Worn out tires.... [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Worn out tires....

bighc2000
09-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Well, I have 12,500 miles on my E. Rotated once at 10k. All 4 are worn out. I am not a wild driver. I do a lot of city and short trips. The H dealer said it is not heir problem it is the tire manufacturers. The local tire dealr says the GY HP tires do not have a mileage warranty. A new tire is 129 installed.

Any one with an experience similar to mine? What should I do next (save buying a new set)? I am going to the dealer to raise holy hell tomorrow.

BriBoy01
09-24-2003, 08:50 PM
i have 22000 miles on mine and they are shot as well... i am very disappointed with these tires I understand car makers use cheap tires to keep prices down but this is an outrage. The last vehicle I bought was a Chevy Silverado with the Z71 off road package the dealer bragged up all about the suspension skid plates yadayadayada well within 1 month I had rocks ran through 2 of them... so honda isnt the only one cheaping out.

Alien Element
09-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Not that this has anything to do with your problem, but I had to get a full set of tires on my 1992 Eclipse only six months after buying it. Turned out that the front end was out of alignment and all four tires were improperly inflated. I always thought the front end was off, but the service guy told me that I was experiencing the effects of torque steer. I didn't know any better because this was my first front wheel drive car. I check for this stuff myself now, so this kind of thing won't happen again.

Element
09-26-2003, 04:52 PM
It's very odd the factory good year tires don't even come with a mileage warranty???

I got 6,700 miles on mines and it dosen't look too bad. So i assume it should last up to 22K posted earlier.

I have never gotton less than 35K on a new set of tires in my life, even from a no name company :?

Nat
09-27-2003, 09:11 AM
I just had to replace one tire at 16,000 miles for a fatal screw through the tread into the side wall. Up on the lift all four tires have more obvious wear on the outside portion of the tread approximately 1" wide. My mechanic says this is an alignment issue. Well I'm an adult driver who does 90% hwy driving. All four tires having the same type of wear is a factory issue. BEWARE of alignment issues combined with inflation as it relates to tire wear.

Alien Element
09-27-2003, 09:53 AM
I agree with you Nat. I think the first thing that you should do after purchasing ANY new vehicle is have the alignment and tire pressure checked. Otherwise, you may end up paying out several hundred dollars for replacements only months afterward.

BriBoy01
09-27-2003, 11:35 PM
I check my tire pressure VERY regularly because of this exact reason. Now the alignment issue may be a different story...and one i will look into.

Oak Lawn Element
09-28-2003, 06:35 AM
I've always liked/trusted Goodyear tires, but feel the root of the problem with the stock E tires is that they are too small for the size/weight of the E.

I put 235/70-16 Goodyear Fortreras on before the E was a couple of months old. Ride, handling and looks all improved. But, as with the stock tires, air pressure seems to be really critical on the E. Even a few lbs low really kicks into the mpg, so I've made a habit of checking them every Sunday evening. :wink:

LadyJane
10-06-2003, 03:35 PM
I had my tires rotated at 8000 miles because the front ones were looking so worn. I was thinking the alignment must be off, but they assured me it was fine and the tire pressure was fine. Now I have 9600 and all four are looking really worn. Has anyone called Honda on this?

LittleDogBox
10-06-2003, 08:34 PM
[quote:512a01bd6a="LadyJane"]I had my tires rotated at 8000 miles because the front ones were looking so worn. I was thinking the alignment must be off, but they assured me it was fine and the tire pressure was fine. Now I have 9600 and all four are looking really worn. Has anyone called Honda on this?[/quote:512a01bd6a]

I have only had my Element for 5 months and at 3200 miles the front tires are worn on the outside tread. Arrrrrrrrg. It's going into the shop this week. For heaven's sake whoever heard of tires starting to wear out at only 3,200 miles.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

cdbike
10-12-2003, 09:11 AM
I took someone's advice (from this forum) and purchased the extra warranty from Discount Tires. For about $16 a tire, I was able to purchase the hazard protection - so if I mishap does happen - I will get either a free tire(s) or a prorated one!

I had about 2000 miles when I purchased this, and I had all the tires rotated as well -as I was noticing that 1" of worn tire on the outside tread. The guys thought I was nuts for rotating them so soon! But now at 6000, I'm noticing that 1" worn line again.....

No Idea! When it comes time to change all tires, I will switch the brand and perhaps go one size up.

C

LadyJane
10-12-2003, 10:46 AM
I'm coming up on 10,000 miles and it looks like I already need a new set of tires. I haven't had any flats or anything, so I don't think the warranty would have done me any good. All four tires just look terribly worn around the edges. The dealer checked my tire pressure and it's fine. I'm thinking the tires weren't the right size and/or didn't have enough durability for the E. Shouldn't Honda make good on this mistake?

Kigotai
10-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Ya know, I seem to remember the Wranglers on my brand new Trooper in 94 wearing out pretty quickly. After I replaced 'em with Kelly tires they lasted a lot longer 9Except for the time I forgot to rotate 'em) So, I am wonderig if the stock Wranglers just aren't meant to wear a long time anyhow.

Kayakin' Dan
10-12-2003, 07:58 PM
You do realize you have Goodyear Wranglers, right? Go ask Goodyear what the life expectancy is of your tires...20k miles, if rotated at the appropriate intervals. They're cheap ass tires, You bought your e's for $20k more or less...You expected 70k mile Michelins? :roll:

When they wear out, go buy better tires. You can replace the ones you have for about $70 each, or you can go out and buy the 70k mile Michelins for around $225 each...Your call.

dracki
10-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Right on point, Kayakin' Dan. You really do get what you pay for...especially where the rubber meets the road!

Nat
10-23-2003, 11:23 AM
I returned my E to the dealer. They were responsive and will do the 4 wheel drive alignment for free. The manual says do a tire alignment every 20,000 miles. I currently have 19,000 miles. The dealer stepped up to the plate. Kudos to Planet Honda in Union, NJ.

Slowhand
10-24-2003, 06:47 AM
Dan what's the model no./size of the Michelins? Are they good in snow?

MatT3T4
10-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Fuggheddaboutit...Crappy tires are just my excuse to buy some new rims too...hehe :lol:

Nat
10-27-2003, 03:47 PM
I took my E into the dealer today for a 4 wheel alignment. Planet Honda did come through and cover the alignment under the warrenty because of "abnormal"tire wear. The E came back within normal limits on each of the alignment points. From here the speculation started as to what could be causing more wear on the outter 1" of tread on all 4 tires. Everything from it's a truck and it's not gonna corner the same as a car thus more outter tread wear, to they are Goodyear tires (get-it, good-for-a-year) tires, take yer pick.