Kenwood KVT-617DVD install questions [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Kenwood KVT-617DVD install questions

bluebadger
01-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Hey all,

I'm the newbiest member here. I have a 2005 EX 4WD and I'm looking to put a Kenwood KVT-617DVD with Nav system in.

I've followed the Crutchfield instructions for wiring, which of course, removes the factory amp and subwoofer from the system.

Searching through the forum, I think I have this worked out to wire it back in, but I'm just going through the checklist before starting:

1. I plan to build a harness to with 3 pins, two for the SW preamp and a one for the amp power. The preamp outputs get RCA's which will plug into the receiver unit's SW preamp out plugs (1 RCA into L SW or 2 RCA via splice to both R and L SW).

Making a pinned harness means I won't have to cut off the Red/blue and Red/white wires from their factory connector.

Questions:
1. That's it, right? (as far as getting the SW back into the system)
2. Do I need to wire up the power antenna lead too or just the power amp Blue/white?

3. Will the Receiver box fit in the center console with the monitor unit, or do I need to stash it off to the passenger side?

BigAl205
01-10-2008, 10:39 AM
First of all, welcome to the club! :D

It looks like you have the right idea. The factory antenna is powered so you will need to wire that in along with the amp turn-on lead. There is some space behind and below the radio but I don't know the dimensions of your units so I can't say for sure if it will fit. Good luck.

bluebadger
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
First of all, welcome to the club! :D

It looks like you have the right idea. The factory antenna is powered so you will need to wire that in along with the amp turn-on lead. There is some space behind and below the radio but I don't know the dimensions of your units so I can't say for sure if it will fit. Good luck.

Thanks!

I use my Element for getting out to trailheads and even driving down frozen, snowpacked roads for ice climbing. It is truly awesome.

I'm upgrading the system, so that my daughter (who's gonna get this Element) has GPS onboard without having to think about where she left the receiver. Plus, no telltale suction cup marks on the windshield.

Oh, and I get the new Element :grin:

BigAl205
01-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm curious, how did crutchfield have you wire up the system? Is the head unit wired directly to the speakers or does it hook up at the amp?

bluebadger
01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm curious, how did crutchfield have you wire up the system? Is the head unit wired directly to the speakers or does it hook up at the amp?

The HU is wired directly to the other speakers. The HU is a powered head unit.

Edit to add:

Geez, just did somemore searching after wondering why you asked about the Crutchfield instructions.

Looks like I need to splice in RCA plugs for all speakers. Does that still allow the HU to drive the other speakers or am I just wiring back all to the stock amp?

Is there a specific plug part number that I can pick up or am I in for a complete DIY or cut and splice job?

wastedonanime
01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals%5CKVT617DVD_install.pdf

Refer to page 4 and 5 (look at the wires leading off the page on 4 and the ones coming in on 5). You'll see that the plug that comes with the unit has outputs for the speakers leaving the RCA's for amplifiers. White/Black, Gray/Black, Green/Black, and Purple/Black are your direct leads for LF, RF, LR, RR respectively. My guess is that those RCA outputs are not going to generate anything beyond a signal source.

On a side note, you may want to consider replacing the stock door speakers since you are putting in a new HU. You don't have to break the wallet, but getting just about anything that's at least a reputable company will get you much better sound.

Good luck! Pictures after the install are good as well. Needless to say we're big on pictures.

bluebadger
01-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Arrgh!

I'm so confused!

To wire this thing so that I can use the stock subwoofer:

1. Do I NEED to wire all speakers through the RCAs?
2. When I splice in for RCA's, can I splice in directly behind the stock plug and then run the new spliced RCA's to the preamp outs for L, R and SW?

In the case of splicing in RCA's to all speakers, then the stock Kenwood harness won't be spliced into the any of the speaker pins, correct?

3. By doing this, is the Kenwood HU powering any of the sound or is the stock amp doing all the work?

BigAl205
01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Run the speaker outputs from the Kenwood directly to the speakers. Splice an RCA from the sub out on the kenwood to the pins on the sub input of the factory amp. Hook up the remote lead to the amp and antenna.

