Hauling Question [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Hauling Question

DobieMom
10-14-2003, 03:30 PM
I was going to buy an Element in the spring/summer 04 timeframe till I went out and bought a new puppy on Sunday. I need to figure out if the E has the room to carry two 85lb Dobermans, 60lb Husky Mix and a 15lb Ragdoll cat? If anyone knows if there is enough space to haul my furkids around I'll take all the info I can get. I really didn't want to have to spend a fortune on car payments. Thanks.
DobieMom

djc
10-14-2003, 06:08 PM
The E is a light weight vehicle.....
Your furry friends tip the scale 245/250.....depends on if they have taken care of business......
Depending on the "set up" of your intended purchase.......
As long as everything including driver blah bkah blah......
430 give or take a few pounds.....
Honda (and this I've not read) states 675 pounds- everything
______

( hope you understand the above)

lae10851
10-14-2003, 06:30 PM
[quote:e2d8f7797f="DobieMom"]I was going to buy an Element in the spring/summer 04 timeframe till I went out and bought a new puppy on Sunday. --. I really didn't want to have to spend a fortune on car payments. Thanks.
DobieMom[/quote:e2d8f7797f]

I suppose this is all relative, but I don't consider my payment of $350.00 a fortune. I have 3 dogs and this is by far the best vehicle for transporting them that I have ever had. It is so easy to clean, that you may want to consider the savings of time and money on cleaning a car interior.

For reference I have one German Sheperd/Australian Shep Mix that is about 60 lbs, A small finnish spitz abuot 20 lbs, and a terrier mix at about 35lbs. They all fit fine with plenty of room to go.

curly dog lover
10-14-2003, 09:05 PM
I initially chose an Element because it seemed like the perfect dog car. I have since fallen in love with it for other reasons, but it IS the perfect car for my canine companions. I compete in a lot of dog sports, ranging from conformation to agility, and haul a lot of gear. The best load so far has been:
2 large male Irish Water Spaniels (60 lbs each) in crates
1 female labrador (also in a crate)
Two humans
One EZ-Up tent
Three collapsable tent crates
Two folding chairs
Misc tarps
Training bags

And I didn't even have to use the roof rack!! Even loaded with all of this, the E drove effortlessly over uneven grassy areas and had impeccable manners on the 2 1/2 hour ride home from the trial!

Your dobies will love it!

M Ornett
10-14-2003, 10:00 PM
Two chesapeake bay retrievers (70 & 50) and a weimaraner (75) fit just fine with two seatbelted in back seats and one in cratein the back. One thing we did have to do though, all of the dogs were very skittish on the floors and slid around at lot, so we got the floor mats from Handa and a rear mat from Home Depot. All are easily cleaned with a hose (outside of the vehicle of course). We just wipe the seats down with a damp towel when they get dirty. Also, I think you could fit at least six dogs if they were loose and the seats either removed or up to the sides, though I don't recommend letting them ride loose - they don't make very good projectiles, plus they can too easily get through the hole between the front seats.

DobieMom
10-15-2003, 04:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll move forward then and make the purchase. When I said I didn't want a high car payment I was not referring to the E. I meant if I had to buy a larger vehicle to fit the furkids in. I know the E is affordable that's one of the reasons I wanted to get one. Thanks again for the info. Have a great day.
DobieMom