Winter Tires / Rims [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Winter Tires / Rims

clivek
10-02-2003, 01:56 PM
I purchased an 2003 Element "Y" (EX for the US I think) and do not want to get the rims ruined in our LONG LONG Salty winter.

Does anyone have recommendations for purchasing steel rims and tires. I have been told by some that I have to buy the Honda rims, which are really going to be a rip off. Are there old Honda models that use the same size as the E? Are there places (canada) that sell new steel rims to fit the E?

Any comments on winter tires to buy? I have a 2WH drive version so really counting on good tires and weight to get me to the ski hills and backcountry.

Thanks All. :D

Alien Element
10-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Why would they have to be Honda wheels? Is that a Canadian thing? As long as they are 5x114.3 bolt pattern and have an offset that doesn't make them rub when you turn the steering wheel, any reputable maker of aftermarket wheels should do.

Landstander
10-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi clivek

I am going to try a set of 15" Jeep wheels as my Element's winter wheels. The 5x114.3 bolt pattern is also referred to as 5x4.5 (inches), which is what my Jeep wheels are. The Jeep wheels have an offset of 35mm, and most Honda wheels have an offset of 40-42mm. I don't think the 5-7mm difference will be a problem, but a test fit is necessary.
I will either be going with a 215/75/15 or 225/75/15 size tire. The 215/75/15 tire is just a tiny bit smaller than the 215/70/16 that is standard, and the 225/75/15 is just slightly bigger. There is a decent selection of tires available in these sizes and they tend to be cheaper than the 16" tires. There is a handy tire size calculator at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html.
I haven't done this yet, but I need to get my winter setup running soon. I will report back when this is complete.

bozz
10-03-2003, 10:22 AM
I got a set of 03 Accord EX V6 wheels (7 spoke, 16") off of Ebay and put Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Duelers (215/70/16) on them. Should look sweet and provide lots of nice ice and snow traction!

Landstander
10-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Update - the Jeep wheels did not properly fit the Element. The bolt pattern is the same, but the offset is not correct (unless you like your wheels to stick out an inch or two past the fenders). I ended up getting a set of 15" steel wheels and hubcaps from Discount Tire along with some studded 225/75/15 tires. It's actually cheaper to buy 4 steel wheels and 4 15" snow tires than to buy 4 16" snow tires. Over time it will be a significant cost savings to buying the 15" tires, and my OEM 16" wheels will probably look better from skipping winter duty.

Cheers!

boxonw
10-24-2003, 04:38 PM
[quote:04d474f317="Landstander"]Update - the Jeep wheels did not properly fit the Element. The bolt pattern is the same, but the offset is not correct (unless you like your wheels to stick out an inch or two past the fenders). I ended up getting a set of 15" steel wheels and hubcaps from Discount Tire along with some studded 225/75/15 tires. It's actually cheaper to buy 4 steel wheels and 4 15" snow tires than to buy 4 16" snow tires. Over time it will be a significant cost savings to buying the 15" tires, and my OEM 16" wheels will probably look better from skipping winter duty.

Cheers![/quote:04d474f317]

How much do DT charged you for the rims and tires?

Landstander
10-24-2003, 04:45 PM
How much do DT charged you for the rims and tires?

Total with taxes was $411. That included lug nuts (can't use the stock ones), hubcaps, 4 steel wheels and the 4 15" studded snow tires plus their extended warranty/replacement deal.

boxonw
10-24-2003, 04:50 PM
That is a decent price.
Have a great time dashing thru the snow :D

Take care,

ALMONDOG
10-24-2003, 06:57 PM
they have steel rims for the element for about 40.00 each on tires.com

PVR
10-10-2004, 12:25 AM
[quote:052a9cdd85=" "]Update - the Jeep wheels did not properly fit the Element. The bolt pattern is the same, but the offset is not correct (unless you like your wheels to stick out an inch or two past the fenders). I ended up getting a set of 15" steel wheels and hubcaps from Discount Tire along with some studded 225/75/15 tires. It's actually cheaper to buy 4 steel wheels and 4 15" snow tires than to buy 4 16" snow tires. Over time it will be a significant cost savings to buying the 15" tires, and my OEM 16" wheels will probably look better from skipping winter duty.

Cheers![/quote:052a9cdd85]

I'm resurrecting this old but I hope not dead thread because I have the same questions. It is certainly true that there are a lot more winter tire choices in this neck of the woods for 15" wheels. The 215/75/15 or 225/75/15s are a lot cheaper too. I would probably go with the 215 width because I find narrower is better in the deep snow and the rolling diameter is closer to stock.

