get a stock sub box and want to sell your storage bin let me know. I want to build a sub box out of one for my 10" sub.. I put the antennas in our Ody up in the dash, do you remember if there was room for the antenna there? Drew:)

i'll be sure to let you know about the stock enclosure. i even just bought new expando clips for the bottom because i broke the originals during the avic install. you'll be able to fit the antenna somewhere back there. i put it on the dash because i wanted it somewhat exposed to get the best signal possible.

barvel
08-17-2007, 08:57 AM
for the vss wire, since you have a 2003, i can tell you for certain that its a blue wire with white dashes going down the side of it. its in the cluster of wires for all your gauges. theres a few other blue wires in there but only one has the white dashes on it and thats the one you want. at first i wasn't too big on the antenna on the dash but since its nice and centered it looks kinda of cool. i dremmeled out a little slit in the trim piece at the top so the wire didnt get pinched.

For Sure?

Thank you Craptastic.
I'll be doin' my install as soon as the face place shows up. I crawled under and saw the wire. Looks easy enough.

Oh the back up camera. Were you able to still use the dvd by pass?

box-E
08-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey craptastic you can mount your gps and sat. radio antennas under the roof cladding, the plastis doesn't interfear with the signal, and it is unseen by the outside world. Very easy mod, search for "hidden antenna" Drew:)

craptastic7
08-17-2007, 03:44 PM
I have yet to install the rear view camera so I can't be too certain, but the rear cam is only activated when the car is put in reverse, which is why you have to connect the reverse sensor wire (not sure where that goes). So, it should have no affect on the bypass.

box-E
08-17-2007, 05:46 PM
You also need the reverse sensor wire connected if the vss wire is connected so the gps knows you are backing up to keep your locations correct according to the D3 install book. Drew:)

NismoGriff
04-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I want to know which BRAND of Pilot dash kit was used to do this install? Metra, Scosche, American International?? The link the OP had listed is no longer valid. OP, anybody??

elcuby
04-21-2008, 08:44 AM
the Pioneer AVIC-D3is nice unit, but when you need to have DVD disk just to re rout or change destination 2 me is pain..check this link ....

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/pioneer-avic-d3/4505-3430_7-32319805.html

eddieroger
04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Since the thread was revived (thanks, NismoGriff), I'd like to ask a follow-up question or two.

I plan on ordering from Crutchfield (best deal right now), and they always throw in the harnesses. If I use what they send me, will I keep the sub without too many problems? I'm not afraid of a little solder or wire work, but I'd like to do the install myself, so long as I don't have too many issues. I know I'll lose the AUX port (bye!), but keeping the sub is important to me.

Also, just general, but do you like the unit? I'm reading reviews about the pains of the one disc drive thing, but since most of music comes from XM or my iPod, I don't see this being a big problem. Is it?

renae_b
04-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Since the thread was revived (thanks, NismoGriff), I'd like to ask a follow-up question or two.

I plan on ordering from Crutchfield (best deal right now), and they always throw in the harnesses. If I use what they send me, will I keep the sub without too many problems? I'm not afraid of a little solder or wire work, but I'd like to do the install myself, so long as I don't have too many issues. I know I'll lose the AUX port (bye!), but keeping the sub is important to me.

Also, just general, but do you like the unit? I'm reading reviews about the pains of the one disc drive thing, but since most of music comes from XM or my iPod, I don't see this being a big problem. Is it?

You have to incorporate the factory amp and solder on an RCA. See the factory amp integration on the sticky at the top of mobile electronics link.

NismoGriff
04-21-2008, 10:14 PM
the Pioneer AVIC-D3is nice unit, but when you need to have DVD disk just to re rout or change destination 2 me is pain..check this link ....

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/pioneer-avic-d3/4505-3430_7-32319805.html

I agree somewhat, but I plan on putting a flip down in the rear anyway, so instead of just a monitor, I decided I would put an all-in-one back there and link the two together. As far as the CD aspect goes....I bought my first car cd deck in 1991 and I bet I have less than 75 CD's and I am currently carrying none of them in my E...I think I have maybe 8-10 in my truck which have been in there for probably 2-3 years and I have had the same 12 in a changer cartridge in another car that I own for probably 4-5 years and I am really not exaggerating :shock: I also don't have an Ipod, but I will be installing the Ipod cable and will also be installing the XM tuner. It's funny, as much as it sucks....I think I mainly listen to FM radio :| I will have all aspects covered though .

texaselement
04-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm not afraid of a little solder or wire work, but I'd like to do the install myself, so long as I don't have too many issues. I know I'll lose the AUX port (bye!), but keeping the sub is important to me.

You'll need to solder male RCA connectors onto the Honda harness, as well as the separate harness in the car for the sub. Plug them into the RCA outputs of the AVIC. If you follow the Element wiring diagram like renae said, you should be good.

