CUP HOLDERS [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: CUP HOLDERS

carmojoman
03-03-2003, 02:23 AM
Do the cup holders in the front hold big drinks. You know the big drinks from 7-11 ?

patedugan
03-03-2003, 09:29 AM
I doubt it...they're pretty dinky. I have one of those stainless steel thermos/mugs and it doesn't fit...my one and only complaint about my E so far.

boneheadz
03-03-2003, 10:25 AM
I agree that the cup holders are a pain. I am convinced that someone will come up with a aftermarket consel to fit between the seats and not interfear with the brake. (I wish the brake was on the dash like the CRV.) If no one comes up with one I will have to make it my self.

E-lated
03-03-2003, 10:31 AM
[quote:ea8b147855="carmojoman"]Do the cup holders in the front hold big drinks. You know the big drinks from 7-11 ?[/quote:ea8b147855]

Big Gulps can effect your fuel economy, stick to the medium size (buy three) hee hee :lol:

Simon
03-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Has anyone noticed the cupholders in the back seats are too shallow to hold anything. My kid's drinks has spilled ...

How much research would it take to get the cup holders right in 2003?

OkieBug
03-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Here is a link to hondsuv.com. It has a console/armrest by Steel Horse. It looks like it is over to the right so the parking brake and standard EX armrest can be used.

I did not get one because I frequently have to haul 10 ft planks of wood and I can load them right up to my dash. I got the bigger armrest and it works great but the cupholders are still in a awkward place. My dog thinks since the cup is on the floorboard it's fair game.

http://www.hondasuv.com/element/viewtopic.php?t=37&start=0

GYPSYTDA
03-12-2003, 07:41 PM
yeah there is one cup holder (front center one) that can fit a 24 ounce insulated cup perfectly, the rest well not.

I seem to recall seeing something that can fit into small holders to hold bigger cups.. if I come across it I will post it..

So this console you are mentioning does not make it hard to use the emergency brake?

SlowNEasy94
04-09-2003, 05:54 PM
I know a large McDonalds cup fits perfectly. They don't even budge around corner.

szacherau
04-10-2003, 07:57 AM
I do know it holds the 7-11 big gulp 32oz drink just fine. :lol:

StLouisPenguin
04-10-2003, 08:43 AM
I know the front cup holders hold 44oz Quick Trip Cups....and also the HUGE Lion's Choice Cup.....my chrome coffee cup fits just fine too :)

abkilbourne
04-10-2003, 11:00 AM
My stainless steel Starbucks coffee mug fits just fine - doesn't fit in my dad's Lincoln Navigator. The rear holders are a little shallow. I brought my mug with me on the test drive.

natural wonder
04-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Isn't it odd that in 2003, the whole cupholder size & placement is still an issue? I also find it odd that every car salescritter that I've ever experienced has made a big deal out of showing off the cupholders, no matter how ill conceived.

In the E, I like the fact that it puts the liquid down near the liquid-proof floor, and not someplace objectionable like over the stereo or in front of the AC controls. (I've had vehicles that did either or both of those things.) I'm actually of the opinion that cupholders shouldn't even be a permanently installed feature. Molding them as a permanent part of the vehicle is just about guaranteeing that they won't be in the right place, or the right size to suit all people. I wonder why the auto makers keep making them non-modular and non-adjustable?

szacherau
04-14-2003, 12:50 PM
I is also a great design by Honda on the E that the cup holders are a small tub. I was not watching the other day as I placed my soda down there and it fell over as I was driving. All the soda just pooled in the cup holders till I got home.

Very nice!

venture
04-14-2003, 03:09 PM
During my last trip to the dealer, I took a "honda", brushed stainless mug from the parts dept and tried it out. Fit fine. <$12.
8) ......shaka........

Drew
04-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Check your local Walmart or Targét for a little widget that you put in your cup holder to make it bigger - it's sort of like a bigger holder that sits in the little one. That'll practically hold a bucket!

Drew

venture
04-14-2003, 03:52 PM
During my last trip to the dealer, I took a "honda", brushed stainless mug from the parts dept and tried it out. Fit fine. <$12.
8) ......shaka........

natural wonder
04-14-2003, 10:13 PM
I found a $4.99 insulated, narrow bottomed mug at Wally World that fits just fine. I also note that most standard litre plastic water/soda bottles fit the middle holder. Still, I'll probably either go for the plug-in cooler/console/armrest/cupholder route, or the semi-custom console/armrest route with built in cupholders, just for the added utility.

jtgeorgia
12-12-2003, 08:05 PM
The small cupholders in the "E" are a problem for us "supersizers".