I really like Nokian Hakkas for winter but it looks like I am out of luck with the E. :cry:

Anyway, I am trying to locate some wheels that have the proper bolt pattern and offset just as Landstander did.

Anybody able to assist? Any common 15" wheels from other Hondas (or other makes) that fit?

paulj
10-10-2004, 01:02 AM
There has been an attempt to collect experiences with tires and wheels in one place in the 'performance' subforum.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9618

There seems to be more interest in going up in wheel size, than in going down. This price and availability arguement is a good one for switching to 15", especially for winter tires. The main thing I'd watch out for is clearance around the brakes.

paulj

PVR
10-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Thanks paulj

Yeah I saw that thread. I sure like the looks of the big wheels but they are not practical or economical for me in snow. Have been and done a little of that kind of mod for other vehicles but I need the E to get me through the mountains this winter. We Canadians away from the coast (and of course Americans in the snow belt) need real winter tires and dropping down to 15" wheels gives us a lot more (and cheaper) choices as I said so I need to find a source of wheels.

Your point about brake clearance is a good one. Not only am I a newb to the club but I'm also new to Hondas hence the, perhaps obvious, question about whether other Honda wheels in 15" sizes will fit (given the Civic/CR-V underpinnings of the E).

paulj
10-10-2004, 02:31 AM
You may have found, in this thread, the only case of someone successfully putting 15" rims on their Element :-)

hownowcb
10-11-2004, 11:44 PM
The paint on the factory alloy rims is far superior to that on the factory steel rims, so why are you worried in the first place? My EX rims survived a winter's worth of salt, and all that, with zero obvious detrimental effects. And my OEM tires performed just fine too, thank you. Worry on! (I don't live in the sunbelt, either!) Seems lots of people are quick to dismiss the OEM tires, especially for winter use, but they come across as a bunch of elitist snobs to me. I love winter-specific tires and rims, but it's overkill on this vehicle, from my one full winter's humble experience.

But hey, it's your money; not mine! :P

lizzurd
10-11-2004, 11:55 PM
After 2 winters with and without snow tires i can honestly say the OEM goodyears are crap in snow compared to the Michelin Alpins i intalled last winter..Am i an elitist snob?.........i dont think so.........

hownowcb
10-12-2004, 03:06 AM
"compared to" is easy for some to say. I'm simply not in a position (economically) to be able to afford summer and winter tires and rims. I have no doubt that your winter-specific tires easily outperform the OEM tires in winter conditions. I never intended to suggest or imply otherwise! I simply put forward the concept that the OEM tires are actually just FINE for most people's year-round "needs". Prudent driving habits in normal to moderate winter conditions are not particularly challenging for what comes as standard equipment on an Element.

By the same token, some people might feel safer wearing helmets inside their Elements. That's all well and good, but overkill, in my opinion. Which is not to say I'm against winter-specific tires - only that I think they're not essential for most people.

Are some people elitist snobs on this site for their held opinions? I certainly assume that I am -- about a lot of things. I just can't afford to "act out" on all of them anymore. And don't want others to feel mislead into thinking their brand new Honda Element is somehow hideously "deficient" just because some people (like you lizzurd, specifically, though I know you're not alone) don't like the OEM tires.

(My opinion was "equally unpopular" last fall when many were running around fretting that the sky was falling, so feel free to fling snow at me anytime. My Element and I handled it just fine last winter on OEM tires, so I think I can manage just fine this coming winter, too.)

mquetel
10-12-2004, 09:15 AM
[quote:b612c9cad4="PVR"]

I'm resurrecting this old but I hope not dead thread because I have the same questions. It is certainly true that there are a lot more winter tire choices in this neck of the woods for 15" wheels. The 215/75/15 or 225/75/15s are a lot cheaper too. I would probably go with the 215 width because I find narrower is better in the deep snow and the rolling diameter is closer to stock.

I really like Nokian Hakkas for winter but it looks like I am out of luck with the E. :cry:

Anyway, I am trying to locate some wheels that have the proper bolt pattern and offset just as Landstander did.