If I had the $, I'd rather have the AVIC-Z2. I installed one in a friends Ridgeline, and it is an awesome unit. But for the $, I'm very satisfied with the D3. Yea, the single-disc navigation operation can be a pain sometimes, but it's really not too much of an inconvenience. I listen to XM most of the time anyways, and just keep the NAV disc in.

eddieroger
04-22-2008, 12:27 PM
You'll need to solder male RCA connectors onto the Honda harness, as well as the separate harness in the car for the sub. Plug them into the RCA outputs of the AVIC. If you follow the Element wiring diagram like renae said, you should be good.

Not a problem! The follow up questions is where one acquires such a thing? Is this a RadioShack type of item? I imagine it being just the tip, and then hooking either extension wire or the harness directly to the tip, yes?

If I had the $, I'd rather have the AVIC-Z2. I installed one in a friends Ridgeline, and it is an awesome unit. But for the $, I'm very satisfied with the D3. Yea, the single-disc navigation operation can be a pain sometimes, but it's really not too much of an inconvenience. I listen to XM most of the time anyways, and just keep the NAV disc in.

I'm with you on the XM as primary audio source as well. Between that and my iPod, I'm not too concerned. I've just seen a wide array of reviews ranging from "I love this unit!" to "stay away," so I thought I'd ask some people who's opinions count - other E owners. :D

texaselement
04-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Is this a RadioShack type of item? I imagine it being just the tip, and then hooking either extension wire or the harness directly to the tip, yes?

Yea, I got mine at Radio Shack. They've got cheap ones, and gold plated ones as well.

OTG
04-25-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm going to do the AVH-P4000DVD with the pilot mounting kit molded in. Pics when it goes in. :D

texaselement
04-25-2008, 09:05 AM
eddieroger - did you see this? It'll save you a little time...

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45440

If I would've seen this before my install, I would've bought this instead.

NismoGriff
04-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I'll add a little to this post since I installed my D3 the other day and used the Metra dash kit for the Pilot (part #95-7861). I mounted my D3 with the factory brackets and when I mounted it in the dash, I shimmed the bottom out a little with a washer behind each of the two lower mounting tabs. This will make the face of the radio run even with the factory trim ring from top to bottom. The reason I did this was because I didn't "mount" the dash kit to the radio. I put the dash back together and then I used only the trim ring from the kit and I put the thinner part at the top and press fit it in between the factory trim and the radio. Trust me, it is not going to fall out while your driving because it actually takes a little bit of work to get it pushed in there, but I think the end result looks pretty good. I have attached a pic that I took with my camera phone...I don't have my good digital at the shop, but I am not blaming the bad pic on the camera, I just can't hold still enough for the camera to focus while taking pics :D I also posted in another thread that you can use the Metra 70-1725 wiring harness to integrate with the factory amp, saves a little time soldering on RCA ends :cool:

eddieroger
04-25-2008, 06:27 PM
eddieroger - did you see this? It'll save you a little time...

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45440

If I would've seen this before my install, I would've bought this instead.

I did, but from what I saw, I'm still going to have to solder the sub connectors, and since I got the other harness free (thanks, Crutchfield!), I'm going to rough it. Thanks for the heads up though. It looks like the install will be Sunday night, so I'll document it all in a post once done.

949eg
05-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Thank you for the suggestion on the Pilot faceplate....I bought the Pilot faceplate including the plastic piece for an 06 Element from Honda and istalled it on my 08 SC.....it fits like a glove.

Mon-El
06-24-2008, 07:06 PM
To all who installed a D3 in their Element -

It looks like from all the posts I've read that everyone used the original metal brackets from the stock stereo to attach/hold the D3. My issue is that using the default metal brackets on the holes in the D3, my D3 seems a little too deep inside the opening (also it's not at the same angle as the stock stereo - the bottom needs to push out just a bit more). There's no other obvious holes on the side of the D3 to screw in the bracket so I'm a little at a loss.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Scott

BigAl205
06-24-2008, 07:14 PM
It looks like from post #24 that NismoGriff used washers as spacers and more at the bottom to adjust the angle.

NismoGriff
06-24-2008, 09:20 PM
It looks like from post #24 that NismoGriff used washers as spacers and more at the bottom to adjust the angle.

Your right BigAl, I did. It is probably gonna need to be spaced out about 1/8th inch, roughly. It could be accomplished by slotting the holes out in the mounting bracket also, but there is plenty of thread on the bolt to space it out some and if you ever have to go back to stock, simply remove the washers.

Mon-El
06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Ahhh crap I got it now thanks. I misread that as using a washer with the Pilot kit. Thanks guys, I'll try it manana.