Here's something I found that works well in the E and still allows the other cupholder to be used:

http://www.ajprindle.com/index.jhtml?category=cat280068&product=10031&navAction=jump&navCount=2

hammersmn
02-20-2004, 10:36 PM
I am at a loss when it comes to understanding why the cup holders can only fit 12 oz. cans or 20 oz bottles of soda. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrofit/buy something that will allow me to fit in a beverage or cup that is 3-5 inches across?

Any help would be appreciated. My old vehicle had adjustable cup holders that would hold anything from a baby bottle to a 64 oz. mug (and that IS a big mug!!!)

joe1347
02-21-2004, 04:20 PM
http://www.avirtualmall.com/adehlnoprstu.html

However, I haven't been able to find anyone with the steel horse cup holder adapater in-stock.

jruschme
02-22-2004, 10:59 AM
[quote:9476b09dec=" "]http://www.avirtualmall.com/adehlnoprstu.html

However, I haven't been able to find anyone with the steel horse cup holder adapater in-stock.[/quote:9476b09dec]

Hmm... maybe here:

http://www.jeeppart.com/details.asp?cid=183

wodock
02-22-2004, 02:39 PM
I found an adjustable cup holder at K-Mart the fits in the "normal" cup holder to fit my rather large insulated Coffee mug - it was about $5.00 and works well enough - some what of a hassel to get into the couple holder at first but once it is in there it works fine.

wodock

BigFoot
02-22-2004, 06:18 PM
I also saw one at our one remaining K-Mart. It had an adjustable bottom that locked into the existing opening, then an adjustable top for the Big Gulps. The one they had left was missing the rubber covering on the bottom gripper, but it was definitely a good, small design.

wodock
02-22-2004, 07:14 PM
bigfoot said

"I also saw one at our one remaining K-Mart. It had an adjustable bottom that locked into the existing opening, then an adjustable top for the Big Gulps..."

Yep that is the one - I also think I saw on at Target too. You can tell I shop at all the chic stores.

wodock

hammersmn
02-24-2004, 08:14 AM
ThankyouThankyouThankyou.

From your descriptions, it sounds like the Target/Kmart holders are the ones I am looking for....

hammersmn
02-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Found what I needed at the local KMart! It was the type with the adjustable bottom (to fit in the cup holder, it locks in place), and the adjustable top to fit every size that I need.

Works great, except for one thing....because of the cutout in the back of the cupholder (in the E, where the two cupholders "join" - apparently an attempt to allow spills to flow everywhere), I had to angle the new addition so it is slightly over the emergency brake. Hopefully, I won't need the emeregency brake, but if so, the cupholder will pop right off (I tried, just to be sure!)

hammersmn
03-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Here's a link to a photo of the SpillMaster "Retro" cupholder:

http://www.silvicamp.de/images/smr1.gif

jruschme
03-01-2004, 09:01 AM
[quote:fa83f72fce=" "]I am at a loss when it comes to understanding why the cup holders can only fit 12 oz. cans or 20 oz bottles of soda. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrofit/buy something that will allow me to fit in a beverage or cup that is 3-5 inches across?[/quote:fa83f72fce]

I just noticed yesterday that while the two center console cupholders have the same size base, the front one is actually terraced. I assume that this is to allow the driver a larger size cup (Big Gulp?), although the cup would only be supported by the edges and not seat all the way to the bottom.

Nice touch, though. Now, if only the 1 litre bottled water I prefer didn't have a fluted bottom... :-(

brendan
03-01-2004, 11:44 AM
[quote:2652795884=" "]Here's a link to a photo of the SpillMaster "Retro" cupholder:

http://www.silvicamp.de/images/smr1.gif[/quote:2652795884]

Heh. "SpillMaster" seems like a bad name for a product that's there to prevent spilling...it sounds like it spills best!

-brendan

Bill in Houston
03-02-2004, 11:00 AM
[quote:0f630dae37=" "]Heh. "SpillMaster" seems like a bad name for a product that's there to prevent spilling...it sounds like it spills best![/quote:0f630dae37]

Maybe "AntiSpill Master"? Looks like it would be a good cup holder.

Bill

tango
02-20-2006, 02:24 AM
I find the floor console cup holders quite difficult to reach with the large armrest down. I rejected the under-armrest pull-out drink holders as too small and also, for me, in the way of reaching cell phone, iPod etc. So for over a month now I have looked for the "right" add-on cupholder. I have studied and rejected at least 50 - even looked at no-spill mounted ones that tilt on boating equipment sites. I saw these on the Bell site, but no retailers listed. Took me 5 days of searching and Googling to find a retail site that sold them online. They fit perfectly (and stick down securely) in front of the floor console and behind the sub. They hold many sizes of drinks and bottles securely thru turns, stops and bumps. They are unobtrusive and sturdy.
So, in case anyone wants to get the same I found them at (of all places) a Toyota site. $15 for 2 plus shipping. They are called the Octopus.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/inkstudios/octopus_cupholder.jpg
http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1441&osCsid=59deb6c5ac2d5dac7049cbcbe09be6c6

johnsonwax
02-20-2006, 03:04 AM
I'm curious about this endless quest for larger cupholders.

