Disable/silence horn when locking? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Disable/silence horn when locking?

mjpd1
10-30-2007, 02:49 PM
I've only had my Element for a day, so bear with me; but is there a way to either disable or silence the horn beep when you double-lock the Element (or any Honda for that matter)? It's just so obscenely LOUD, I fear I'm waking my neighbors at night when I lock my car! I can't be the only one bothered by this....am I?

bh241
10-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Just hit the remote once. The parking lights will flash if the doors lock.

mjpd1
10-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Hmmm, I was under the impression that pressing it once locked the doors, pressing it twice enabled the security system. Is that completely something that I've made up in my head? Is the extra "beep" just for peace of mind that your doors are actually locked?

Cause if so, I'm a moron... :sad:

txbxdrvr
10-30-2007, 03:27 PM

Not so... I've thought about adding a Stebel Nautilus horn in conjuction with the stocker but wire the Stebel to only work with the key on. Then put some acoustic packing (or similar) in the stocker so it was quieter when locking/arming/whatever. People tend to glare at ya when you active that in parking lots.

The only real downside to that is the loss of "Panic" mode with a quieter horn.

Bike Zen
10-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Hmmm, I was under the impression that pressing it once locked the doors, pressing it twice enabled the security system. Is that completely something that I've made up in my head? Is the extra "beep" just for peace of mind that your doors are actually locked?

Don't be so hard on yourself!
(The second press IS just in case you didnt hear the locks or see the parking lights flash)

holden
10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah, just press the button once.

mjpd1
10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I think on every car I've ever owned, I pushed the button twice, thinking I was "super-locking" my doors or something. :razz:

lizzurd
10-30-2007, 03:49 PM
What year and model is your E? ( filling out your profile will help others in the future when you have questions ).

Junebug
10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
I guess we should ask if you have an aftermarket security system or are just using the standard key fob and such ... I don't have a security system and the second click/honk is just to have an audible lock ... but thank you for being considerate of your neighbors! I kinda wish that honk was muted, like my friend's VW.

mjpd1
10-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Sorry, it's a 2007 EX. I've been a member here for two years, but only just bought the Element yesterday; forgot to fill out my info :)

Car is stock, only 13k miles on it. My wife thought hitting the lock button twice activated the security in her car as well. Guess we were both wrong! It's still louder than necessary, IMO, but oh well.

bh241
10-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Don't feel bad, I left the wife out in the parking lot one day because I didn't know the doors locked back in about 30 seconds if you don't open the door right away.

Needless to say, that hasn't happened since... actually she keeps the keys now. :oops:

It's all good, sometimes it just doesn't feel that way.

But as long as you see the lights blink the doors locked. (if they blink twice, they unlocked). Only if you press the lock button twice will the horn sound. - well, unless you press the panic button...

lizzurd
10-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Sorry, it's a 2007 EX. I've been a member here for two years, but only just bought the Element yesterday; forgot to fill out my info :)

No worries.....a little info can be a big help some times. Congrats on the purchase and browe thru the manual when you get a chance ...you never know when you might need some of the info inside it.

Junebug
10-30-2007, 08:38 PM
My wife thought hitting the lock button twice activated the security in her car as well. Guess we were both wrong!

Not necessarily though - depends on the security system. I'm not sure your Element actually *has* a security system (like glass-break or motion-activated alarm). Her car might be different.

06TRPAWD
10-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Not necessarily though - depends on the security system. I'm not sure your Element actually *has* a security system (like glass-break or motion-activated alarm). Her car might be different.

Doubt it...she has a honda and all hondas work the same way..first press locks and sets alam and secon press simply verifies the first press with the horn in addition to repeating the flash of the marker lights

Junebug
10-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Doubt it...she has a honda and all hondas work the same way..first press locks and sets alam and secon press simply verifies the first press with the horn in addition to repeating the flash of the marker lights

Okay. I missed the part about her having a Honda. And whether she had a secondary alarm system or not. But I agree - on a stock Honda, at least mine!, one clicky = lock and flash lights, two clicky = lock and honk.

mjpd1
10-30-2007, 08:48 PM

How do you know what kind of car my wife has?!?! :|

:razz:

She actually has a stock Hyundai Santa Fe...pretty sure the "beep" on hers means the same thing as on ours. And I'm sure my last two Jetta's were both the same way as well.