-S

oneangrytoast
12-20-2009, 01:42 PM
just installed in my 08 SC. everything works just fine except the radio.

im not experienced in car audio at all but my friend who installed with me is. he said that generally speaking tuner connectors are their own separate connection and neither of us saw a specific tuner dedicated connection in the factory head unit.

any ideas?

texaselement
12-20-2009, 02:14 PM
You have to use a Honda antenna adapter like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-HD10-2005-Up-Antenna-Adapter/dp/B000K4YOCG

Did you install one of these? There's a plug that went into your OEM radio that you will plug this into, then the other end into the antenna input of your new unit.

oneangrytoast
12-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Ok I ordered that part and the pilot faceplate to complete the aesthetic.

Is there a certain setting on the iPod video funtion that needs to be enabled?

I had a friends 5.5gen working upon install but can't get my "fatboy" nano to link video. I'm going to go search the annals of avec411 now but just wondering if anybody knew off the top of their head.

Thanks for the help! And feel free to DM, I feel bad for bumping the thread =/

NismoGriff
12-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Ok I ordered that part and the pilot faceplate to complete the aesthetic.

Is there a certain setting on the iPod video funtion that needs to be enabled?

I had a friends 5.5gen working upon install but can't get my "fatboy" nano to link video. I'm going to go search the annals of avec411 now but just wondering if anybody knew off the top of their head.

Thanks for the help! And feel free to DM, I feel bad for bumping the thread =/

AFAIK, the D3 only supports video on version 5 and 5.5.

oneangrytoast
01-17-2010, 08:26 PM
im curious if any of you had the bluetooth option and where you decided to install the microphone and the bluetooth black box.

also, wheres a good place for the GPS antenna that wont draw too much attention?

texaselement
01-18-2010, 07:37 PM
GPS / XM antenna - hidden satellite method:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19971
(my pic is on page 16)

I put my Bluetooth module behind the gear shifter. You have to pull off all the trim pieces (they pop off), but there's plenty room back there. I mounted my microphone at the top of the driver's side A pillar with the wire ran behind the A pillar and under the dash over to the radio. Works great.

oneangrytoast
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Some friends and I tried to finalize the install over the weekend. I don't understand how you guys got the square face plate to fit inside the surrounding bezel from the element that tapers inward towards the bottom. We ended up shaving some of the bezel off and that helped to fit the bezel over the faceplate. Did I miss something?

The tv now sits with the screen flat as compared to leaning back like the dash and there is a small lip at the bottom. I'm upset that it didn't come out perfect like in the pics, but it's a significant aesthetic improvent over the initial install. At least now I can't see around the tv and into my dash board.

Final issue is with the VSS wire. I read that I need to hook this up as well as a reverse wire to let the nav know when I'm reversing. Any idea where I can find these wires on an 08sc? I need to figure this out because my nav is acting up. Pretty sure this will fix it up tho.

texaselement
02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
No VSS wire in the Element. Therefore, unless you have a back up camera, there's no need to hook up the reverse wire either. If your NAV is acting funny, try re-setting some of the settings in the AVIC. Mine started to display my location off last year, and after playing with some settings deep within the AVIC NAV system, it reset itself and has worked much better since.

You have a pic of your dash kit installed? The Pilot kit should work good.

Crate Escape
02-02-2010, 02:36 AM
I can't speak for the D3, but my F90BT tracks accurately despite the absence of a VSS wire. It worked equally well when it was in my Audi without the VSS connected.

(The Z110BT in my Audi now, however, was always off until I was able to locate and connect the VSS, so at least some Pioneers suck without it).

Yoda E SC
02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
you will need to get a speed pulse generator that either works of magnetic field from the magnetized belts in the tires or one that hooks to the obdII port and gets it from the data network. the d3 acts stupid without VSS. that is what is in my wifes GTI and we had to use one as like the newer elements there is dedicated VSS wire, all data.

oh and fill out your profile angrytoast.

woosterpuss
02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
no need for the reverse wire to be hooked up. when i had mine hooked up, it was a nightmare. especially on the highway when it seemed fine, and then i would be going backwards. according to the gps. very annoying.

oneangrytoast
02-03-2010, 11:30 PM
haha way over my head with all that, but how much does something like that cost?

the gps is beyond off. im in south FL and it thinks im in manhattan, but i heard manhattan is a recurring location for malfunctioning d3's. i tried telling it where i was right down to the intersection and proper orientation, but then it was miscalculating my speed as being 3x actual speed, other times only off by 3mph.

nothing ever works right. its comical really.

thanks again guys for all your help.

Yoda E SC
02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
a speed pulse generator is easy to install. power, ground, switched, and VSS output are the only 4 wires on them. install in the rear side panel near the wheel well and magnitize the tire's belts that it is closest to with the "wand" that comes with the unit. done.

texaselement
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
You still shouldn't be anywhere near that far off. Without the VSS, it can become a little off, but not like what you described. Have you re-set the unit (the little hole) or tried restoring to factory defaults?

oneangrytoast
02-10-2010, 11:44 AM
GPS figured out where it was, it just took wayyyy more than the 20 minutes of driving that everyone experienced.

I'll take the rest of my avic issues to avic411.