I have a friend who went through a similar quest to find the perfect travel coffee cup. It lasted months. He found one, out of stock - tracked down the guy listed on the patent for some part of the cup to find out where to buy them. It was really quite something to watch.

Anyway, I have a pair of good insulated cups (hot/cold) that fit the cupholder in our car quite snugly. Anytime we're running about and pick up a drink to take in the car, I just transfer it to one of these. Because they're insulated, the drink lasts longer anyway. Just wash them out when you get home.

Doesn't address the 'reach' issue, but it seems like a simpler solution for those that find the stock ones too small.

Junebug
02-20-2006, 10:12 AM
My brother got me an Octopus years ago, but it was to make fun of the thing ... called Octopus and with only five or six legs ... :D

Glad it works for your purpose though!

cdubea
02-20-2006, 10:51 AM
They are unobtrusive and sturdy.
So, in case anyone wants to get the same I found them at (of all places) a Toyota site. $15 for 2 plus shipping. They are called the Octopus.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/inkstudios/octopus_cupholder.jpg
http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1441&osCsid=59deb6c5ac2d5dac7049cbcbe09be6c6

Looks like a pretty cool solution. It is sort of embarrassing to have to buy this from a Toyota Parts Store though! I'll have to put some velcro on mine as I've got the carpet mats, but this will certainly minimize reaching around the armrest to get to the cup holder.

Thanks for your efforts and sharing with us.

tango
02-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm small (5'2") and I have to have the seat at maximum height, then I sit on a cushion and I have the seat fairly far forward as well. By the time I got the seat right and installed the big armrest, reaching the cup holder while driving was an exercise in contortion and object identification by touch. I could not even see the floor console, much less reach it. Using the cupholder while driving was close to impossible and I wanted to be able to reach my phone (next to the shifter) and my iPod (far left passenger cubby) AND my drink without taking my eyes off the road. The vent mounted holders were too flimsy, I didn't want stuff screwed into the doors, dash etc so that left finding something that would sit securely between the sub and the existing floor console and look "right" doing it. Something as simple, rugged and utilitarian as the E. Not easy.
Figured there might be some other "vertically challenged" or less than olympic gymnast limber members who had experienced the same problem.... and were as "picky" as I was. I rarely get in the car without a Dr Pepper and it was one of those seemingly small issues that was, in the way of small inconveniences, driving me nuts. :grin:

rhythm_ace
02-20-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm the worst caffeine junkie in the world and I found the cupholders pretty insufficient as well.

One concern of mine would be that if you should drop your drink while putting it back, it could damage the subwoofer.

I went with this:

http://www.hopkinsmfg.com/cupholdersintro.html

I'm not totally satisfied with it. I think if it weren't for that rectangular slot between the two cupholders, it would hold. As is, it can move and in a quick turn, it's anybody's guess. I tried wrapping some foam around the base to wedge it in better, but I'm still not totally satisfied.

I think they make a double cupholder. Both the bottom AND the top adjust, so theoretically you could span the two, i.e. use both existing cupholders for a more solid footing. I'm going to be looking at those.

tango
02-20-2006, 03:46 PM
I looked at those - just wouldn't work for me.:sad:
I thought about the "spillage" issue and decided that spilling a drink ANYWHERE in the front area (including tipping from the current cupholder) has the potential to spill onto the subwoofer so I figure that A the sub is designed to be pretty spill proof and B I am not any more likely (and maybe less likely) to spill with the cupholders adjacent to the sub especially since I can actually SEE the cupholder.
Of course I am pretty "neat" in my vehicles and have seldom spilled anything. In fact the inablity to see the cupholders under the armrest/console made me feel more prone to spilling.
I saw a cupholder that fits all the way into the OEM cupholder for larger drinks - you might give a look at one of those if you haven't already.

SamIam
04-21-2006, 05:05 AM
I've actually gotten used to the cupholders on the floor. I have imagined using the cheap dealies you can get at the auto parts store that go in your side window, but I roll the windows up and down too much for that.

How about this?

http://cnb-host1.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/save-and-drive?productID=1211&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=1478

Mmm sandwiches....

lifeizgood
04-21-2006, 07:38 AM
...but I roll the windows up and down too much for that...

I you have side airbags, and if I recall correctly, you're not supposed to put anything on the door like that.

If I recall correctly...

SamIam
04-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I you have side airbags, and if I recall correctly, you're not supposed to put anything on the door like that.

