best way to measure tire pressure? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: best way to measure tire pressure?

m3th0d
01-05-2008, 02:20 PM
i got a little gadget from Wal-Mart for like 5 bucks and i'm not too sure how accurate it is... and the gauge at the gas station is wacko.

so what's the best way to check?

also, another noob question: is there a machine i can buy to put air into my tires?

lol :D

lizzurd
01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
also, another noob question: is there a machine i can buy to put air into my tires?

lol :D

Any auto parts store and even sporting good stores should have a mini air compressor that will plug intop your 12v power jack. I bought mine for less than $20.

I tend to stay away from the cheapo stick style guage....my preference is a good quality dial guage.

(photos are just for illustration purposes to give an idea of what to look for)

Z-ELEMENT
01-05-2008, 03:39 PM
check your tire pressure when your tires are cold.

fredmertz
01-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Search my posts I posted something on this a while back. Gauges on the
air at a service station are off. Pencil gauges are off by 3-12psi on average. Typical digital gauges 3-7 or more psi. A air compressor who knows but probably isnt very accurate.

See this website http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/4-Garage/44-Tire-Maintenance for gauges. Any of the ones under $50 are accurate within 2psi or less per a survey we did with the $170 gauge which is accurate with 1/2%.

Always take the pressure when cold and out of direct sunlight.

And forget filling your tires with Nitrogen that is old school the big thing now is CO2 which is the latest in F 1 technology. And you can help global warming at the same time.

Fred

dog-e
01-05-2008, 11:32 PM
I tend to stay away from the cheapo stick style guage....my preference is a good quality dial guage.

Note the word "quality" there. I bought a cheap ($5) dial gauge the other day, & it consistently seems to read about 10PSI low... Just because it's a dial, don't assume that it doesn't suck.