Anybody able to assist? Any common 15" wheels from other Hondas (or other makes) that fit?[/quote:b612c9cad4]

I really like Hakkas also... they have been great on my other car. According to their North America website: http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=29&w=1 their Hakka SUV line should be available this fall in the standard E size of 215/70/16. Of course, actually finding them is completely different. I was at a local tire store yesterday and they guy swore up and down that the size did not exist. :roll:

PVR
10-12-2004, 11:53 AM
[quote:18d6dd1613="hownowcb"]The paint on the factory alloy rims is far superior to that on the factory steel rims, so why are you worried in the first place? My EX rims survived a winter's worth of salt, and all that, with zero obvious detrimental effects. And my OEM tires performed just fine too, thank you. Worry on! (I don't live in the sunbelt, either!) Seems lots of people are quick to dismiss the OEM tires, especially for winter use, but they come across as a bunch of elitist snobs to me. I love winter-specific tires and rims, but it's overkill on this vehicle, from my one full winter's humble experience.

But hey, it's your money; not mine! :P[/quote:18d6dd1613]

It's partly an issue of protecting the alloys (they do deteriorate after a few years in salt) but it's also a convenience and cost issue. Swapping over tires onto rims has to be done by a shop -if I have winter tires on rims I can do the change over myself.

On the issue of tires, the OEM Wranglers just won't cut it for me. I have used these tires before. Everybody's needs are different but, for example, if I drive over the Coast Range to Vancouver I can get everything from snow to slush to rain to ice to bare pavement all in the space of 4 1/2 hours. If I go east I can get into a blizzard in the Monashees in about 45 minutes from home even though it was sunny and above freezing when I left. In the part of the world I live in winter weather is pretty unpredicable. I need a good set of proper winter tires with good ice traction.

[quote:18d6dd1613="hownowcb"]...By the same token, some people might feel safer wearing helmets inside their Elements. That's all well and good, but overkill, in my opinion. ...[/quote:18d6dd1613]
BTW I only wear a helmet when I am mountain biking or snowboarding. :wink:

DOGBOX
10-12-2004, 01:09 PM
It really does depend on what part of the planet you drive. Here in the NW I would never drive anything without AWD or 4WD, with a minimum of all season tires. It is too easy to be caught in the "unexpected"situation--esp with ice. Sure, there are folks who driver 2WD, FWD or even RWD vehicles. I have passed them as they sit on the side of the road (at times in the gutter) on a bad weather day. At least once or twice a year I feel that AWD kick in and count my blessings that it is there. Even though that might not be a common situation, once is all you need to break a leg, smash your car, or worse.

PVR
10-12-2004, 04:15 PM
[quote:fb833fdbf0="mquetel"]...

I really like Hakkas also... they have been great on my other car. According to their North America website: http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=29&w=1 their Hakka SUV line should be available this fall in the standard E size of 215/70/16. Of course, actually finding them is completely different. I was at a local tire store yesterday and they guy swore up and down that the size did not exist. :roll:[/quote:fb833fdbf0]

Yeah, I got the same response from a local store :x

I'm holding off on buying tires a little while longer anyway (we don't even get our E until the first week of November) so maybe the local shops will have some info on the Hakka SUVs by then

hownowcb
10-12-2004, 07:36 PM
I appreciate your thoughtful and specific responses. Your locations obviously call for more extreme measures! Having lived in a rural environment in a previous life, I respect those circumstances because I dealt with them essentially the same way. And yes, having the winter treads mounted on dedicated (sacrificial) rims was the way to go for the exact reasons you stated.

My concern has simply been that some people seem overly quick to dismiss the OEM tires as some kind of utterly inadequate junk, when in reality, even in a city like St. Paul (where we average 48+ inches of annual snowfall) 95% of winter driving is done on bare, dry pavement, where winter specific tires tend to perform worse than the OEM's.

juggled
10-13-2004, 01:22 PM
I just got 4 new Mastercraft Courser MSR(mud & snow radial) 215/70R16. They were inexpensive $277 mounted balanced, out the door. I know a guy that moves houses, and he uses these tires exclusively on his truck. He put 60k miles on a set and still had half the tread. I think I am going to just use them year round. The only problem I see is that the gas milage might not be as good. I have noticed that the ride is a little(not much) rougher, but I like it rough anyways so not really a problem.
Always remember with the alloy rims to check your lug nuts after 100 miles of changing a tire. Alloys are known for coming loose.

Tom B

paulj
10-15-2004, 02:05 AM
Was this friend with 60K miles on his tires using the MSR specifically, or one of the other Courser models? There isn't a wear rating for these 'winter' tires, but most such tires use a soft fast wearing rubber. Some of the other Courser's do have a wear rating in excess of 500. such as HTR which is giving me good wear on my RAV4.

