What do you guys use on the plastic interior? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: What do you guys use on the plastic interior?

MotoGene
10-31-2007, 07:02 AM
I don't want to grease it up with Armor all, but I'd like to put some kind of protection on all that plastic. What about the floors, I'm just thinking of using Windex or somthing. I don't want them to be slippery. Any thoughts, the TW ICE was a great tip for the outside.
-MotoGene:)

Twilightzero
10-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Ummmmm...

You're supposed to clean it? News to me...:rolleyes: :lol:

I've been thinking of doing my interior (floors at least, and probably lower walls in back) with Herc-U-Liner to make it even more indestructible :D

Juno
10-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Lately I've been using "Windex Auto" glass & interior cleaner on all the parts that I don't want Armor All on. Works pretty good.

Dom.five
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Wow glad someone had an answer. For a second I thought he was getting Kinky ! :D

I just use soap and water.

It cleans up well with that. I also won't use something that will make it more slippery than it is now.

Dom

ORANGEE
10-31-2007, 11:01 AM
Step 1. Go to the fridge and open a beer, take a drink
Step 2. Open all the doors
Step 3. Take another drink
Step 4. Start at the front working your way to the back - Leaf Blower, this gets all the loose stuff out of your car (I use it to get the dog hair out)
Step 5. Take another drink
Step 6. Light soap and water on a rag to clean all the surfaces.
Step 7. Finish Beer
Step 8. Close all the doors, go take a nap

bh241
10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Step 4. Start at the front working your way to the back - Leaf Blower, this gets all the loose stuff out of your car (I use it to get the dog hair out)
Step 7. Finish Beer
Yea, I do something similar to this...
well, other than steps 1,3,4,5, and 7 :smile:

I use the shop vac, it's just easier for me to use that since the leaf blower is in the shed in the back yard while the shop vac is in the garage.

Now, If I'm at work, I just crank the compressor up to about 145 psi open the doors and have at it... it's almost like a snow storm seeing all the dog hair flying around. (i need to remember not to do this while the boss has his car in the parking lot...)

Seriously, soap and water is all it takes, I clean the whole E inside and out with plain old soap and water.

Twilightzero
10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't clean, I feel it adds character :D

Also I have a moving pad on the floor of the back all the time that catches 99% of the dirt.

funkytown
10-31-2007, 02:52 PM
I use Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer. Armorall is the worst product out there.
I had a Mazda 3 that was black inside (like the E) and it always cleaned it up really well. I've tried all the products out there. I finally have went with the Meguiars line of products because I like the way the car looks after I've cleaned with them. I use the Quik Exterior Detailer to use in between washes/waxes. Does a good job!

fcz1
10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Yea, I do something similar to this...
well, other than steps 1,3,4,5, and 7 :smile:

That's funny. Steps 1, 3, 4, 5 & 7 are the only ones I do! I agree with Twi...the E should have a certain level of filth. It is natural.

When I do clean the interior though, I just use water.

Critical_level2
11-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I just use a swiffer wet. Put it on the end of the stick and clean out the E.

Sunshine
11-01-2007, 07:13 PM
I use Murphy Oil.

:)

biocube
11-01-2007, 07:52 PM
i use the aero 303 uv protectant, or soap and water, depending on the location.

coolmoon
01-24-2008, 05:29 AM
303 on everything even the floor mats really helps the appearance and not slippery at all,plus the outside works great too.

PostShooter
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Step 7. Finish Beer

I am totally amazed that I am not the first person to think of this procedure!! I just came up with it this morning when I saw the collection of cigarette ashes piling up all over the place. Now for two extremely important questions that I'm sure many E owners are wondering about:
1) What beer do you feel works best for you when you clean? &
2) Do you recommend a specific model of leaf-blower? I have a Toro with all the funky cool attachments that works quite well on grass clippings and leaves, but I know that if you're going to take one of those babies into the car, you want to be able to maneuver well to get all the nooks and crannies.

Cheers!

EleStone07
02-28-2008, 07:56 AM
I use the new turtle wax ice interior It really works great.

Shindiggler
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I use Windex but that's only cause I've got a ton of it from Costco. Maybe I'll actually go and get some designed auto interior cleaner, but Windex has been workin fine for me.

cleanteeth68
03-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I used the turtle wax ice to do everything on the inside and it did a great job!! I guess I need to stay away from Armour-All, huh?? The ice even works on the seats!!:)

fullclip101
03-14-2008, 08:32 AM
ive been using armorall wipes...then come in a 3 pack...one for windows, one for cleaning and one for the shine.

E_BikeR
03-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I like the leaf-blower for drying the exterior when the temperature is below freezing, after a bucket wash. Nice way to quickly get the water out of door jams, and lock areas, neighbors hate all the racket, but it sure speeds up the drying process.

I'll have to try it on the interior.

tribalelement
03-14-2008, 11:41 PM
twilightzeros t-shirt :shock:

JayRPHT
03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
I've used Lemon Pledge (ya, the furniture stuff) on all my vehicles for years and I love it... leaves a decent smell too. Not some chemicalish smell like some other things I've tried.

I also use 303 every now and then, but my trial bottle is just about empty.

Twilightzero
03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
twilightzeros t-shirt :shock:

Which one? It better not be the "Hopeless romantic seeks filthy wh0re" one! :mad:

But I have an old Ford shirt you can use :lol:

breese524
03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Well, with the wedding coming up, I decided it was time to detail the get away car...

My rear seats have been removed for moving stuff purposes so that makes access to the rear floor a lot easier.

Here's what I did:
1) Shop-vac the floor
2) Mop floor with Orange Pine-Sol (Go figure it smells like oranges but is not called Orange-Sol)
3) Wipe interior with Meguiars interior detailer
4) Clean windows with product of choice (mine was windex)
5) Realize that while cleaning windows, you marked up your clean floor, wipe with interior detailer

I recommend starting with the windows, moving to the rest of the interior and finishing by cleaning the floors.

Don't use armor-all as it will make your surfaces very slippery.

protaganis
03-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Wet dry vac for the dried salt, sand and other assorted crud that gets tracked in during the winter. Simple Green for the body (inside and out) Windex for the windows. Beer for the soul :cool:
I love the minty smell left from the simple green. I should get a UV protectant, but I haven't had to worry about to much sunlight up here, yet.
An old t-shirt always works best, use it then throw it out (or wash it, depending on it's holiness:grin:)

Goatkeepers
03-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Could someone give me some more info on the Herc-U-Liner? Is it about the same as the rhino liner? Has someone actually done this? The plastic is already starting to scratch and we've just had it for a day *lol*.

Goatkeepers
03-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Bumping up. :D

trichard
03-28-2008, 08:14 PM
From what I read here Armour All is a no-no.

I bought some Turtle Wax Ice Interior Detailer today. (O'Rileys Auto Parts, on sale $7.99)

I'll try it out this weekend and let you know.