06TRPAWD
10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
My mistake ..thought I read that it was a honda...but I will say that the first lock on ALL cars prodcued with factory lock systems, the firstpress of the lock is what does the locking ..anything after that is just for the comsumer to verify

metronyelement
10-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Don't feel bad, I left the wife out in the parking lot one day because I didn't know the doors locked back in about 30 seconds if you don't open the door right away..
i dont think this happens with the element ?
i remember having a after market system years agi, wheee it would auto lock the doors, not a good idea,many carsd at gas pumps got key locked in.

lizzurd
10-31-2007, 08:36 AM
i remember having a after market system years agi, wheee it would auto lock the doors, not a good idea,many carsd at gas pumps got key locked in.

Yes it does happen with the E....many times i hot the unlock button from inside the house and ran out to my E with a handlefull of stuff only to find the doors had relocked because i didn't open them fats enough.

a2j812
10-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I thought that the Element came with a factory alarm, but I was proven wrong when some SOB broke into it. The second push beep is just to confirm that the doors are locked. the Element has no alarm unless you purchased that option when buying it. I'm thinking about getting it.

4wdriver
10-31-2007, 08:09 PM
the second press that makes the horn beep is for locating your car in a crowded parking area.it comes second after locking so you arent unlocking when trying to locate your car in some huge lot that filled after you parked.

bh241
10-31-2007, 08:12 PM
the second press that makes the horn beep is for locating your car in a crowded parking area.

It's also good to scare the bejesus out of unsuspecting shoppers going through the parking lot...

just sayin'

lizzurd
10-31-2007, 08:14 PM
It's also good to scare the bejesus out of unsuspecting shoppers going through the parking lot...

just sayin'

Even better results if you add a set of air horns.....

bh241
10-31-2007, 08:14 PM

It does work that way. Try it sometime.
Just for grins and giggles, sometime try this...

leave the keys in the ignition, step out of the element, lock the drivers door and close it....

you'll be surprised.

autopilot
06-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I have seen this question posted and nobody has answered it properly. I have a 2004 element with a keyless entry system and NO alarm system. I know the confirmation horn sounds after you hit the lock button twice on the key fob. I DON'T want the horn to sound AT ALL after the lock button is hit twice. I can't stand the horn going off no matter how many times the button is hit and the lights flashing are ok with me.

So how do I disable the horn from going off when the lock button is hit twice??? Is there a wire to cut? If so, which one, what color is it and where is it??? Pictures???

Give me the correct answer and I will go thru every single post on the forum that has asked that question and spread the answer.

Alaskan_Toaster
06-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Uh, don't hit the lock button twice??!! :shock::twisted::evil:

Seriously, the horn beep is to confirm that the vehicle is locked, not to alert those around you that you have a remote locking system...... :shock::razz::razz:

desinia
06-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Uh, don't hit the lock button twice??!! :shock::twisted::evil:

Seriously, the horn beep is to confirm that the vehicle is locked, not to alert those around you that you have a remote locking system...... :shock::razz::razz:

Um... I don't think he cares WHY it's going off. Fact is, I'd love to get rid of that cursed horn beep myself since it always seems to happen when somebody's right in front of the hood. The lights flashing are good enough.

ElementFanatic
06-16-2010, 10:09 PM
No reason to hit the button twice, hit it once and it locks.

If your hitting the button twice and honking the horn then the fix would be to correct the user and not hit it twice.

1 click for silent lock and light flash

2 clicks additional light flash and horn honk for confirmation.

Dom.five
06-17-2010, 07:45 AM

If your hitting the button twice and honking the horn then the fix would be to correct the user and not hit it twice.

1 click for silent lock and light flash

2 clicks additional light flash and horn honk for confirmation.

Quoted for truth!

You can't fix "User Error" !

Dom

autopilot
06-17-2010, 07:46 AM
C'mon guys! You are ruining this post like all the others with the same question have been ruined. **** how many times you push the button crap! What wire do you cut, disable, etc. to stop the horn from going off when the lock button is hit??????

autopilot
06-17-2010, 07:51 AM
If you don't know the answer to the question then don't post a reply or stupid comment. In fact, why don't you help me find the answer to the question???? Anybody got a tech manual???

I just pulled the green connector for my keyless entry system which is located to under the dash to the left of the brake and steering mechanism. None of the buttons on the key fob work so that tells me it's the right connector. There are only 4 wires going to it: White with red strip, yellow, black, and blue with a red stripe. Which one goes to the horn?????

