XM Satellite and the Aux [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: XM Satellite and the Aux

thechad
08-20-2003, 01:50 PM
In my perfect little world I could have the Delphi Sky-Fi XM satellite unit and an MP3 player share the AUX channel without having to unplug and replug. Here is how it would work.

If the XM's power was on it would disable/ignore anything plugged into the AUX channel and I would hear satellite radio. If I turned my XM off then I would hear the MP3 player.

Has anybody tried this or know of an adapter/switch that would do this?

I guess this is very similar to how the FM modulation stuff works but was hoping to use the AUX channel instead.

Sheniferous
08-20-2003, 02:02 PM
[quote:5a97fb1e22="thechad"]In my perfect little world I could have the Delphi Sky-Fi XM satellite unit and an MP3 player share the AUX channel without having to unplug and replug. Here is how it would work.

If the XM's power was on it would disable/ignore anything plugged into the AUX channel and I would hear satellite radio. If I turned my XM off then I would hear the MP3 player.

Has anybody tried this or know of an adapter/switch that would do this?

I guess this is very similar to how the FM modulation stuff works but was hoping to use the AUX channel instead.[/quote:5a97fb1e22]

you could try a y adapter... i know it works to split output, but i dunno if it will split input from minijack sources... i will go test it out right now.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F001%5F002&product%5Fid=274%2D879

Sheniferous
08-20-2003, 02:17 PM
okay i just tested it... using my iPaq playing an audiobook, and an external CD player playing some music...

it works just fine. however, the volume on each device diminished by maybe 10% when both were plugged in a playing.

Slowhand
08-20-2003, 06:37 PM
[quote:c111731661="Sheniferous"]okay i just tested it... using my iPaq playing an audiobook, and an external CD player playing some music...

it works just fine. however, the volume on each device diminished by maybe 10% when both were plugged in a playing.[/quote:c111731661]

If both were plugged in and playing didn't the sound mix? I would be concerned with the XM that some interference might creep in since it's a radio. I bought the shortest patch cable I could to avoid picking up stray waves on my XM.