If the MSRs do wear well, then they are a good choice for year around use in northern or mountain climes.

paulj

juggled
10-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I belive he is using the MSR. He needs the extra traction they provide when moving houses.
Tom B

drphun
10-15-2004, 10:51 AM
The Honda rims are different because of the shape of the lugs. Most wheels use a conical lug, but the Honda ones are spherical. If you get non Honda wheels, you also need new lugs.

Lots of people take their wheels off, especially the steel ones, and upgrade them. I bought a set of almost new steel wheels for my snow tires off of ebay for $30 from a dealer about an hour from me. He would have charged an extra $50 to ship, but I picked them up. Tehre are also people selling them on this list.

Good luck,

DOGBOX
10-15-2004, 02:00 PM
I like the $30 price for the steel rims. I looked at H&A and they don't sell the steel rims. Anyone know of a good place to get them? Of course, I will check E-bay too.

paulj
10-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Are you specifically interested in the Honda DX steel rims, or just any steel rim of the right size? Your local dealer should be able to order the DX rims for you, or may even have some hanging around from an upgrade. Most any tire dealer should be able to get steel rims of the right size for you (may not have the Honda conical lugnut seats). Tirerack lists theirs for about $45. The steel rim of my Toyota RAV4's spare fits fine on the Element.

paulj

PVR
10-16-2004, 12:20 PM
I appear to have lucked into some rims. One of the local dealers has a store of Pilot steel rims from a customer who upgraded at the time of purchase. For $CDN65 ea he will also include the centre caps. Plain 16" steel wheels are at least $55 each around here so I'll check it out today.

After all that it looks like I will be sticking with stock sized wheels and tires for winter. NOW I have to find a good deal on snow tires - I am NOT paying $170 ea for Michelin Latitute X-ices. :x

DOGBOX
10-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Guess it depends on the price. I would prefer the Honda ones. Try to keep the E looking it's nicest even in winter. But I wouldn't pay some outrageous price for them if you can get generic steel rims much cheaper.

I looked on E Bay. There wasn't much there at this time.

Theelements
10-17-2004, 01:08 AM
you could try checking for symalar rims for other cars, like another makes stockers, with the same lug pattern on ebay

drphun
10-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Anotehr reason why a second set of rims is a good idea for snow tires is that the bead on the tire can be damaged when they are changed, especially on snow tires where the rubber is softer. At the start of the third season, it will be the third mounting for the tires and teh chance of damage will start to get pretty high.

Also consider that while the snow tires are on the E, the regular tires are not wearing. If the snow tires lasted as long as regular tires (they don't) and cost the same, the total tire cost over the life of the E would not go up.

Regards,

drphun
10-18-2004, 12:09 PM
[quote:94bf3717a0=" "]you could try checking for symalar rims for other cars, like another makes stockers, with the same lug pattern on ebay[/quote:94bf3717a0]

Some of the Honda minivans used the same size rims, although some used 15" rims.

fhaxton
10-19-2004, 12:07 AM
Just got my Hakkapeliitta CQ's from etires.com last week. Also ordered
the steel wheels from tirerack.com. The tires are 215/75/16.
I will mount them next week & tell you about the clearance. The tires
look awsome. The CQ is a commercial tire for vans with the same soft
rubber compound as the passenger tire "Q". I'll let you know next
week about the clearance.

DOGBOX
10-19-2004, 12:45 PM
That's pretty much how I feel about it drphun. Taking tires on and off just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. The extra cost is primarily in the extra set of rims, which is a one time, up-front investment.

PVR
10-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Bought the Pilot rims for $65 ea including centre caps - sweet deal 8) and they are really nice looking.

Now, I've got the Honda lug nut problem too paulj. I was told the nuts from the OEM alloys won't work. Is that true? Dealer wants about $5.00 a nut (with tax) :roll:

Wish I could get those Hakka CQ's fhaxton. The Qs have now been discontinued and we have a real shortage of Nokian tires of any sort around here. How much were the CQs?

paulj
10-19-2004, 07:28 PM
There was a thread that discussed whether DX and LX lugnuts were interchangable. DX lugnuts have a washer that helps hold on the center hub. I don't know whether matters apply to Pilot rims.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Pilot&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=5DR+LX&catcgry4=KL5AT&catcgry5=WHEEL+DISKS+%281%29

lists Pilot lugs for about $1.60US.

paulj

Theelements
10-19-2004, 07:41 PM
thats a really good deal, 56 bucks!

