VOMIT [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: VOMIT

geeare
08-22-2003, 02:59 PM
One of my 3 boston terriers is a little, how shall I put it......"nervous". The first time we took Higgins for a drive, and before we even got outta the driveway, he puked on the back seat. It wiped up like it didn't want to be there. The funny thing is, I wasn't even upset when it happened. If I was driving a new Rav4 or something, I probably would have been pissed but I knew this vehicle could handle it.

Check my dogs out here if you're interested:
http://www.geocities.com/geeare

spldr
08-23-2003, 02:41 AM
one of my little darlings ;-) christined the backseat within 10 mins of her first ride.

I was pissed because it was at the beginning of a longish road trip and we had the whole day ahead of us to enjoy the "fragerance". I cleaned it up right away, but had no way of treating the spot and the acidic results are a stained seat.

Thanks Pup Pup ... oh well, gotta love 'em good or bad.

k9disc
04-11-2004, 12:09 PM
My little female BC had a real problem with getting sick on car rides. That is no longer the case.
If your dog gets sick in the car, just feed them in the vehicle for about a week. The first couple days, leave the car off. The next few days, start the car and then feed them in it. I think that you will find that your dog will be cured after this excercise.

music&dogs
04-11-2004, 01:07 PM
I have one that gets sick if you do feed him before a trip and one that gets sick if you take her down the road with an empty stomach. It takes a while to figure out what works with each critter. I just love traveling with them though, in spite of all the extra work. Wish I knew something to suggest to remove your stain. Did you try contacting the seat manufacturer?

k9disc
04-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Any of you E owners with 'Pukers' tried to feed your dog in the car for a few days? It really would solve your problems.
Later,
Ron

geeare
04-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Nah, Higgins is over his little problem now. He was just a little nervous or anxious the first time out and my other two love it. I pull the passenger seat up as far as it will go and my female, Stella, mounts herself up on the dash. with a windsheild like the one in the "E" I imagine it must be like flying for her.

brendan
04-29-2004, 03:18 PM
[quote:aef06f906f=" "]Nah, Higgins is over his little problem now. He was just a little nervous or anxious the first time out and my other two love it. I pull the passenger seat up as far as it will go and my female, Stella, mounts herself up on the dash. with a windsheild like the one in the "E" I imagine it must be like flying for her.[/quote:aef06f906f]

@@magnum(HIIIGGGEEENNNSSS!!!)

-brendan

music&dogs
04-29-2004, 10:55 PM
I got my money's worth out of the E today. 8) It did just what I'd hoped it would do when I bought it - made a bad doggy experience temporary instead of a permanent one I'd have to live with for the life of the vehicle!
Sedona (dog in photo) barfed (not barked) for the first time since I bought the E. Rubber floor mats caught most of it; the sleeping bag (rubber exercise mat inside it) caught the rest of it so nothing got on the seat. It's all cleaned up and smells like new again. Now I know this is probably more information than some of you want to know about this disgusting subject, but I'm happEEEEEEEE! What a great car for me and my mutt.

wirefly
05-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Try feeding some ginger snaps- that will help settle the stomach. You can also try Dramamine (ask your vet for dosage), valerian root, or ginger capsules (make sure they swallow the ginger cap instead of biting it, like mine did once... then exhaled in my face!). I have a car sick dog- nothing has worked and she's 4 1/2 now- that was part of my motivation for getting my E.

Good luck!

jakabedy
05-17-2004, 04:41 PM
I thought I'd add to this thread rather than start a new one.

My 4 mo. old Akita mix has vehicle anxiety. He barfs on every ride, and even when sitting in the E with doors open in the driveway, the drool starts. He has to be picked up and placed in the vehicle.

I started yesterday to feed him in the car, as suggested -- but he only ate about 1/8 of his food. He just sat there and drooled after that, and I finally let him get out. I didn't let him have the rest of his food. What is the best way to handle this? If he gets hungry enough he'll eat in the E? Or am I causing irreparable mental damage by withholding the remaining food?

Help!

boneheadz
05-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Try a static strip attached to the underside of the car. You can get them at any parts store.

bone

HappyCamper
05-17-2004, 07:08 PM
First, here are a couple of many related articles available on the web:

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/canines.html

http://www.pawsacrossamerica.com/car.html

My previous dog, a Scottie, got car sick a few times when she was a puppy, but she did outgrow it. At that time, I was planning a drive from Dallas to Nashville and was concerned about her carsickness. My vet suggested that I hold back on food before the trip and that while on the road I give her ice cubes to quench her thirst rather than a big bowl of water.

My current dog, Buddy, a four-month old sheltie, also vomited a couple of times at first, during short rides around town. But he quickly outgrew that stage. I think that from things that I've read on the subject, the key is to avoid taking your puppy for a ride on a full stomach. And for puppies, it appears to be common, so for a short while at least, just clean it up and say, "I hope that he outgrows this soon."