If I recall correctly...
Hey you didn't graduate from M.I.T. didja?

corbow
04-21-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm small (5'2") and I have to have the seat at maximum height, then I sit on a cushion and I have the seat fairly far forward as well. By the time I got the seat right and installed the big armrest, reaching the cup holder while driving was an exercise in contortion and object identification by touch. I could not even see the floor console, much less reach it. The vent mounted holders were too flimsy, I didn't want stuff screwed into the doors, dash etc so that left finding something that would sit securely between the sub and the existing floor console and look "right" doing it. Something as simple, rugged and utilitarian as the E. Not easy.
Figured there might be some other "vertically challenged" or less than olympic gymnast limber members who had experienced the same problem.... and were as "picky" as I was.

I too am vertically challenged, and I'm hoping there will be a way to retrofit the center console Honda is proposing for the 2007 models into my 2006. It looks like it sits higher up and addresses this problem. In the meantime, I'm as picky as you and hoping to find a solution!

lifeizgood
04-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey you didn't graduate from M.I.T. didja?

No, but I went through Princeton.

...on my way to Falls Church.

louder
07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
For anyone out there -

My wife really likes the Element, BUT she's a 5 ft. 4 inches tall, and it's hard for her to reach the cup holders located ON THE FLOOR. I've been researching about possible after-market cup holders that would be in arm's reach for her.
Has anyone seen this ashtray/cupholder made for the Pilot that supposedly fits the Element? Also, any thoughts on a possible aftermarket storage unit to fit between the seats?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

lazysailor
07-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Welcome to the EOC! I'm pretty new myself, but I've found that since the Element, and this forum have been around for awhile, almost everything I could possibly think of regarding the E has already been discussed here, usually more than once. I think if you do some searching you'll find a lot of discussions on this topic, and hopefully lots of ideas and solutions. Here's one to get you started (http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21185&highlight=cupholder)

walletclan
07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Someone makes those cheap plastic cup holders that mount in the window slot in the door. That is an easy solution.

Totin' Notes
07-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Maybe one of these (http://www.seniorshops.com/reacher.html) would do the trick? :)

- Jeff

chozn4service
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
I took one of the cup holders that you get a Walmart, I think they come like 4 in pack, anyway, I took one of them and placed it in front of the gear shifter. The tab that would go down in the window trim is the right size to fit in the space at the bottom of the shifter selector so that the drink is right there in hand reach in front, but at the top of the subwoofer. I don't have a problem with the ones on the floor but when I do have a beverage and I'm traveling, it makes it easy to see it and reach it. No drilling needed and when you don't need it or tire of having it there, pull it out but I leave mine there all the time. They come in grey which matches the Element trim color and they also have them in black. Take your pick. Hope this helps.

Peace

bridgetts
07-12-2006, 07:37 PM
http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html

walletclan
07-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Maybe one of these (http://www.seniorshops.com/reacher.html) would do the trick? :)

- Jeff

Good one!!!!

Snflwr7grl8
07-13-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm around her height and I have actually gotten used to where the cup holders are..in fact most of the time I don't even have to look when I'm putting my coffee mug down... I actually like where they are...

My husband's parents got him this gift (which I told him won't be going in the E, because of how awful it looks) that may be what you need... it actually is a tray that the base sits in the cup holder and extends upward... I'm not sure where they got it, possibly from Target (they get everything from there) or Walmart

GwenEle
07-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Same here, about 5' 4.5", reaching the cup in the cup holder isn't a problem for me, it was lower than I'm used to, but familiar now. It's just a little small for a water bottle, holds coffee just fine.

GwenEle
07-13-2006, 08:46 PM

- Jeff

Did they rip the arm off of R2D2 or something? How awful! Wait until Luke sees that.....

Ironfish653
07-15-2006, 07:04 AM
http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html

Ultimate Cupholder nothing. Check this out!

The Real Ultimate Cupholder (http://www.4x4rockshop.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=10674)
http://www.tellico4x4.com/images/products/bcs/bcs-f2.jpg

Grivas
07-15-2006, 08:31 AM

- Jeff

I really could not stop after I read this... man that is a good one..

12voltman
08-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi folks,

Constant lurker here, not a poster like I used to be on the Nissan Frontier forums. I appreciate all the tips you guys have posted, you have certianly saved me some time (and cost me some money!).

Hopefully I have a mod for a cupholder that someone else can use. I purchased a pair or 4" square foldable cupholders from a guy on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170024488518&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.search.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3Ff rom%3DR40%26satitle%3D170024488518%26fvi%3D1 that looked like I could mount above the factory subwoofer. At 4" wide, two of them are a little wide to fit side-by-side, so I just mounted one intending it to be for the driver's use.

