[b]Dog (inside/outside)????[/b] [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: [b]Dog (inside/outside)????[/b]

Mrs Hek
09-19-2003, 04:07 PM
Well as u all know we have a beautiful black lab, that has destroyed many things in my house, he is a very good dog, but when Mr, Hek arrives home, the dog in uncontrollable, and barks and barks, jumps on everyone and destroys everything he grabs..... Our dog is constanly inside the house (the kitchen ) and only goes to the yard to do his thing.. I think that it would be healthy for the dog to have a kennel outside and spend the day outside (depending on the weather conditions) and sleep inside, but Mr, Hek thinks that is not acceptable...I would appreciate your opinions on this matter...thanks!! :roll:

boneheadz
09-19-2003, 04:29 PM
We keep our aussie inside. He does bark like crazy at strangers, but he is not distructive. It might be worth talking to a dog trainer, (I think there is a club member who is a trainer) and find out how to break your dog of his bad habits.

If you do put him outside during the day and he has shelter and water I am sure he would be happy. Only worry would be if he barked all day.

M Ornett
09-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Or try asking for advice on an online message board or searching on one. I go to cbrs4me.com, but that's dedicated to chesapeake bay retrievers, however the following site is dedicated to training retrievers of all types.

http://www.virtualslr.com/forums/

Redpunk
09-19-2003, 09:25 PM
We keep our lab indoors all day but not w/ free reign, she stays in the kithen/dining room behind a baby gate. Pain w/ the hair but we think she's happier that way (indoors).

spldr
09-19-2003, 11:38 PM
Next to Duct tape, the doggie door was the best invention known to man. My Beagles come and go as they please (My yard is fenced, so I don't worry about them going outside) and since I have installed it, my life and worries about bad doggie behavior due to restrictions, inside or out, have pretty much gone away.

HEK
09-20-2003, 06:18 AM
lmao honey...Not to get off the subject but I was the one asking my wife to post but she never had the time...( ehem...but she does for chat rooms amor??..)...well and then I find out about the poll and after reading it :D it gives the impression that we have this "beautiful" wild animal running around destroying things... :roll: ...
Well alike Sgt Friday....just the facts ma'am...: Chico our beloved Lab had done some damage to furniture and the kitchen wooden floor, and as you see I used the past tense...expected from a puppy left home confined in an area sorrounded by wood and with him teething....well sorry but it was "our" fault, so is not that he has destroyed the foundation of our property and will soon collapse, just wood, that will be repaired once I get done with other projects around the house..( too many to list right baby.. :lol: )...so in my defense I can say that when I get home I do appreciate him barking, wagging his tail, running back and forth as a way of greeting me...to me is true LOVE and a behavior that I don't want to take away....but for instance right now he is behind me chewing on his bone, on top of a dog bed and every so often I look back and he senses me staring at him and he wags his tail....now this is my 3rd labrador, so I know the breed, I allow him to run in the yard, play frisbee with him so I know the energy in them and to have him outside in a cage or kennel, well sorry, maybe when he gets a little older i will leave him loose in the back yarda for moments at the time ( we have 1/2 acre ) but I didn't buy Chico to have him out there alone, but to be here inside as part of the family....Wait I forgot Chico was taking weekly for 8 weeks to a dog obedience class and passed with flying colors, he sits, lays, crawls....waits for his food without going bananas.. :D ..so all that for a year old lab....damn do I love him.....
So voters Vote for me and lets start a petition to ban Mrs.Hek from this site......( just kidding honey....c'mon Chico lets go urinate on her side of the bed..... :D :wink: )

Mrs Hek
09-20-2003, 06:44 AM
Thanks to all for your feedback, I will be more patient with Chico and the Man (Mr Hek)....lol.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carrie L
09-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Mrs Mr Hek

If there is a doggie day care center in your area you might consider taking your fur-friend there. It's a great energy-release and socialization opportunity for canines. I have done a lot of research on the topic because I hope to open one in the next couple of years. I believe in the concept for stay-home-alone dogs (latchkey critters?) :wink: . By the end of the day the dogs are in the same state of mind as their humans - just wanting to chill out for the rest of the evening.

Worth a consideration anyway...

M Ornett
09-20-2003, 08:25 PM
In the interests of marital harmony, you all might try having a breakable free zone near the front door. And also, as soon as you walk in, HEK, put Chico into a sit stay while you fuss over him. I gotta do that myself 'cause I have to wear "suit" attire to work and I can't afford to dry clean everything every time I wear them. Plus I have three dogs greeting me when I walk in the door - two chessies and a weim.