As for anxiety... Buddy was barely 7 weeks old when I brought him home from the breeder's. I had put a towel on the passenger seat for him and I took the back streets home (about an hour's drive), so that I could steer with my left hand and deal with Buddy with my right hand. When he tried to crawl over to my lap, I told him NO but continued to pet and scratch him to calm and reassure him. At red lights, I'd pick him up and play with him, but when the light turned green, he went back to his own seat. That seemed to work, because he's been the perfect passenger ever since. If your dog is having anxiety issues, I'd suggest going on some short rides like that, one on one, until he/she gets over the anxiety and decides that riding in the car is a good thing. (Also, if the situation is stressing you out, your dog is going to pick up on those vibes and it will get worse.)

As you can see in the picture below, Buddy is now an official Element Owner ... and his ride came complete with a chauffeur. :P

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerrycan/P0002067_web.JPG

music&dogs
05-17-2004, 10:31 PM
I always feed at the regular meal times and I ususally try to feed him an hour or two before the trip, rather than in the car itself. At only 4 months old there is hope that your dog will outgrow this. I've had them get sick when they are little, but completely outgrow that behavior. But they're all different. Dogs quickly make associations, so whatever you can do to prevent establishing the association of vomiting with the car, that will help. Let us know how it's going.

k9disc
05-19-2004, 02:27 AM
[quote:7b570aa3fd=" "] I didn't let him have the rest of his food. What is the best way to handle this? If he gets hungry enough he'll eat in the E? Or am I causing irreparable mental damage by withholding the remaining food?

Help![/quote:7b570aa3fd]

I am not sure which would be the best route. But if you want to proceed slowly, go ahead and feed him the rest a little while after he gets out of the E.

My little female BC skipped a meal, and then got half the next day, then ate it all, then was not sick in the car again. (I feed 2 times/day: once /day in the E for this excercise).

Good luck.
Ron

ORANGEE
04-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Alright there Dog owners.........so, what is the best product for getting the smell out?
My Border Collie/Newfie mix wasn't feeling good this weekend and I had a showing on the house.........so, pack the dogs up (Him and the Golden) and outta the house we go. 10 minutes into the ride around.........projectial vomit all over the back seat. ........drive to Walgreens and get papertowels, 409 and Fabreeze.............
Well, aired out the car over the weekend
Got in this morning,,,,,,,,,,still got a twinge of the smell
HELP

tango
04-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Alright there Dog owners.........so, what is the best product for getting the smell out?
My Border Collie/Newfie mix wasn't feeling good this weekend and I had a showing on the house.........so, pack the dogs up (Him and the Golden) and outta the house we go. 10 minutes into the ride around.........projectial vomit all over the back seat. ........drive to Walgreens and get papertowels, 409 and Fabreeze.............
Well, aired out the car over the weekend
Got in this morning,,,,,,,,,,still got a twinge of the smell
HELP
Natures Miracle
You can get it at just about any decent sized pet store, and it is a "miracle". I buy it by the GALLON (2 dogs, 3 cats). Works on snotty windows too!

I NEVER feed my dogs in the AM the 1st morning of long car trips - let em' get their "car legs" and I feed lightly in the AM thereafter. Water is usually ok, so long as you don't let them tank up. I give my dogs a drink when I stop - but again, I do not let them go crazy drinking. MODERATION is the key. Light AM meal (snack), light water thru-out day, nice regular dinner in the PM when we are stopped has worked for me for YEARS. And no, our healthy, spoiled, well fed "kids" can go DAYS without food, you are not hurting them if they miss a meal. 4 hours without water is also OK for heatlthy dogs in temperature controlled cars unless they are panting heavily. Some dogs are just car sick the 1st few trips...others never really get over it. They are like people - they are all unique.

ORANGEE
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Natures Miracle
You can get it at just about any decent sized pet store, and it is a "miracle". I buy it by the GALLON (2 dogs, 3 cats). Works on snotty windows too!

I NEVER feed my dogs in the AM the 1st morning of long car trips - let em' get their "car legs" and I feed lightly in the AM thereafter. Water is usually ok, so long as you don't let them tank up. I give my dogs a drink when I stop - but again, I do not let them go crazy drinking. MODERATION is the key. Light AM meal (snack), light water thru-out day, nice regular dinner in the PM when we are stopped has worked for me for YEARS. And no, our healthy, spoiled, well fed "kids" can go DAYS without food, you are not hurting them if they miss a meal. 4 hours without water is also OK for heatlthy dogs in temperature controlled cars unless they are panting heavily. Some dogs are just car sick the 1st few trips...others never really get over it. They are like people - they are all unique.

Thanks Tango......will stop @ the Big Box pet store on the way home

Rin
04-16-2007, 03:37 PM
One of my 3 boston terriers is a little, how shall I put it......"nervous". The first time we took Higgins for a drive, and before we even got outta the driveway, he puked on the back seat. It wiped up like it didn't want to be there. The funny thing is, I wasn't even upset when it happened. If I was driving a new Rav4 or something, I probably would have been pissed but I knew this vehicle could handle it.

Check my dogs out here if you're interested:
http://www.geocities.com/geeare

I have 3 bostons too!