Honda moved my worn front tires to the rear ! [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Honda moved my worn front tires to the rear !

LittleDogBox
10-17-2003, 08:11 PM
My Element only has 3400 miles on it and the front tires were wearing on the outside. The front right tire was always low on air pressure and I had to keep putting air in it. When I took it in the service manager told me the that my E was very misaligned. So they fixed that, moved the worn tires to the rear and also told me that they never could find a leak in the tire.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

hownowcb
10-17-2003, 10:27 PM
Steel wheels may look dorky, but alloy wheels can be severly porous...they leak air like seives! If you gotta look cool, you gots to check the pressure in your tires religiously! It's not just a Honda problem...it's an alloy wheel problem! Live and learn, and then...learn to live WITH it! Or don't. That always remains an option.

LittleDogBox
10-18-2003, 07:56 AM
[quote:d955582508="hownowcb"]Steel wheels may look dorky, but alloy wheels can be severly porous...they leak air like seives! If you gotta look cool, you gots to check the pressure in your tires religiously! It's not just a Honda problem...it's an alloy wheel problem! Live and learn, and then...learn to live WITH it! Or don't. That always remains an option.[/quote:d955582508]

That is something I have honestly never heard of. I can't remember if my last 2 vehicles had steel or alloy.......though they never leaked, this is something totally new to me. I don't want them if they are just going to give me problems. I would rather purchase steel wheels along with new tires. Seems like I am replacing everything factory on the E.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

marky
10-18-2003, 10:59 AM
"All alloys wheels"
You're not kidding. The worst thing is that the leaks are completly random. My "E" losses about one pound per week on two of the wheels, but nothing on the others. My Ramcharger can be fine for months, then one tire goes flat in 12 hours.
I ended up getting a little air compresser, as most of the local "service" stations don't have air anymore.

Nat
10-18-2003, 11:12 AM
My steel wheel DX has also suffered some intermittent air loss as well as the outter 1" wear-out pattern on all 4 tires. Some air loss is just natural, some of mine has been excessive. I also have "misallignment issues" on my E. This is a Honda factory issue/Honda dealer prep issue. I'm expecting the worst from my dirtbag honda dealer when I try to bring this issue in. They are probably going to take the position of "blame the victim". This misallignment should be A SERVICE BULLETIN!.

Kigotai
10-18-2003, 11:29 AM
I've had my E for a month and I have had no air loss or alignment issues. Could this be a problem with the weather where you live or an issue on earlier year models of the E? I can kinda understand Honda rotating the fromt tires to the rear, sounds like they needed to be rotated, so you could get the remaining wear on them instead of chucking them. I am told that 3k miles is when you need to rotate your tires or you will indeed have problems with excessive wear and even alignment.

siclmn
10-18-2003, 10:00 PM
It's not the alloy wheel that leaks it is the surface of the alloy where it meets the rubber of the tire that causes the leak. A good repairman will clean the wheel where it is leaking and fix the problem.

medic4lee
10-19-2003, 01:16 PM
I manage a 4x4 accessory shop and we often have to break down (unmount)wheels and tires to fix a slow leak on the bead,bead seal usually solves the problem with leaking alloy wheels along with a good cleaning of the bead since the problem comes from the oxidizing of the alloy and aluminum wheels !

zetemo_52
11-04-2003, 10:20 PM
I had one car with alloy wheels, and they leaked and leaked. A tire shop mechanic told me that you have to remove the tires and burnish the rims annually. Well! I'm not so much into fashion and "unsprung weight" that I want such an extra item of maintenance! In addition you have to be careful about tightening the lug nuts, to avoid damage. And, they cost more. Steel sounds pretty good to me, and I have avoided alloy wheels ever since.

Unfortunately, this "feature" is bundled with the EX.

((Flame on)) Why do the automakers do this to us? I mean, invent "upgrades" that are more of a hassle to maintain, and cost more to replace. Another example of this is headlights. We used to be restricted by law to sealed beams. In Europe thay had all kinds of shapes, but we just had round, and later square. Then someone convinced the Washington that making them more aerodynamic would save gas. So now instead of a $15 standard sealed beam than you can buy anywhere and at competitive prices, you have an inner bulb for $15 and a $200 lens that only comes from the brand-name manufacturer. Pretty soon I guess we'll have to buy branded gas from the dealer -- ((Chill out))

hownowcb
11-05-2003, 12:23 AM
In the long run (lifetime of the product and the vehicle) my opinion (and only my opinion) is that alloy wheels are worth the trouble of checking the tire pressure bi-weekly. If that's too much bother for some folks (and it's just fine if it is) then, by all means, trade your alloys in for some steel rims and pocket the ka-ching.

Same goes for the headlight phenomenon mentioned; except that you can't go back in time. If you liked sealed-beam headlights (the standards for them were published in, oh, I forget, maybe 1907!), then by all means whine your asses off! But today's headlights are about a 2,000% improvement in illumination over what the U.S. used to allow! No, I don't like the prospect of having to pay for the replacement lens assembly (but have had my insurance company do it at least three times! And I did the labor myself to save them the added expense!). The new bulbs themselves, by the way, last about 10 times as long as sealed-beam headlights did. But get real, you whiners - if you want to go out and drive in the dark with 19th century lighting technology - just don't be on the same street I'm on! Yeah, what a great deal those $5.95 headlights were! Wake up!!! Or just don't drive in the dark -- please!!

BlackdogStudios
11-11-2003, 06:11 PM
what he said!

actually all of my standard 7 inch round lamps in all the carts i had i replaced the reflectors with motorcycle lenses, or tripods (old lucas lamps) and added h4 bulbs. always worked great !

hated the 7.00 headlamps that used to be.

best
D.

jimbob_texas
11-12-2003, 01:50 PM
I've got 3500 miles on my E, and there's outer tire wear on the front. I stopped by the dealership on the way home yesterday, and they've scheduled a Friday morning appointment to align the front end, and likely rotate the tires. :(

I'll update on the experience when it happens.

The wear on these tires is pathetic. At this rate, they won't last 10,000 miles.

jr

brendan
11-12-2003, 05:05 PM
[quote:b76b3cc44d="jimbob_texas"]I've got 3500 miles on my E, and there's outer tire wear on the front.[/quote:b76b3cc44d]

I noticed at 600 miles that my tires were all 27-28psi. They're back up to 32/34 now.

This might explain some of my own horrible gas mileage (on top of mostly small trips). And, it might also explain some, but not all, of the premature tread wear people are seeing on the tires if other people are driving around with chronically low tires as I had been...

-brendan

MRFOGGER
11-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Make sure they don't charge you for an 4wa. It's warranty for 12/12,000. as far as alloy wheels leaking the beads do get build up ,but not at 3400 miles. are you checking the air pressure with the tires cold? If you have a 4wd make sure all the air pressure is the same. Honda trans are very sensitive to variation in roll resitance