Safety Strobe Options [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Safety Strobe Options

Legioss
09-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I am supposed to get some amber safety lights for my E, since I use it at work. The two kinds I have seen are the removable ones (on roof, or inside windows), and the ones where the existing turn signals are modified to strobe. I'm not too keen on the removables. Does anybody have any experience with modifying the existing lights to be safety strobes? I heard that then they have to be LEDs, but I don't know for sure. Any help?

Critical_level2
09-01-2007, 06:18 PM
One place to check is www.galls.com. These are the strobes you seen in the police cars and what not. YOu could also get the temporary ones that just plug into the cigarette lighter, then you could transfer it from vehicle to vehicle.

Legioss
09-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks. I think what I am looking for is actually in the "flashers" category, but I wish I knew more about them. I still don't understand how they install/work, and that business about LEDs vs. reg bulbs....

ANYBODY have experience?

MikeQBF
09-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Yes, I have experience. I work for a DOT.

Strobes integrated into taillights (usually flash tubes) are ineffective by themselves. They're too low on the vehicle, for one thing. As part of a light package they help with the "attention factor", but they aren't distinct enough as standalones to get the needed driver attention.

Currently I am using a portable LED strobe (Code3 brand) stuck to the back window. It is not distinct enough, either, for my purpose, but I'm not doing as much on-road work these days so the need to upgrade isn't as pressing. As soon as the next phase of the project kicks-in and I get more road time, however, I'm getting a four-strobe bar and semi-permanently mounting it inside at the top of the rear window.

Motorists, generally speaking, have their heads... well, in a dark spot... when it comes to paying attention to temporary safety situations such as people working close to traffic lanes. Don't give them any more reason to not pay attention.

Legioss
09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Mike, how are the bars powered and operated? I have seen a few that plug into the cig outlets, but I would want minimal cords, and hopefully ONE switch for 2 bars (one front, one rear). I have two construction projects, one has access by driving ON railroad tracks (where they cross a busy street), and the other half on an elementary school. I'm talking "removables" now as you have informed me that integrated probably do not have the effect I desire.

However, they would still be cool...

MikeQBF
09-01-2007, 08:54 PM
The portable I use has a cig-lighter plug with a switch on the end (with its own LED to remind me that I have it on!), and a cord which at the moment is sort of flopping around and in the way. For your front/rear situation you're going to have to get into some wiring, if only to splice a pair together to the same cig-lighter switch thingie.

My biggest complaint with my current arrangement is that both my Hondas shut the lighter sockets off with the ignition. It makes me pretty nervous to keep the key in the ignition and on, just to have the strobes running to keep people from crashing into it... all while my attention is in a roadside signal equipment box. So I usually find somebody else to go to the boxes in the bad neighborhoods... they just don't know why, at least not yet.

Anyway, if your application only needs the flashers while you're moving or in the vehicle, then the lighter plug should be an OK system for you.