C'mon guys!! Which one is it???

Rick92040
06-17-2010, 08:21 AM
With most connectors you can take a very small screwdriver or for techies a "pin pusher" and remove the individual wires from the connector. So.. Try removing the wires one at a time and see what happens. Let us know if one stops the horn.

Americonium
06-17-2010, 08:29 AM
12volts white (50A) + ignition harness
Starter black/white + ignition harness
Second Starter N/A
Ignition black/yellow + ignition harness
Second Ignition N/A
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory black/red + ignition harness
Second Accessory white/red + ignition harness
Keysense red/white - ign harn or factory alarm plug
Notes: The factory alarm plug is a green plug to the left of the steering column.
Power Lock white/blue - driver kick, door harness
Power Unlock white/green - driver kick, door harness
Lock Motor yellow/black 5wi DKP or back of fuse box, top left
Unlock Motor yellow/green 5wi DKP or back of fuse box, top left
Parking Lights+ red/black + back of fuse box, top middle
Notes: Can also use red/yellow (+) at the front of the fuse box, 18 pin plug, pin 15.
Parking Lights- blue - switch or factory alarm plug
Notes: The factory alarm plug is a green plug to the left of the steering column.
Hazards same as turn signal wires
Turn Signal(L) green/red + turn signal switch
Turn Signal(R) green/yellow + turn signal switch
Reverse Light green/black + frt of fuse box, 18 pin plug, pin 1
Door Trigger green (D), gray/black (P) - frt of fusebox or factory alarm plug
Notes: Use both wires and diode isolate each.

The factory alarm plug is a green plug to the left of the steering column.
Dome Supervision green/red - back of fuse box, top right
Trunk/Hatch Pin red - frt of fusebox or factory alarm plug
Hood Pin N/A
Trunk/Hatch Release N/A
Power Sliding Door N/A
Factory Alarm Arm factory remote only
Factory Alarm Disarm factory remote only
Disarm No Unlock factory remote only
Tachometer blue ac ECM/PCM behind glovebox, pin E25
Wait to start N/A
Brake Wire white/black + brake pedal switch
Parking Brake green/orange - Immobilizer Control Unit, pin 4
Notes: The Immobilizer Control Unit is on the ignition key cylinder.
Horn Trigger orange - switch or factory alarm plug
Memory Seat 1 N/A
Memory Seat 2 N/A
Memory Seat 3 N/A
Interface Module: Category:
Required:
Yes Type:
Transponder
Part #: 555i, 556U, or 555U
Notes: N/A

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
Directed electronics, Inc. assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.

As you can see, there doesn't seem to be any online information about the actual horn honk. The only advice I can offer is to get a volt meter, and start testing.

Attach the black lead to ground (metal part of the car). Attach the red lead to one of the four wires you mentioned by putting the sharp metal end into the connected connector where the wires are attached. There are metal bits that you will make contact with. Push the lock button once. If it shows a voltage change, press unlock and go to the next wire. At some point, the voltage change won't occur until you hit unlock twice. That might be your horn wire. You might not want to cut it, but better, just remove that pin from the harness.

Now, which is easier, all of that, or not pressing the button twice?

ramblerdan
06-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Anybody got a tech manual?
Service manual:
H&A (http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html) (site sponsor)
Helm Inc. (http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=AHM&Make=AHM&Model=ELEM&Year=2004&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&mscsid=XH17U7D4DV0W9JARKEFL2M57XKM1FTNA)

Electrical troubleshooting manual (http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?session=30CFF5D896CF46178B2B1CADB22513E 4&Style=helm&Mfg=AHM&Make=AHM&Model=ELEM&Year=2007&Category=8&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=)

Now, which is easier, all of that, or not pressing the button twice?

Thanks, guys. We're done here.

MikeQBF
06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Putting this to rest, technically:
... There are only 4 wires going to it: White with red strip, yellow, black, and blue with a red stripe. Which one goes to the horn?
The correct answer? None of them.

White/Red - Unswitched +12V
Yellow - Switched +12V
Black - Ground
Blue/ORANGE - Multiplex Control Unit

The horn 'beep' is controlled by the Multiplex Control Unit, in response to a digital code sequence sent from the Keyless Receiver Unit on the Blue/Orange wire. But clip that wire, and your keyless ceases to work at all, because other digital codes on that same wire lock and unlock the doors.

You cannot do what you ask.