Best size/type of tire on *stock* EX wheels? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Best size/type of tire on *stock* EX wheels?

hijax2001
09-27-2003, 04:28 PM
:?: Opinion requested: :?:

What do you think is the best size/type of all-weather tire to put on the *stock* EX wheels that would be a balance of both better performance/handling (than the factory Goodyear's) and yet continue to provide good gas mileage?

I'm looking for a lower profile that would hug the road better. Not ready to spend the money on new wheels yet.

Still want to keep the gas mileage as high as possible as well.

Will also need decent handling in the occasional snow we receive here in Missouri in the winter.

(I want it all, right...)

Ideas, ideas, ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Alien Element
09-27-2003, 07:18 PM
You do realize that if you change the overall diameter of your wheel/tire combination that your speedometer will be off and your final gear ratio will be effected.

hijax2001
09-28-2003, 11:57 AM
[quote:43f0423306="Alien Element"]You do realize that if you change the overall diameter of your wheel/tire combination that your speedometer will be off and your final gear ratio will be effected.[/quote:43f0423306]

I understand the speedometer issue.

What affect will the gear ratio issue have on my vehicle? Please be more specific.

Oak Lawn Element
09-28-2003, 02:03 PM
[quote:b66381ab8e="hijax2001"][quote:b66381ab8e="Alien Element"]You do realize that if you change the overall diameter of your wheel/tire combination that your speedometer will be off and your final gear ratio will be effected.[/quote:b66381ab8e]

I understand the speedometer issue.

What affect will the gear ratio issue have on my vehicle? Please be more specific.[/quote:b66381ab8e]

Moving to a 235/70-16 means that when the speedo reads 60mph, I'm actually doing 62.4mph. This is a minor difference, IMO, but one you need to be aware of to avoid unnecessary chats with your local constabulary on the side of the road! :wink:

Conceivable, this takes a smidgen away from your off the line power, but could be said to help lower your highway rpm. In both cases, the difference is extremely minor - right at negligible.

hijax2001
09-28-2003, 03:21 PM
Just looking around the threads a bit (and per the previous post), it does appear that 235/70-16's are a common replacement size. I'm assuming for the same reasons I'm looking for, but I could not confirm.

The Kumho Ecsta STX has that nice low-profile look I want...

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_stx_ci3_l.jpg
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_stx_ci2_l.jpg

...but I'm not so sure about their road noise and traction in the snow.

The automated tire selection tool at tirerack.com said the Goodyear Eagle RS-A was the best mix for handling, low road noise and tread wear. However, I read horrible reviews on different sites about their inability to handle wet pavement and snow.

Still trying to narrow down some ideas...

Alien Element
09-28-2003, 07:32 PM
That is a nice profile tire, but there ain't no way that is a 235/70-16 you have a picture of. That size tire has a sidewall height of 6.5 inches and the picture you show is probably 4 inches or a little less.

FYI: If you want to figure out tire sizes start with the first number, in this case its 235. This is how wide the tread is in centimeters. To convert this to inches for us Americans who refuse to go metric, divide this number by 25.4 ( 235/25.4 = 9.25 ). So your 235 is equivalent to 9.25 inches wide. The sidewall height is determined by the second number, in this case the number is 70. Take the width, 9.25 inches, and multiply it by .70 to get the sidewall height ( 9.25*.70 = 6.48 ). So the sidewall height is 6.48 inches. To take things one step further, you can determine the overall tire/wheel diameter by multiplying the sidewall height by 2 and adding the wheel size [ ( 6.48*2 )+16 = 28.96 ].

These Kumho's when mounted on your wheels will be 28.96 inches in diameter. The stock tires have an overall diameter of 27.85 inches, so the tires you are talking about are actually taller! To get a smaller sidewall, you need to make sure the second number is lower, like 60 or less. Just use the formulas above to figure out what size you want!

Andy-Montreal
10-08-2003, 01:47 PM
My understanding is that to maintain the same diameter as a stock 215/70 R16 tire, you must go with a 235/65 R16. The problem is that our stock mags are only 5.5" wide which may not be able to support a 60's series tire.