(The only reason you would splice RCA's to the other wires would be to use the amp's power for the speakers and the Kenwood would power nothing.)

Hope this helped

Elemen-O-P
01-10-2008, 02:54 PM
1. Do you want to run the speakers off the HU power or the stock amp power?

Option A. If you want to run it off the HU power, then you'll need to bypass the factory amp. This thread explains how. (http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10869&highlight=bypassing+amp) Then run the speakers off the pin harness. YOU CANNOT RUN THE PIN HARNESS THROUGH THE AMP IF YOU WANT TO "HEAR" YOUR FACTORY SUB.

Option B. If you want to run the speakers off the factory amp, then you'll need to cut/splice RCA's onto the factory wiring to plug into your preamp outputs. Refer to this wiring diagram for a guide. (http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3065)

Obviously you're wanting to retain the stock subwoofer, in this case you'll definitely need to cut the factory sub-plug and splice RCA's onto this. Then connect the RCA's to your preamp outputs. Refer to the above diagram for this.
Also, since you're retaining your stock amp and sub, you HAVE to do either option A or B.
In the case of splicing in RCA's to all speakers, then the stock Kenwood harness won't be spliced into the any of the speaker pins, correct?

3. By doing this, is the Kenwood HU powering any of the sound or is the stock amp doing all the work?
Correct, the stock amp will be doing all the work.

bluebadger
01-10-2008, 05:42 PM
1. Do you want to run the speakers off the HU power or the stock amp power?

Option A. If you want to run it off the HU power, then you'll need to bypass the factory amp. This thread explains how. (http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10869&highlight=bypassing+amp) Then run the speakers off the pin harness. YOU CANNOT RUN THE PIN HARNESS THROUGH THE AMP IF YOU WANT TO "HEAR" YOUR FACTORY SUB.

Right. To get to the direct wires to the speakers, I need to run the harness from the new HU out to where the stock amp is, correct? (ie, the direct wires to the speakers are not available in the center console)

Obviously you're wanting to retain the stock subwoofer, in this case you'll definitely need to cut the factory sub-plug and splice RCA's onto this. Then connect the RCA's to your preamp outputs. Refer to the above diagram for this.

Which I can get to from the smaller plug on the back of the stock HU, correct?

This will have the new HU run the F/R speakers and the stock amp run the stock SW with proper volume levels.

Have I finally got it?

Elemen-O-P
01-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Have I finally got it?
close :cool:

Right. To get to the direct wires to the speakers, I need to run the harness from the new HU out to where the stock amp is, correct? (ie, the direct wires to the speakers are not available in the center console)
You shouldn't need to run the harness wire the entire distance if you utilize an adapter harness. An adapter harness plugs onto the factory harness and splices onto the Kenwood harness, which then plugs into the HU.
Once that is done, you remove the passenger kick panel (as explained in the "bypassing the stock amp" thread) cut the appropriate wires heading into and out of the amp and splice them together, thus bypassing the amp.

Here's some shots from the "bypassing" thread that I feel are the most important
These are how the wires should be connected when bypassing the amp.

front left + = white > green/black stripe
front left - = orange > green
front right + = yellow > green/yellow stripe
front right - = brown > blue/yellow stripe
rear left + = red > blue/white stripe
rear left - = green > blue/black stripe
rear right + = blue > pink
rear right - = black > blue/yellow stripe

Here is a picture of my wires before I crimped them. I would recommend crimping all the wires together, but electrical tape will work just fine.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/940070/wires.jpg

And here is a diagram of how the wires line up with eachother when bypassing the stock amp.

You might notice that there are two blue wires with yellows stripes. To determine which is which, just look at the wire right next to it in the plug, and it will be the positive or negative counter-part. Then refer back to this list to see which blue wire with a yellow stripe you are dealing with based on its counterpart. Hope that helps.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/940070/E-WIRE1.jpg