I used double sided foam tape on the back of the holder to help level out the contour of the sub housing and temporarily hold it in place, then carefully drilled 5 holes and used the short screws supplied with the holders to secure it in place. I wasted a few minutes (and two plastic pop-rivets) removing the plastic grill enclosure and installing the holder. As it turned out, I mounted it high enough that the screws did not hit the subwoofer surround, and could have saved myself the grief of removing the enclosure.

I think it turned out great! I have a Honda storage armrest coming later this week, and wanted a holder that would be easy to get to. The front console holder can now be for the passenger, since they will have no problem accessing it.

I attached a few quick snapshots. Sorry for the quality of the photo, it is dark now and I didn't have a whole lot of time. I attached an additional pic of a basket that Walmart is now carrying in their arts and crafts section. It fits perfectly in back of the center console and is much better than the Dollar store white plastic one I have been using. I will probably spray paint it later. BTW, the cupholder is very sturdy and of high quality plastic.

Thanks!

12voltman

gn_it&rn-it
08-30-2006, 08:01 PM
nice McGiver 'n there!!! But did they not have a grey one on E-bay???( you know, to match?)

12voltman
08-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Click on the link and see. He had several colors, including grey. He actually is constantly selling them, and advertises them for various cars (Mercedes, Volvo, Suburu, etc.). They are all the the same holders.

Thanks!

12voltman

gn_it&rn-it
08-30-2006, 08:21 PM
im not trying to start anything here, i just wanted to congrat u on the good idea, and also know if black was the only option, and do you care that it doesnt somewhat match the interior so its not as noticeable???

bofus
08-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Remember that there are vents underneath the front seats. I see in your pictures that an umbrella may be blocking the vent.

Regards,

12voltman
08-30-2006, 08:34 PM
It actually matches closer than it appears in the photo. The grey on his eBay page looked a little too light to me, and I have the titanium/black interior anyway. I could easily unscrew it and spray paint it with plastic paint if it bothered me. What I may do is find a sheet of rubber or foam to use instead of the white double sided tape. The tape *does* bother me a little because it shows from the side, but like I said, it's easy to pull off and modify.

Works for me...

12voltman

12voltman
08-30-2006, 08:41 PM
"Remember that there are vents underneath the front seats. I see in your pictures that an umbrella may be blocking the vent"

Yup! The umbrella is normally in the passenger seatback bungee... I tossed it into the floor after I used the other day and it ended up under the seat.

Thanks tho' Bofus!

bacchus1310
08-30-2006, 09:47 PM
I might just have to give them a try. The dont look too bad.

PugMom
08-30-2006, 10:53 PM
VERY NICE! And I just might have to get a couple for hubby and kid who have civics and crappy cup holders!!!

ShotOnce
08-30-2006, 10:58 PM
I like the basket, it has a nice homey feel to it.

djeddiebear
08-30-2006, 11:26 PM
I picked up a bunch of these for the van conversion i built. They were at the local RV store (which is next to the RV dealer..).

Jim_NH
05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I posted this on an ongoing thread in the "Interior" section, but lots of discussion about consoles and cup holders here too, so thought I'd put it here as well.

I solved my storage problems by buying the larger armrest, the black nylon "console" for between the seats (fits great, from Sears), and building a non-console, non-armrest cupholder sized for cans of Diet Coke and cups from Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts. The cupholder is just wedged in between the floor console and the subwoofer, and doesn't need to be screwed to the car. It works killer, and was easy to make (hardest part is finding the drill bit to drill the big holes) with a router, drill press, bandsaw and cordless drill. I might paint it black...but probably not as this was the "prototype".

JIM in NH

Atomic-EX
05-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Very cool! Good work :)

Critical_level2
05-25-2007, 08:29 PM
looks really nice. YOu could probably make a bunch and sell them on Ebay to make a few bucks.

bikerjosh
05-26-2007, 09:47 AM
You should make plans and post them. You could probably find a number of buyers for actual size templates/patterns for the pieces of the console.
cool
josh

Jim_NH
05-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I will trace the parts and post a drawing somewhere on the site -- probably on the thread in the "Interiors" section. I will work on it this weekend after getting back from the beach tomorrow. Maybe will also build a console style version and post that for anyone that is interested...I have drawn it up and it looks workable as well, though I am very happy myself with what I have now. Thanks for the positive feedback, glad that others might want to build their own. Stay tuned...

JIM in NH
2003 Blue (?) EX AWD

Bill in Houston
05-26-2007, 08:54 PM
I like it. Nice work.

Jim_NH
06-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Here is a pic of the finished project. Complete description and link to Photobucket pics posted on the thread under "Interiors".

Tree Fort Bikes
06-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Looks great but does the sub vibrate against it?

