Honda Element Owners Club banner

Foglight Wiring Help

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  lwclancers 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a set of Hella FF75s that I have had for awhile. I plan on installing these on my Accord...as well as a friend who is considering an 05 E! He is leaning towards getting it so, I am of course trying to get him to get it.

Anyways, some help. I need to try to find an online copy of the exact directions that came with my lights...my first quick crack online seems to have turned up older versions.

For the Fog Light pattern (not the driving pattern) of these lights, they show 2 different schematics. The first, is rather simple....the Supply line for the fog light switch gets tapped into the Low beam wire for my headlights. No problem and is legal in my state (VA). So that when the low beams switch to high, they will shut off. This schematic shows 3 light indicators which look like: low beams (2 half circles next to each other), Highs (half circle with straight lines), and a 3rd, that I am not sure of which is a Half circle with lines going down at an angle. My guess is that means the fogs?

The second diagram, shows the same supply from the switch goeing to the low beams. The difference here is that it shows what looks like the ground from the relay going to the high beam wire at the headlight. The ground from the relay in digram 1 goes to the battery ground. This schematic shows 2 light indicators which look like: low beams (2 half circles next to each other) and another of which is a Half circle with lines going down at an angle. Doesnt appear to be a ghigh beam indicator picture.

The first scehmatic seems obvious enough. But the second one is throwing me off...Im really not sure what to expect in that wiring situation. Can anyone elaborate?

As a side note. I can follow #1 easily. But what Id really like to do is have my fogs be able to come on when EITHER the parking lights or the lows are on, but turn off when the high beams are on. Would I tap into the parking lights AND the low beams? Or...just not sure.

Another note is that in VA only 2 sets of lights can be on at a time. On my accord the lows actually stay on when the highs come on (lower wattage). Thus the need to have the fogs off when the highs come on.

So I guess this is a 2 part question and one I have dragged out :) I will try to find the same schematic online so I can paste it here.

See less See more
#7 ·
OK guys, here are the diagrams...Diagram 1 on the left, Diagram 2 on the right. I am now starting to wonder if my first post is right AT all?

So, thoughts on what the 2 different diagrams represent? And then, your thoughts on wiring so that they are on with parking OR lows, but off with highs?

Thanks again!

Attachments

#8 ·
Just glancing at the two schematics it looks to me like the first one will allow the fog lights to come on when either the parking lights, low beam, or high beams are on. The second looks to be just parking lights and low beams. I'm taking some assumptions in the wiring for the car though.

Post the info on the car, and I'll check into the exact wiring for it and draw you up a schematic that will do what you're after - I'll even describe it. :smile:

In the meantime, take a look-see at this page, it might help the whole thing make sense to you.

#9 ·
Damn, thanks! I was wondering after I posted the pics if my initial assumptions were way off...sounds like they might be.

The specific car is a 05 Accord Hybrid w/Honda Nav...bone stock in terms of electric enhancements. The lows actually stay on at a much lower wattage when the highs are switched on (2 separate bulbs).

Let me know if you need any photos to help. I truly appreciate the help!

Once I understand this on mine I am sure I can help my buddy on his E...whenever he decides if hes going to buy one.

#12 ·
OK, here's a copy of the OEM fog light schematic.

Technical drawing Text Diagram Plan Line

It's pretty basic and could easily ( :twisted: ) be adapted for any fog lights.

Here's my recommendation.

Text Technical drawing Diagram Line Plan

Wire 'A' would connect to either the right (white wire with green stripe) or left (white wire with red stripe) high beam power. This wire will be +12v when the high beams are on.

Wire 'B' would connect to either the right (red wire with green stripe) or left (red wire with yellow stripe) low beam power. This wire will be +12v when the low beams are on.

Wire 'C' would connect to any +12v source (battery through a 15 amp fuse - or what ever is recommended by your specific lights) I'm sure someone who has good prints for the accord could give you a good place to actually tap this, but since I don't I would just go with pulling from the battery.

The two relays would be standard 12v automotive SPDT relays (relay #2 could be a SPST) and the connections would be as shown in this picture:

Text Font Line Number Diagram

To wire this up, connect wire 'A' to terminal '85' of relay #1, connect terminal '86' to ground. Connect wire 'B' to terminal '30'. Connect a wire from terminal '87a' to the toggle switch (or whatever style switch you're using).

Take the other terminal of the switch and connect it to terminal '85' of the second relay. Connect terminal '86' to ground. Connect wire 'C' to terminal '30'. Connect terminal '87' to the two fog lights.

Connect the other terminal of the fog lights to ground.

This should allow you to turn the fog lights on only when the low beam headlights are on, if you turn the high beams on, the first relay kicks in and effectively works just like turning the switch off. Once the headlights go back to low beam the fogs come back on. - unless of course the switch is turned off.

Make sense?

#13 ·
Holy Cow...thanks for the write up!

I think it makes sense...but Im only looking at it on paper :)

Question: When you saw the 2 diagrams I posted, it SOUNDS like your comment on diagram 2 is actually what I would want. Is that indeed still true, after considering everything?

I only ask because it only uses the one relay that cames with the fogs...but taps into the parking and lows (at least thats what your first impression was).

If so I think I can accomplish that by using that diagram, and avoiding the double relay you have proposed...yes?

My weird chance, do you happen to know what wire color is the parking light and what is the low beam? Just so when I tap into them (if I do follow diagram 2) I have an extra reference. I know I can check them with a meter, but I wanted to verify here first with someone who knows what they are talking about.

#14 ·
My weird chance, do you happen to know what wire color is the parking light and what is the low beam? Just so when I tap into them (if I do follow diagram 2) I have an extra reference. I know I can check them with a meter, but I wanted to verify here first with someone who knows what they are talking about.
I *think* the parking lights wire is the red wire with the black stripe. The low beam is red wire with yellow stripe (left side) and red wire with a green stripe (right side). Again - I do not have one, so I am relying on 'the internet'...

Question: When you saw the 2 diagrams I posted, it SOUNDS like your comment on diagram 2 is actually what I would want. Is that indeed still true, after considering everything?

I think you probably could - but what worries me is that the low beams stay on when the high beams come on. If that's the case then it's easier to monitor the high beam circuit to determine when the lights go into high beam. Thus the two relay setup...

#15 ·
Ah, good point. Something must be different though to signal the lows to "dim down" once the highs are flipped on.

I hope to get to this soon, but you never know what might come up...so if I let this slip, I will be sure to revive it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.