My first chessie had what we called a glyptodont tail that was a lethal weapon to anything nearby - could clear a coffee table with one swoop!!

k9disc
04-11-2004, 02:34 PM
[quote:7c2b8f7fcf=" "]Well as u all know we have a beautiful black lab, that has destroyed many things in my house, he is a very good dog, but when Mr, Hek arrives home, the dog in uncontrollable, and barks and barks, jumps on everyone and destroys everything he grabs..... Our dog is constanly inside the house (the kitchen ) and only goes to the yard to do his thing.. I think that it would be healthy for the dog to have a kennel outside and spend the day outside (depending on the weather conditions) and sleep inside, but Mr, Hek thinks that is not acceptable...I would appreciate your opinions on this matter...thanks!! :roll:[/quote:7c2b8f7fcf]

A solution to your problem...

Curbing the bad behavior:

Get a halti collar or gentle leader and leash your dog on the other side of the room from the door when someone is entering. Get some treats.
Leash up the beast with the head collar, and allow your visitor to come inside. Your dog cannot get the visitor, and the more he tries, the more uncomfortable he becomes. He will not like looking at the floor when he is trying to check out your visitors.

Now to shaping the behavior that you want:

Get some good treats, really tasty stuff and follow the above advice. When your dog is behaving and not trying to fight for the door, give him a treat.
Keep treating him as long as he is behaving. He will begin to understand that it is better to sit by you and behave than to go greet newcomers.

Keep him on lead until he gets to greet the guests and calms down.

Outside vs Inside

My guess is that your dog is high energy, and young. Putting him outside in a kennel will do nothing for his destructive nature. He will just move on to barking or digging, or some other compulsive behavior.

What you need to do is to give him mental workouts. Teach him to get the newspaper. Teach him to sit and stay. Work on walking on lead. Play ball or frisbee with him with the focus on mental reaction instead of physical. i.e. - teach him to move to his right or left for the target. Give him a command to go to the right and then immediately throw that direction. Then the left. It should be very challenging for him to get the target. After a few short 5-10 minute sessions, you should notice a reaction to your commands. Get him to move a step, then two, then ten. A five minute mental challenge is better than a half hour of hard physical excercise.

Find a good dog trainer to help you out. Even a very expensive trainer will be cheaper than replacing your furniture and installing a kennel.

You are looking for a trainer who fits their style to the dog, and not someone with one blanket training style.

I would be happy to talk privately about this.

Regards,
Ron

GYPSYTDA
04-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Mr & Mrs Hek you two are a trip.. I got a kick out of your banter..
I see it pointed out by Mr that the problems/damage were during puppy-dom, and have since ceased..

Now if Mrs is having a hard time with behavior or anything when Mr is not there.. i would highly recommend Chico & the Mrs going to obiedence classes together.. he will learn more respect for you, and hence better behavior for you.. all critters have a tendency to behave differently per person.. and maybe Chico has a dark side for the Mrs.

I am so glad you have a well behaved lab, typically the black labs do have better behavior then yellow labs.. and every yellow i have know has been destructive well past puppy hood.. so you have a good well loved well exercise pup this is a good thing.

I have a border collie & am extremely spoiled by his overwhelming perfect behavior!! I had a friend with a yellow lab that destroyed my home with in 10 minutes of his visit here.. so i know how rambuncsaous they can be..

Good luck!

Oh ps, having him outside will not remedy situations especially if he is accustomed to indoor life.. he will destroy the back door to get inside... also he will likely be very mouthy about it.. i am surrounded by labs where i live, and i have a headache from the non-stop barking they do day in day out! highly annoying!!

music&dogs
04-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Lots and lots of exercise helps to calm them down. Sounds like this one needs exercise more than some other dogs might. Just like us, they're all wired differently, that's for sure! Best of luck and let us know how it's going. (It's good to be among a critter crowd.)

GYPSYTDA
04-12-2004, 09:37 AM
labs do require alot of exercise and challenges.. alot..
(as do border collies.. and shepherds, and rotties, and well heck all really but yes different levels.. )

The unfortunate thing is how popular and easy to obtain labs have been over the years, many people keep them in the house.. and they will eat your home.. literally.. due to the lack of attention, exercise and interaction.. they need alot of everything!

Good luck with you labs.. hope things get easier for ya all!