Jim_NH
06-16-2007, 07:34 AM
No, it doesnt' touch the sub except at the top near the shifter.

It doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

robert2605
06-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Jim's idea finished(almost) with blue vinyl and stainless steel. great for tall drinks.

Bald Eagle
06-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Nice job. I've been thinking about doing something similar for over three years now, but just haven't gotten around to it. You may have inspired me.

PAPER_GUY
06-13-2008, 03:31 PM
lol

Just got my element yesterday, and was driving it on my paper route last night/this morning for the first time

I had my crack in a can (Monster energy drink) in the cup holder. Took a sip, and put it back down.

couple minutes later I want another sip and look down to find my drink turned over and I have a pool of energy drink in the cup holder cubby hole. :-|

got all my newspapers sticky, all over the floor, and pretty much pissed me off for the whole night.

:-x

and finally the point of this thread.....

What alternatives do I have as far as cup holders/ center consoles?

I read up on the SC console mod, and im not spending 4-500 bucks on it.

I know they make all kinds of consoles for jeeps and what not, so what are my options other than the SC console mod?

lizzurd
06-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I built my own.....it is far from perfect but it holds my drinks at the right height and no spills.

Kind of Blue
06-13-2008, 03:55 PM
I think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.baronbob.com/Drink-HatYellow-main.jpg

(WTF can't I Hyperlink?)

PAPER_GUY
06-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I built my own.....it is far from perfect but it holds my drinks at the right height and no spills.

i was considering this.

Function> form. I could care less how it looks as long as it works (I bought this ugly ass element right? ;-):lol:)

ahve any pics of yours?

lizzurd
06-13-2008, 03:59 PM
i was considering this.

Function> form. I could care less how it looks as long as it works (I bought this ugly ass element right? ;-):lol:)

ahve any pics of yours?

Not on my work PC...I will look when i get home. If i don't have any i will get a couple over the weekend.

PAPER_GUY
06-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Not on my work PC...I will look when i get home. If i don't have any i will get a couple over the weekend.

thanks bud, i appreciate it :cool:

fcz1
06-13-2008, 04:07 PM
You could stop drinking out of those skinny little cans...

PAPER_GUY
06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
You could stop drinking out of those skinny little cans...

the diameter of the can is the same as every soda can, just 16oz Ithink so its taller.

this was not redbull in the little cans. :)

NV_05_AWD
06-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Sell it,.... QUICK !!!!!!!!!!!!

DLIVRY7
06-15-2008, 10:26 AM
driving a car on a paper route ? aren't you supposed to be on a bicycle ?
"i want my two dollars!"

HAGASAN
06-15-2008, 10:49 AM
The cup holders are great, havent spilled a beer bottle yet! :)

chem-medic
06-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I found a width adjustable 2 cup holder that I fastened a piece of "beaver puke" (OSB) and a piece of black poly closed cell foam to the bottom of and then painted black and put the nonslip stuff on the bottom of. Pics to follow soon. I placed this between the sub and the original equipment not so good cupholders

supermaruchi
06-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Must be driving fast, I never had a problem.

DieKeis
06-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Put your beer, err... energy drink in a koozie. One of the fat ones, not the little foldable skinny ones. Fits right in the front cup holder.

Then again you may be able to stuff one of the skinny ones down into the hole futher for a super snug fit. I haven't tried it yet, though.

lizzurd
06-15-2008, 01:20 PM
thanks bud, i appreciate it :cool:

This is a very crude 1st shot at a console using some scraps laying aroung my work shop and the tools i had at the time. I am in the process of coming up with a full length design that will still allow me to use the storage armrest and have hidden storage as well. The cup holder is the insert from the SC console.

Critical_level2
06-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I have a 20oz coffee every morning from wawa and it never has spilled from the cup holder during my morning commute down the race track, I mean I-95.

Prkchpsndwiches
06-15-2008, 11:38 PM
The cup holders are great, havent spilled a beer bottle yet! :)

Haha:D! Almost spit my drink out:???::-D:???:

Junebug
06-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Someone did something with some PVC pipe which made the drink holder taller, which might solve your problem with the tall cans. Not sure if the pictures are still on the site or not.

perfdata
06-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Two words - SC console.

Seriously, pull your console up and clean up underneath it. The previous slob, I mean owner, of my E spilled several times and when I pulled the stock console up there was rust down there and a gooey mess.

PAPER_GUY
06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Two words - SC console.

