Widest tire on E without rubbing? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Widest tire on E without rubbing?

LittleDogBox
10-13-2003, 04:19 PM
I want wider tires on the Element. I realize that if they are too wide they can rub. I decided against taller tires because of the speedometer issue, however I don't believe wider tires change the speedometer reading. Far as I know rubbing is the ONLY issue with wider tires.

What brand and size tire can anyone suggest here that they have been happy with that hasn't caused them any problems. Right now the stock tires I have are wearing out at 3200 miles. Goodyear Wranglers I have been told are crappy tires and I just may as well replace them. Eventually I plan to replace the wheels too when I can afford it.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

Oak Lawn Element
10-18-2003, 08:22 PM
You can check out tire size comparisons here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I put slightly taller tires, 235/70-16's. They just barely clear the rear lining of the inner fender when turned at full lock. It's the rolling diameter of the tire that seems to be more of an issue in my case.

It's hard to find just the right size for the E. I wanted wider but not taller in a city driving tire, but just couldn't find anything. So, stepped up to wider and a bit taller and have no ill effects from it. In the end, I sure like the look of the filled up fender well much better.

LittleDogBox
10-19-2003, 08:07 AM
[quote:134888d050="Oak Lawn Element"]You can check out tire size comparisons here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I put slightly taller tires, 235/70-16's. They just barely clear the rear lining of the inner fender when turned at full lock. It's the rolling diameter of the tire that seems to be more of an issue in my case.

It's hard to find just the right size for the E. I wanted wider but not taller in a city driving tire, but just couldn't find anything. So, stepped up to wider and a bit taller and have no ill effects from it. In the end, I sure like the look of the filled up fender well much better.[/quote:134888d050]

Sounds good, can you post pics of your tires?

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

Oak Lawn Element
10-19-2003, 06:07 PM
The pics are at the link in my sig. The album is showing red x's right now, but if you click on the pics, they are there.

MikeQBF
10-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Several Q's for OLE: Did you ask anyone about the cost of getting the speedo recalibrated for the new tires? Did it make any difference in your gas mileage (figuring that if it made no difference with an uncalibrated odometer, then it made a 4% improvement). Have you noticed any difference with the transmission shift pattern?

Thanks!

Oak Lawn Element
10-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Mike - the difference is pretty minimal. I didn't check on any recalibration of the speedo - I just know that for any indicated speed that I am going 4% faster. No discernible difference in mileage either, although it has to be noted that I put the bigger tires on long before the mill was broken in, so I can't really say that I have any valid comparison numbers.

MikeQBF
10-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Thanks! Yep, that's what I thought - 4% isn't a lot. I was wishing it could maybe take a 245, so thank you for your note about the clearance and saving me a bunch of time. Shouldn't complain, tho' - 215 to 235 is good enough, and checking your pics I agree with your assessment about filling the wheel arches.

I did the same thing on another vehicle, and the speedo was never an issue - 'cept when my buddy would be at the wheel on our annual trip to Ohio, where they cut no slack on the speed limit. I'd always have to remind him that it read 5% under. :?

Einstein
10-29-2003, 08:03 PM
Stock tires are 27.7" overall diameter (by specs not by calculation). Most 235/70-16s are listed as 29.0". That's 4.7% difference to be a little more exact, closer to 5% if you like to round off. :wink:

lae10851
10-29-2003, 08:42 PM
I replaced my 16s with 18s and am pretty happy. Tires are BFG Gforce 245/55Z/R18. Look and feel great!

Dive Hawaii
10-29-2003, 08:54 PM
when do we get to see some pics lae10851??
aloha

chitownpete
11-01-2003, 09:56 AM
Keep in mind that the wider the tire the more a vehicle will follow irregularties on the road. More attention, correction, and steering input are needed on less than great road conditions. Wider tires are also worse in snow and heavy rain. The Element has undersized tires so this shouldn't be a big issue but it is noticeable.
My previous Honda was a Civic EX and I used the stock width for long road trips
because the oversized tires caused a lot more wrist and mental fatigue. I will be getting wider tires next summer however as the 5-speed 2 wheel drive spins the tires all through first gear if you give it more than half throttle.

lae10851
11-01-2003, 11:49 AM
if anyone wants pics, email me and i will gladly send them. (Cant host any and dont know how to upload them)

failuretostop
11-01-2003, 01:22 PM
[quote:884ede87fa="Oak Lawn Element"]

It's hard to find just the right size for the E. I wanted wider but not taller in a city driving tire, but just couldn't find anything. So, stepped up to wider and a bit taller and have no ill effects from it. In the end, I sure like the look of the filled up fender well much better.[/quote:884ede87fa]

I notice a lot of body roll with the E. I'm wondering if the tires just have relatively soft sidewalls and going to a different make would lessen the roll. Or it's just the sidewall length that's making it roll. Did the body roll increase or stay the same?

Was the acceleration affected at all?

Do you find that the car tramlines more with the larger tires?

LittleDogBox
11-02-2003, 05:52 AM
[quote:3aa872a8df="lae10851"]I replaced my 16s with 18s and am pretty happy. Tires are BFG Gforce 245/55Z/R18. Look and feel great![/quote:3aa872a8df]

Let's see a pic of them if you don't mind.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.