PVR
10-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I notice that the washer also lists for US$1.60 ea. Maybe that's where the dealer gets his Cdn$5.00 from (nut + washer). Anyway, I have heard that there is a flanged lug nut available (to hold the centre cap) so I will check that out.

As for tires, I think I will go for some cheaper Goodrich or Cooper model with lots of sipes and reasonably deep tread. The E won't be driven at high speed in the winter (maybe not in the summer either!) so I can't see getting high performance ( and multi $$) winters for this vehicle.

espresso
11-13-2004, 12:50 PM
[quote:6134f1fe2d=" "]Bought the Pilot rims for $65 ea including centre caps - sweet deal 8) and they are really nice looking.

Now, I've got the Honda lug nut problem too paulj. I was told the nuts from the OEM alloys won't work. Is that true? Dealer wants about $5.00 a nut (with tax) :roll:

Wish I could get those Hakka CQ's fhaxton. The Qs have now been discontinued and we have a real shortage of Nokian tires of any sort around here. How much were the CQs?[/quote:6134f1fe2d]

I got Pilot rims from my local Honda dealer here in Edmonton for $50 each, including centre caps! They do look great. The dealer sold me the matching nuts and washers for $3.49 (Cdn) each. Went down to Can Tire, slammed some X-Ice tires on them.

All in, $1000 Cdn down the drain --but the wheels look surprisingly good! Waaaaay better than black steel rims.

PVR
11-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Great deal espresso!

It seems the Pilot steel wheels are widely available (at least in Western Canada). Perhaps Honda overestimated the interest Pilot owners have in steel rather than alloy wheels. Their loss is our gain!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Ultrix/Element006.jpg
Anyone who wants a set of winter wheels may want to check with their local dealers to see if they have any Pilot steelies hanging around that can be had for a good price.

fhaxton
11-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Hakka CQ's 215/75/16 There's plenty of clearance for these tires.
So far so good. Tire noise less than the Wranglers.

gnoblin
11-14-2004, 12:35 PM
I have a 2004 GGM E EX w/auto.
I purchased 4 like new takeoff 2004 Accord V6 15" steel 20 hole wheels off ebay. Had 4 Bridgestone Dueller 215/75/15 MT (very close to diameter of original 16" Wranglers), aggressive mud tires installed . My dealer had take off centers for E steel wheels. I purchased 16 proper lug nuts w/ the plastic ring to hold caps on, used my alloy lock lugs on one lug each wheel.
Cost wheelsw/shipping $37.50 ea
tires $121.00 ea
center caps $5.00 ea
lug nuts $1.18 ea

I will run this set up from now until March for the inclement weather. The roads into my deer camp are hard packed dirt and get slick with any moisture. No ruts or holes so I'm not concerned about ground clearance. I have tried it out and am impressed with the AWD. Came up a wet grass hill with no detectable slippage. I have a 4x4 ATV to go to stands. I use the E to pull the ATV on a trailer to camp.
The tires do make a howling noise, as all aggressive tires do. I will live with it.

paulj
11-14-2004, 01:16 PM
With those Bridgestone MTs you probably get the prize for the most aggressive tread on an Element. The runner up probably was the person who put BFGoodrich T/A KOs on (225/70/16 size I think) (see recent updated thread on .org).

It is also good to know that these 15s wheels worked. I recall one post that claimed some sort of brake clearance issue with 15s, though that could have had to do with the amount of dishing of backside of the wheel rather than its diameter. I think some others have successfully put winter tires on 15s. A nice thing about the 215/75/15 size is the wide availability of models. 225/75/15 doesn't look too bad either.

There is a sticky under 'performance/tires/etc' that attempts to collect testimonials like this.

paulj

shaddow
11-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the tip on getting Pilot steel wheels from the dealer PVR. I got four Pilot steel wheels for $40 each. As for the lug nuts, dealer suggested to save money that I only needed 8 of the special lug nuts ($4 each) with the plastic washer to hold the plastic cap in place, and can use my original lug nuts for the rest. Due to an unrepairable flat on one of my stock Wrangler tires, I went and put snows on earlier than planned. I now have Nokian RSI snow tires in the 215/65/16 size. They were $150 each. (All prices in Canadian $) So far on dry pavement, the ride is bumpier than on the Wranglers but road noise is about the same.