Seriously, pull your console up and clean up underneath it. The previous slob, I mean owner, of my E spilled several times and when I pulled the stock console up there was rust down there and a gooey mess.

two words

four hundred plus dollars (and thats the cheapest i saw)

aint no way im spending 400+ shipping on a dang console. I could spill almost 200 energy drinks at that price before I broke even :lol:

im lookint at the jc whitney catalog when I get home... they have ALOT of console options for jeep wranglers etc and im sure one has to be close to the right size

perfdata
06-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'm with you on $400 being a ton of cash. Got mine (SC console) a year ago when they came with the sub, sold the sub and old armrests, net cost $100. Had a leather lid cover made to match the leather Pilot steering wheel.

I like your idea of adapting one from a Jeep.

ramblerdan
06-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Someone did something with some PVC pipe which made the drink holder taller, which might solve your problem with the tall cans. Not sure if the pictures are still on the site or not.

The ones I made fit the Clutter Catcher Model 542 storage console, but the idea also applies to the OEM cupholders.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/images/cc08.jpg (http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/clutter_catcher.htm#cupholders)

Meanwhile, I've seen quite a few aftermarket cupholder adapters out there. One need only look.

MICHAEL WATTS
06-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Where Are You Delivering Newspapers At? I'm An Agent For The Washington Post In Lake Ridge Va. Have 6000 Customers. Been In The Business For 25 Years.

WhatToDo
06-18-2008, 10:00 PM
"i want my two dollars!"

:lol::lol::lol:

I sooooo love that movie!

"Sorry, Johnny, I don't have a dime"

"Didn't ask for a dime. Two Dollars"

"My little brother got his arm stuck in the microwave so my mom took him to the hospital. My grandma dropped acid this morning and freaked out. She hijacked a busload of penguins. It's sort of a family crisis. Bye!"

:D:D:D - yes I have too much time on my hands and watch silly '80's movies over and over and over :rolleyes::D

PAPER_GUY
07-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Where Are You Delivering Newspapers At? I'm An Agent For The Washington Post In Lake Ridge Va. Have 6000 Customers. Been In The Business For 25 Years.

im about 30-45 minutes west of St louis.... just far enough out in the country to not be considered suburbia.

I currently service about 375 customers, 7 days a week. My route is 120ish miles long.

so far its been an awesome paper delivery vehicle. I like it alot more than I thought i would.

Keagann
04-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I once heard it is very common for women to buy cars based on silly things like cup holders, visor mirrors, and how it feels while driving in high heeled shoes. I laughed at this. Scoffed.

Being a women I vowed never to buy a car based on such frivalous and inconsequential matters such as these.

However. I am now eating my words.

I love my Element. LOVE it. However, the placement of the cup holders on the floor are going to be the death of me. I can't ever get anything in or out of them without it being a giant ordeal. I've got the upgraded console/arm rest combo, so it's an even bulkier area to get under to place or pick up my steaming cup of tea.

I have searched everywhere for a modification to the element to allow for cupholders to be placed somewhere higher. I have come up with nothingness. I've thought about rigging up something on my own, even tried with those cheap-o window hanging cup holder things. Disastrous. I need help.

Any suggestions?

Lorrie420
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Try a different cup . I put my coffee in the cup holder and have no problems . It just takes some time to get used too. I use a stainless steel insulated cup with a flip up top so in case I have a mishap picking it up it won't go all over the place .

I have this one made by copco just without the handle .

jazzy007
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
You could get a Proclip (http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=144&pageid=8329&processor=content&pcategoryid=12954&categoryid=13384&p_origin=144&p_sectionid=144&p_pageid=8901&p_processor=asp&p_asp_processor=product&p_action=proclipcategorysearch&p_ppagecategoryid=13872&p_pagecategoryid=14172&p_pcategoryid=12954&p_categoryid=13384&p_sitecategoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=0&p_leftorright=) clip-on mount, & maybe get a folding cup holder or any other lightweight cup holder with mounting hole on the back. It will sit high next to your radio.
You may also need to get a Tilt Swivel Mount (http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=364&pageid=8655&processor=content&p_origin=364&p_sectionid=364&p_pageid=13153&p_processor=&p_asp_processor=&p_action=&p_ppagecategoryid=&p_pagecategoryid=&p_pcategoryid=&p_categoryid=&p_sitecategoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=0&p_leftorright=) to keep you cup holder vertical, since radio dash is not really vertical.
Just make sure this may not able to handle heavyweight cup.

Another custom mount is Panavise (http://www.panaviseonline.com/product.php?id=1366). They are screw mount, which may able to handle heavier cup than clip-on.

Keagann
04-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Try a different cup . I put my coffee in the cup holder and have no problems . It just takes some time to get used too. I use a stainless steel insulated cup with a flip up top so in case I have a mishap picking it up it won't go all over the place .

I have this one made by copco just without the handle .