I know because I'm going thru the same ordeal right now with my tire expert.

firetruck41
10-08-2003, 05:12 PM
There should be no problem with any particular profile (ie. 60 series,70 series, etc.) on the stock wheels. The issue is the first number (ie. 215, 235, 245, etc.) which indicates tread width. If it is too wide, or too narrow it will not fit the wheel correctly and can cause a problem. Many tire manufacturers list the minimum and maximum wheel width which a particular tire will fit on.

Einstein
10-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Pull your rims and look behind the spokes. If your wheels are like mine, on one of the spokes you will see a "6", and directly below it "1/2". The stock wheels are 16x6.5, not 5.5 (unless Canadian wheels are different).

I was originally going to go with 235/60, but seeing how the wheel wells support winter 225/70's with room to spare, I'm going with 235/70's instead. The Kumho tires look like an excellent choice (O.D. spec is 29.0" vs. the stock's spec of 27.7").

Try finding 235/65's... although they would be the "best" size, there are very few tires avaialable in that particular size.

If you absolutely must stay with the original size, Michelin Pilot LTX's look very inviting (H speed rating, larger actual size than stock despite the same numeric size)

[quote:552c75e88b="Andy-Montreal"]My understanding is that to maintain the same diameter as a stock 215/70 R16 tire, you must go with a 235/65 R16. The problem is that our stock mags are only 5.5" wide which may not be able to support a 60's series tire.

I know because I'm going thru the same ordeal right now with my tire expert.[/quote:552c75e88b]

Cheshire Jav
10-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Ok I'm looking at these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H%2FT+Y816&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=17SR6GEOHT&fromCompare1=yes
I think it's exactly what I'm looking for! :D

Andy-Montreal
11-06-2003, 05:27 PM
I finally replaced those noisy Goodyear Wranglers with decent tires. Since I wanted to keep the stock mag, I opted for the Bridgestone Dueler 684 II.

These 235/65-16 tires are one size wider than the skinny stock tires that don't do the E any justice. Because they are OEM tires on the Saturn Vue (only vehicle that uses them), they set me back $200CAN each! By using this size, you can achieve a wider look without affecting the speedo reading.

B.T.W., this size is the widest you can go on the Honda rims.

ChumsGum
11-07-2003, 09:35 AM
http://www.hondaelement.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=23675

http://www.hondaelement.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3351

"Finally got my bfg's size 225 70 r 16's at discount tire. I had ordered the 235 70r 16's but the front tires rubbed. Anyway, here's pic.s of a little off roading."

I'm going with these BFGs, they look awesome.

Andy-Montreal
11-07-2003, 12:27 PM
You might also wanna buy an inclinometer to monitor those steep grades you're climbing! Wow, the truck looks great! I hope your speedo wasn't off by too much.

ChumsGum
11-08-2003, 12:04 AM
[quote:56b5059f1b="Andy-Montreal"]You might also wanna buy an inclinometer to monitor those steep grades you're climbing! Wow, the truck looks great! I hope your speedo wasn't off by too much.[/quote:56b5059f1b]

Oh that's not my truck, I just found that thread from one of the other Element boards.

boneheadz
11-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know if running with a tire this big will cause any damage to the drive train, or viod the warrenty? If so, I have been told about using a chip to change the gearing to prevent problems. Is this BS?

Andy-Montreal
11-13-2003, 12:55 PM
[quote:e5f397d7cc=" "]Does anyone know if running with a tire this big will cause any damage to the drive train, or viod the warrenty? If so, I have been told about using a chip to change the gearing to prevent problems. Is this BS?[/quote:e5f397d7cc]

Provided that all four tires are the same size, is it highly unlikely that the drivetrain can be damaged. Largely oversized tires can and will put additional stress on front suspension and steering components over time. Another thing to look out for is tire rub and interference with body/chassis. This can be a dangerous situation when running at higher speeds or emergency braking with large tires and lowered suspension.

In addition to potential speedo error when using larger tires, if the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo is larger than stock, the acceleration time of the vehicle will ba affected although top end will be increased. A modified chip can only prolong shift points on an automatic tranny but it will not prevent "Bog" during acceleration. The only solution to this is gear replacement.....I think not!