PVR
11-17-2004, 02:19 PM
[quote:da90a050de="shaddow"]... I got four Pilot steel wheels for $40 each...[/quote:da90a050de]

:shock: The price is getting better and better all the time!

Do I hear $35? :D

Chin
11-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Our E has just been shod for the winter. At the local Discount Tire Store, 4 of the Michelin X - Ice 215's @ $115 each; 4 in-house alloy wheels ( called the "X" style or brand) listed at $77 each, but with a $100 pkg discount, meaning $52 each. It's possible the whole package might have been a bit cheaper elsewhere, but availability of selections seems to be getting thin. Plus, dealing with this store in the past has been a very positive experience. The whole thing; taxes, mounting, balancing, new lug nuts and lifetime rotation, flat repair, etc. was $725.52. Not cheap. Hopefully the fancy-schmancy rubber compound will be good on the ice, as well as the tires in general being good in the snow. So far ( the 3 miles I've driven) the stickier tires seem to give a bit more torque steer, and the tire noise is barely noticeable. Bring on the snow!!!!!

orient_heights
11-22-2004, 11:08 AM
E rims (new) on Ebay - $15 each plus shipping.

Bridgestone (dayton) Winterforce 215/16/70 studded $375 for 4.

Snow ain't flyin' yet but I'm anxious to see how the AWD performs.

Chin
11-22-2004, 12:11 PM
When we bought the tires, the tire mounter hadn't properly checked the tire pressures -one had 40lbs; another 28lbs. I adjusted all 4 to 34lbs., and it made a quantum, positive, difference in the feel and handling of the car. I'll continue to tweak the pressures to see what suits our personal preferences, without being crazy about it. On Saturday, on very icy roads, the E felt quite sure-footed slowing down (and stopping), and leaving STOP sign intersections. Very little change in road noise compared to the originals.

fhaxton
12-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Hey Espresso,
Check www.etires.com for Hakka CQ's. I didn't think they were that
expensive for these tires. I think they were about $460 for 4 including
shipping. Spent $28 for mounting & balancing all 4. I had to take them
back off the car b/c it got so worm here. Won't put them back on till
snow threatens.

Chin
12-01-2004, 04:00 PM
With our recent major snowfall ( 12" +) the Michelins have been unbelievably good in the snow, on the ice, starting, and stopping...the biggest surprise was the great gripping ability coming to stop signs. With all the vehicles we've owned, and the variety of snow tires we've worn out, we've never felt as secure and confident driving in snowy/icy conditions as in the E with these tires. Our only concern is that we don't get over-confident and screw up.

DOGBOX
12-01-2004, 04:15 PM
With our recent major snowfall ( 12" +) the Michelins have been unbelievably good in the snow, on the ice, starting, and stopping...the biggest surprise was the great gripping ability coming to stop signs. With all the vehicles we've owned, and the variety of snow tires we've worn out, we've never felt as secure and confident driving in snowy/icy conditions as in the E with these tires. Our only concern is that we don't get over-confident and screw up.

I am buying the same ones you have--Michelin Ice. They have them at Costco for $105. Size is not in stock, but they will special order at no extra charge.

Theelements
12-02-2004, 12:03 AM
i was thinkin of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43955&item=7937783808&rd=1

ePod
12-13-2004, 11:05 AM
i was thinkin of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43955&item=7937783808&rd=1Very sharp, until I noticed that shipping was not high on the list of seller priorities. I would think they should be boxed before shipping, which might run into big $$$; although Greyhound will ship bulky items for low cost.

Robcdnguy
01-12-2006, 10:23 AM
OK....So anyone in the SW Ontario area can thank me for purchasing steel rims and snow tires. We are now almost a complete month with no snow! :mad: LOL

InSaNeBoY
01-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Nokian Hakkia SUV 215/70-16 Studded all four tires, mounted, balanced, sales tax, etc. $501 :shock:

http://homepage.mac.com/macomber/Pict2/E/ST1.jpg

Al-a-ment
01-29-2006, 09:08 PM
I ended up getting a set of 15" steel wheels and hubcaps from Discount Tire along with some studded 225/75/15 tires. It's actually cheaper to buy 4 steel wheels and 4 15" snow tires than to buy 4 16" snow tires. Over time it will be a significant cost savings to buying the 15" tires, and my OEM 16" wheels will probably look better from skipping winter duty.

Cheers!

I used the same size and they work excellent!!!