It isn't the cup that's the problem, it's the fact that the cupholders are on the ground.

mkh
04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Cooler-Vent-Drink-Can-Cup-Holder-Interior-Mount_W0QQitemZ380114165220QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3801141652 20&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ht_2204wt_9 32

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Air-Vent-Drink-Can-Cup-Bottle-Holder-Insert-21-262_W0QQitemZ120400236215QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item120400236215&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ht_4932wt_1 030

Keagann
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Cooler-Vent-Drink-Can-Cup-Holder-Interior-Mount_W0QQitemZ380114165220QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3801141652 20&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ht_2204wt_9 32

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Air-Vent-Drink-Can-Cup-Bottle-Holder-Insert-21-262_W0QQitemZ120400236215QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item120400236215&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ht_4932wt_1 030

These are two very awesome suggestions. :) Have you personally tried any of them? I wonder what their weight capacity is. Thanks so much!

patm
04-03-2009, 05:03 PM
I hear you - try having 2 dogs that like to pop their heads between the seats to say Hi - dog drool on the cup tops! I don't really have a problem with them on the floor, but still haven't got the hang of putting my cup back without having to look for the hole. And it's fallen over a couple of times, in which case all the liquid went nicely into the little square container behind the holders and stayed there till I could wipe it up. I thought of getting the add-on armrest, but realized that I wouldn't be able to get at my coffee easy enough.

protaganis
04-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't hook those to my vents, the weight of one can will put some serious strain on the plastic and one good (or bad) bump will take the vent apart. I saw it happen on a friends car with a vent mounted GPS.
I'd get something to mount on the center console, just below the shifter. Put a backer plate (or use a non expanding epoxy to reinforce the area) to distribute the weight and you should be okay.

DLIVRY7
04-10-2009, 09:26 AM
i can't find it, but a long time ago someone posted some cool cup holders that you can screw onto the ebay center console.
works just fine, easy to reach, holds all sizes of mugs/cups.

nyaznelement
04-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Hey guys I've been actively searching for a cup holder solution and I think I found it. I didnt do it yet but some people might find it interesting. Its the cheapest out of all solutions (will require some trimming or non at all). All u need to do is extend your existing cup holders with them and they fold back flat. That would really be cool for rear seat cup holders. When not in use they are flat and when your kids have bigger drinks they would be more secured from the spills. What do you guys think? by the way it costs only $3 maybe you can find it cheaper in your dollar stores. thanks. you should paint it to match your interior or they have it in stainless steel but they are more expensive. PS. you dont need the base and cover. thanks

jazzy007
04-17-2009, 11:23 AM
That would really be cool for rear seat cup holders. When not in use they are flat and when your kids have bigger drinks they would be more secured from the spills. What do you guys think?

I have not tried it, but are you sure rear cup holder does not hold larger drink?
Also, does this "extension" has larger diameter than existing rear cup holder, so it could hold "larger" drink?
:confused:

nyaznelement
04-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I am not sure how large is your drink gonna be, but rear stock cup holders could not hold even regular drinks i think if you like sportsy or even regular driving. I am just gonna use three out of four extensions so when not in use they go all the way in and they r flat with the seats if I ever have three people in the back. But if you look online I am sure you might fight a jumbo foldable cup holders. Not sure if they will fit into base of the rear cup holders thou but try .

winstonperil
04-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey guys I've been actively searching for a cup holder solution and I think I found it. I didnt do it yet but some people might find it interesting. Its the cheapest out of all solutions (will require some trimming or non at all). All u need to do is extend your existing cup holders with them and they fold back flat. That would really be cool for rear seat cup holders. When not in use they are flat and when your kids have bigger drinks they would be more secured from the spills. What do you guys think? by the way it costs only $3 maybe you can find it cheaper in your dollar stores. thanks. you should paint it to match your interior or they have it in stainless steel but they are more expensive. PS. you dont need the base and cover. thanks

I had a 2006 Dodge Ram that had cupholders like that.

JxB
04-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Has anyone used RAM mount cup holders?

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/DrinkCupMounts/tabid/1546/Default.aspx

I use RAM GPS mounts on my motorcycles and really like them. For instillation in the Element, I was considering using individual RAM balls placed directly on the dash or above the sub. This would also give some flexibility for switching out iPod or GPS mounts.

http://jabaker.smugmug.com/photos/519031602_4u7KU-S.jpg

ik632
04-23-2009, 09:43 AM
When I first got my E my wife complained that it felt like a stranger van inside (the funky doors, rubber floor, and lack of anything between the front seats). $250 later, I have an SC console installed (from junkyard, epoxy to fix what they broke, new rubber inserts from Honda, and metallic gray paint to match the black shiny bits). My wife likes it much better now, and even has a little place to put her pocket book (that little nook in front of the woofer). I guess I went from stranger to danger :cool: